Playing Speaker Poker with mpws NAD356

Good to hear the initial impression "bright". And I guess you better sit and notice when a long time Titan users calls out a speaker bright.
Any other differences you could point out specifically to Titan (Or Other Paradigm) owners?

No sweat mpw ..... even if speakers sound a bit bright for your liking, there is now a practical tried-tested solution available .... play around with a few interconnects, thats all. You would be amazed with the results!

Had we known this earlier, could have suggested this solution during your Paradigm Titan days ............ ;). Enjoy the Epos!

No sweat mpw ..... even if speakers sound a bit bright for your liking, there is now a practical tried-tested solution available .... play around with a few interconnects, thats all. You would be amazed with the results!

Had we known this earlier, could have suggested this solution during your Paradigm Titan days ............ ;). Enjoy the Epos!

Avid is correct, A solid copper core hyperlitz config IC will balance the brightness. Eichmann terminations even more. Used Audioquest Litz cables often pop up in the for sale by owner forum here. Get your hands on one the next time someones selling.

@ cor and avid-thanks a lot for the suggestions!.any other ic suggestion with where to buy and cost possible?probably hoping it should atleast tame the titans highs!

Guys, let the speakers and mpw's mind settle down a bit. Speaker bass/mid will in all likelyhood improve after burn in. Even mpw will have to get used to the sound before experimenting further and initial excitement also needs to settle. Changing too many links in the chain one after another at fast pace does not allow your mind to settle. I feel that the stands are likely to change his impressions significantly. Regarding solid copper core I do agree that they improve bass but I feel there is no need to go for something costly. Solid single core copper cable (used for earthing at costing rs 15/m) should do the trick. It did for me as well as for Sean Desilva.

Congrats mpw..

Good to know that you are liking the sound.

I for one feel that the sound will significantly improve with the arrival of the stands and proper placement. If required, some acoustic dampening in the first reflection points can help with brightness.

Used Audioquest Litz cables often pop up in the for sale by owner forum here. Get your hands on one the next time someones selling.
One might pop up sometime soon.. ;)

Last edited:
@mpw, what is your age? Just curious. I would also like to know average age of speaker reviwers if anyone knows it. A speaker appearing bright to younger age group listeners may be well balanced for middle aged and warm for older people just due to natural loss of high frequency hearing capability.

A speaker appearing bright to younger age group listeners may be well balanced for middle aged and warm for older people just due to natural loss of high frequency hearing capability.

Just an observation.. for younger people who have a tendency of listening to headphone/earphone at loud volumes or in general work in noisy environments continuously, can suffer loss of high frequency hearing earlier than ones who dont :cool:

Sadly I am at a loss regarding non-bright cable brands and models. I got lucky with my Goldy's. Lucky would even be an understatement considering they're 670$ new.

However here are some facts

copper = warm
silver = detailed

multistrand coppper = bright
single core copper = warmer

multistrand silver = very bright
Solid core silver = bright

Hyperlitz configuration = low distortion / warmer compared to regular multistrand shielded configuration cables.

I wonder... Where did I mention - bright.

I have not used this word to describe the combo at al. I like it bright BTW.. The details come out better that way. The tweeters sound better than the previous speakers I had and the bass is surprising coming from a smaller driver ( as compared to the Titans ).

Am just waiting for the stands and some more burning in ( of my ears ) to describe it .. And also for denom to do an un-biased review for all of you.

Cor - photos only when it can be placed on stands. First impressions are lasting.

Avid - kidhar se bright ko pakda ?

Jaudere - thanks for your kind words

Prem and Tirthankar - thank you for your encouragement.

I am happy that I own a "thoda different" combo as compared to the norm.

Mpw

mpw,

As I read from previous post , it takes a bit of time for us to get tuned to the new speakers and experiment. I am sure EPOS will meet all your expectations. I do not think they fall in to the bright speaker line.

Even I am tempted to part away from floorstanders (Paradigm monitor 7) and get paradigm studio 10/20 bookshelf speakers. :D

Enjoy the music and do post a pic of your new av rack and the music setup.

I wonder... Where did I mention - bright.

Avid - kidhar se bright ko pakda ?

Sorry it was me! I was probably too tired and sleepy last night and read the line "Though the Epos is bought" as bright. Brain acts weird sometimes. :eek:

Apologies!

Still anxious to read yours and Denom's views on these. :)

^^ Reminds of a game called "telephone" which we used to play as kids.

One will say something in the ear of the person beside, then he will relay what he heard to the person next, and this goes on in chain. Normally what came out of the persons mouth last in the chain was radically different from what the first one originally said.

Ok, no more OT from me.

Bookshelves are the way to go for stereo unless you have a large budget for a quality
Floorstander. Try the Paradigm BS with your stereo amp or there are many options to choose from.
If no sterep amp.. Take Gerrys Nad C372.

Mpw

Would love to have a shoot out - Cor's Jamo + Epos M12i + Paradigm Titans + DNM SCS 808 ( for the surprise factor ) or any other bookshelf speakers.
Maybe this can be a hot topic for Mumbai HFV meet later this year.

Rgds
Mpw

Though, with different amplifications, have heard three of them ...Epos M12i, Paradigm Titan and Jamo d830. Well .... to my ears, the Jamo is in a different league altogether.

Congrats mpw..

Good to know that you are liking the sound.

I for one feel that the sound will significantly improve with the arrival of the stands and proper placement. If required, some acoustic dampening in the first reflection points can help with brightness.

One might pop up sometime soon.. ;)

Oh yeah!...am waiting...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back