Planning my HT Room

Looks interesting, if this does what it claims I am in. Anyone having first hand experience of these? Where can I check them out in Bangalore?
-Manish

Way to go friends!! George, Raj, Manish and Govind - go for a group deal. Do checkout Vindoor also. The NRC and other specs seem to be quite good.

Way to go friends!! George, Raj, Manish and Govind - go for a group deal. Do checkout Vindoor also. The NRC and other specs seem to be quite good.

Yep, group buy would be good, especially if we all buy the same tiles. Probably we can get the same contractor to install too. While doing your theater, did you consider printing designs on the cloth before covering the tiles? I am thinking of doing it as I want to make them look like wall hanging. Any ideas where I can get cloth printing done (on polyester or silk)? Thanks

Hi Goovind

What did they quote per sft for their material? I need so get the final appearance quite understated, since I want to exercise the option of using this room as a lounge should I want to.It is mainly to be used as an audio/HT room though.

George

I got my false ceiling tiles from Anutone today. black MAT Solo. costed me about Rs. 58/sq ft...

Looks like I will push the wall cladding work by about 2-3 months. Just want to finish the false ceiling and setup the things once and takea small break from the project. Everyone at home is fed up with the civil work as it has taken about 4-5 months to build the room from scratch. Started with a simple remodeling of car garage and a HT room on top of that. but, few additional work got added and the work went on and on and on...

There was another option from Windoor in a recent thread for acoustic wall cladding. I'm planning to check that as well. I got a quick quote from them, which is really worth exploring.
http://www.hifivision.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=116219

Yep, group buy would be good, especially if we all buy the same tiles. Probably we can get the same contractor to install too. While doing your theater, did you consider printing designs on the cloth before covering the tiles? I am thinking of doing it as I want to make them look like wall hanging. Any ideas where I can get cloth printing done (on polyester or silk)? Thanks
Raj, during my HT build, I came across a shop on Commerical Street which does fantastic prints (mostly floral or ethnic) on Poly-silk for curtains mainly. Shop is on the left hand side much before Westside and is on the first floor. The shop-owner is a young chap and is very open to new ideas. He gave me an offer wherein he would design some curtains for me in any waste cut pieces. I considered some prints at that time but finally bought real raw silk from Mysore Silk Udyog since raw silk was less shinier which is good for absorption.

EDIT: There is one more shop next to Bhagatram which also does prints, but I found it to be more expensive

Had a detailed chat with Manish this morning, and we will wait for Govind to give us the price indication on the boards before proceeding. Manish will check, sometime this week with Praveen if Anutone boards can be painted to match the walls, before deciding on the final appearance.

I favour covering the tiles with fabric, but will decide as we go along.I dont have a carpenter for fixing the tiles at this time, and I am also open to a single guy to do the job. I also havent taken a final decision on the carpeting.

George

Guys, one of things I like about the Silance board is that it requires no backing or framework. The board can be covered as is and mounted on the walls. I have seen a sample piece and it look good as well as weighs next to nothing. It comes in 9'x4' panels.

Mr. Patel claims it absorbs 70% of the sound and that is good enough.

Unfortunately, Windoor does not have any dealers as of now, and we have to deal with them directly.

Cheers

Unfortunately, Windoor does not have any dealers as of now, and we have to deal with them directly.

Cheers
This is where group deals will really help. Before I decided on Anutone, I contacted a company(Fibratex IIRC) in the north and the shipping costs itself was a deal-breaker for me.

This is where group deals will really help. Before I decided on Anutone, I contacted a company(Fibratex IIRC) in the north and the shipping costs itself was a deal-breaker for me.

If there is a group forming to try out Silance, I am ready to participate. I am looking for roughly 200 square feet of sound absorbing material.

Cheers

Guys, one of things I like about the Silance board is that it requires no backing or framework. The board can be covered as is and mounted on the walls. I have seen a sample piece and it look good as well as weighs next to nothing. It comes in 9'x4' panels.

Mr. Patel claims it absorbs 70% of the sound and that is good enough.

Cheers
I am now more inclined towards this, ease of install and time required is a good plus point. Now if the cost/shipping is right I have found what I need. George, Govind, Raj let me know if you guys are open to explore this.
I will speak to them tom and see what options they have and if he can at-least ship us a sample to look at. The next will be the shipping costs which we can share if it is a group order.
-Manish

Manish

Check them out-let's decide after we have cost info, as well as dimensions of panels. I also tend to agree with you that ease of mounting is important. I need to have two walls of about 15 ft X 3 ft treated, so about 100 sft will do the trick for me at this time.

George

George

I am now more inclined towards this, ease of install and time required is a good plus point. Now if the cost/shipping is right I have found what I need. George, Govind, Raj let me know if you guys are open to explore this.
I will speak to them tom and see what options they have and if he can at-least ship us a sample to look at. The next will be the shipping costs which we can share if it is a group order.
-Manish

I am fine with exploring this. I am looking for the ceiling. So, I feel that weight is also important. For example, Mat Solo tile from Anutone weighs around 9 kg/sq.mt
where subtex weighs around 2.1 kg/sq.m for 15mm board.

Great going folks, even I am interested in looking at a sample (not for buying though, but just for knowledge sake).

I am fine with exploring this. I am looking for the ceiling. So, I feel that weight is also important. For example, Mat Solo tile from Anutone weighs around 9 kg/sq.mt
where subtex weighs around 2.1 kg/sq.m for 15mm board.

Raj, the roof tile from Anutone (I have seen it but am not sure if it is Mat Solo) is actually of higher density than the normal Anutone tiles. So, the ceiling tile is heavy for a good reason and will actually do wonders to your room treatment. Especially the low frequencies. Subhash is using these in his HT and they have been doing a great job considering he had a Def Tech Trinity Super Cube for a Subwoofer.

Great, that makes it close to 1000sft if we all use Windoor, (200 sft for me, 200 for Venkat, 150 George and maybe another 300 for Raj and Govind put together).
Will update tom once I speak to Patel. So far so good!
Venkat: Is there a number you have to call Patel or I use the details from their website?
-Manish

Venkat: Is there a number you have to call Patel or I use the details from their website? -Manish

I have sent you a PM on this. The material is available in three thickness and measurements:

Thickness: 9.5mm, 20mm, and 25mm.
Weight: 2700gs/m, 5400gs/m, 4200 gs/m
Size: 600x600mm, 600x1200mm, and 1200x2700mm

Availability of z-clips for mounting on walls.

Discuss these issues with Mr. Patel when you talk to him.

Cheers

Last edited:
wud recommend the Anutone mat finish tiles for false ceiling , these are really well built and solid

you guys cud chk the Anutone mat tiles @ Fame lido theatre ,bangalore

Sorry guys, couldn't login the whole day as we had a planned power outage at the district level. Hence could not respond.

I can share a detailed email I got from Mr. Patel, if you could PM me your email ID. That has full details. Looks like I misread the cost in a hurry. It is not so cheap. It is Rs. 137 / sq ft, inclusive of VAT. So, including shipping and fabric to cover the panel, it could be a bit pricey compared to Anutone. (I'm not sure of anutone costs as of now). I apologize for misleading you all w.r.t. cost:sad:

A few points that I'm worried about are:

1. Shipping cost from Ahmadabad. Would need to get an estimate before any decision.
2. About group buying, I'm in Mangalore and so, need to work out a separate shipping. I'm sure this can be done somehow..
3. As per the email I got, I'm supposed to arrange for road permits and transport forms. I have no idea what these are. I'm sure this can be resolved too...

BTW, Praveen (Anutone) told me last week that he was leaving to US last Friday and will be back in Bangalore on 15th March or so..

Yeah that does make it pricey and too much of hassle involved (arrange shipping, road permits, transport forms), as a end user I dont want to be doing all this and will give it a pass. Also even with 5 of us I dont think the price reduction will be much, maybe 10-15% max!
Looks like its gonna be the Anutone way for us all. Any idea how much does Anutone finally works out to be (board+fiber+frame for mounting)? Will wait for Praveen to be back and speak to him before deciding.
Any other options guys?

Santhosh told me that for some reason Anutone are stricty cash and carry(no bill only cash!). Looks odd. They will deliver at your place apparently. I asked Praveen about delivery period and he said 2-3 days max for their standard boards.

I prefer to go by their product at this time since the other option looks both cumbersome procedure wise and expensive.

George

Santosh,
What was the per sft cost for anutone soln (the board, fiber, woodwork to put the fiber and carpentry charges), pls do not include the finish material (silk cloth in your case) as this will vary for each of us depending on individual preferences. This will help with the costing ;)
I too am willing to put down my money on Anutone now, George, Raj, Gobind, Venkat what are your opinions and most importantly when do you guys need this? Just thinking of combining order which might give room for some more negotiation, else I plan to finalize my requirement by next weekend.
-Manish

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back