please suggest a budget media for "Dolby Atmos" content

chaitanyaht3

Dear all...
I am using Yamaha RXV681, and a projector. My setup is 5.1.2 dolby atmos.
Can you suggest a budget media player with the following capabilities please....

1. should play downloaded DOLBY ATMOS movie files (blue ray rips)
2. should "bitstream" audio to avr
3. play movies via pen drive or a hard disk
4. should play online movies via internet lan cable or wifi (netflix, amazon prime etc)

Anything around 10k will be great for me.
(I read many of the threads here, but still felt a little confused about playing blueray atoms content.)

Thank you all...
Chaitanya

IMO if you look for around 10K( indian market money) it will not fulfill your requirement.
I own Zidoo X10 and KD links A300 its bit costly,but i would say both are good model.
8TB hard drive,Atmos,Wifi,Bitstream,Bluetooth,Android,Kodi support.
Iam planning to sell KD links A300 - bought from US last year ( reason for sale upgraded to HTPC )
PM me if you are willing for 14k

Hey... Nvidia shield was in my mind. But I m thinking to get it in my next visit to Us. May be il think a bit more on this...

Dear all...
I am using Yamaha RXV681, and a projector. My setup is 5.1.2 dolby atmos.
Can you suggest a budget media player with the following capabilities please....

1. should play downloaded DOLBY ATMOS movie files (blue ray rips)
2. should "bitstream" audio to avr
3. play movies via pen drive or a hard disk
4. should play online movies via internet lan cable or wifi (netflix, amazon prime etc)

Anything around 10k will be great for me.

Android TV Box aval on amazon.in for around 3.5K (or) slightly more (depending on hardware) that would be one of the better options.. A Quad core processor with 2GB RAM will cost you less than 5K.. Any more higher features will cost you more..

Here is n example - https://www.amazon.in/T96-Pro-Mini-...02&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=android+TV+Box&psc=1

31712ZUFr0L.jpg

They have
- Android 7.0 out of the box..
- HDMI out, Optical out..
- Play store, Kodi media player, or any other media player..
- Onbard wifi
- Around 4 - 5 USB inputs, which will support external hard disk, pendrives and wireless keyboard mouse combo..
- Plays all media formats..
- Should also support amazon prime & netflix (Am not sure on that)..

Some come with seller warranty & some don't.. So please check every other review/question on amazon.in, confirm warranty details with the seller and use your discretion to pick the one which is in your budget..

Nvidia shield is also Android TV Box + gaming console, but honestly not worth the money IMO, at-least in India..

(I read many of the threads here, but still felt a little confused about playing blueray atoms content.)

"Bitstream" is all is reqd (From source device, in your case android TV box) to play Atmos / Dts X BR Rips.. When connected to AVR thru HDMI and set to "Bitstream", AVR will then decode Atmos information.. It is no different from playing DTS HDMA (or) Dolby THD BR Rips..

Nvidia Shield is a good option considering the Plex server capability. Emby server for Android is on work. I am using HTPC and Fire TV Stick as of now, but planning to invest in Shield. I am hesitant to run HTPC for longer hours considering the power usage and other factors.

At 180$ for 16GB it is a good buy I believe.

"Bitstream" is all is reqd (From source device, in your case android TV box) to play Atmos / Dts X BR Rips.. When connected to AVR thru HDMI and set to "Bitstream", AVR will then decode Atmos information.. It is no different from playing DTS HDMA (or) Dolby THD BR Rips..

Thank you so much Elangoas..... !!! may be if these android boxes have an option that i can select to bitstream... thats all I need !!!

from my basic understanding...Nvidia shield is a lot more capable than what i need.
something like playing somany file formats....gaming etc. (By the way i never use gaming)
I am tempted to get Nvidia shield just by looking at the shear positive reviews.

But all i need at this moment is playing movies.
So if a cheaper android box can do the job, il be very happy :)
And shield.... il think of getting in my next us visit if my requirements increase at that time.

Thank you so much Elangoas..... !!! may be if these android boxes have an option that i can select to bitstream... thats all I need !!!

If you have an Android mobile, try installing Kodi and check options under audio output settings.. It should be able to pass-through on android box..

Check some youtube videos on android box for audio settings..

You can also add a gaming console to this android box, say abt Rs 1,300/-.. So totally for 5K (or) at 1/5th cost of Nvidia Shield TV in India, you will have an excellent device...

It may not be able to beat the Nvidia shield, but will keep you happy for the money you spent (casual gamer)..

81SzaVbfZAL._SL1500_.jpg

Here is a link - https://www.amazon.in/Redgear-Pro-W...qid=1518086429&sr=8-4&keywords=gaming+console

I am hesitant to run HTPC for longer hours considering the power usage and other factors.

I have an HTPC which i use for all media playback (Movies, music, youtube, browsing, small games) & ofcourse downloads.. Usually clocks 6 - 8 Hrs a day & even more on weekends..No issues with the PC, have changed to a good cabinet (Deepcool Kendomen) & an entry level liquid CPU cooler (coolermaster poseidon)..

Last edited:
Shield may have some premium featutes. Once we use it, we may not like any other devices.

But winding up a satisfactory setup (for most people) under 5k is an awesome idea. :):)

Shield may have some premium featutes. Once we use it, we may not like any other devices.

It is really strange/weird that Nvidia shield cost as much as Honor 7x mobile in the US ($199).. But In India, Honor 7x mobile costs 13K, while Nvidia Shield costs 25K and demands premium tag :).. Hard to convince that you are paying what it is worth for..

BTW, Honor 7x in US 3GB RAM for ($199) and Honor 7x in India is 4GB RAM for 13K..

But winding up a satisfactory setup (for most people) under 5k is an awesome idea. :):)

I think this matters to most of the folks here..

No issues with the PC
I love my HTPC, only issue I had is with the internal HDD. I had 2 HDD failure in a year (1TB and 1.5TB), both happened when I used the PC extensively with APC UPS battery failure (I had to wait for almost 3 months to get replacement battery). And also the electric bill.

If it is Nvidia shield, I can still run 24x7 with less power footprint with flexibility of external HDD or NAS.
Not to mention Samsung SmartThings Link for Nvidia Shield is available, this makes it an all-in-one device.

Last edited:
I love my HTPC, only issue I had is with the internal HDD. I had 2 HDD failure in a year (1TB and 1.5TB), both happened when I used the PC extensively with APC UPS battery failure (I had to wait for almost 3 months to get replacement battery). And also the electric bill.

Oh sad.. 2 HDD failures in a year is bad..:(

If it is Nvidia shield, I can still run 24x7 with less power footprint with flexibility of external HDD or NAS.
Not to mention Samsung SmartThings Link for Nvidia Shield is available, this makes it an all-in-one device.

Right.. power consumption would be much lower for the Shield..

Before buy check Amazon prime video app available or not.

I recollect you have Mi Android Tv Box.. Could you share some details on Android version, media player that you use on it and if you are able to bitstream to AVR (Say for BR Rips with Atmos content)..

Oh sad.. 2 HDD failures in a year is bad..:(

Right.. power consumption would be much lower for the Shield..

I recollect you have Mi Android Tv Box.. Could you share some details on Android version, media player that you use on it and if you are able to bitstream to AVR (Say for BR Rips with Atmos content)..
I dont have atoms setup so i cant comment. but true hd bitstream working using Kodi. Nuvidia shield version of Amazon prime video app side loaded. It is working fine. Andriod version 6.

I dont have atoms setup so i cant comment. but true hd bitstream working using Kodi. Nuvidia shield version of Amazon prime video app side loaded. It is working fine. Andriod version 6.

Thanks for confirming.. If you are able to bitsream True HD to AVR, then Atmos BR Rips also should work on it.. @chaitanyaht3 , here is an android TV box user, who has confirmed the bitsream capability on Android TV box..

Thanks for confirming.. If you are able to bitsream True HD to AVR, then Atmos BR Rips also should work on it.. @chaitanyaht3 , here is an android TV box user, who has confirmed the bitsream capability on Android TV box..
This weekend i will share screenshot

For Atmos rip also it is showing as true hd

Sure.. Thanks again..

May be since you have not configured height channels it shows True HD.. Once you enable it after getting the speaker AVR display will show Dolby Atmos..
Ok. And one more do we need subwoofer for Atmos setup.? Without sub it will be 5.0.2.

Ok. And one more do we need subwoofer for Atmos setup.? Without sub it will be 5.0.2.

Not a problem if you don't have subwoofer.. You can still use it in 5.0.2 set-up..

Your fronts (Floor stander / Bookshelf) will do the bass duty until you get a dedicated sub, which is better for movies..

Few years back, i used to run 9.0 set-up with a non Atmos AVR..

Last edited:
If anyone has purchased Nvidia Shield TV 2017 in India at lesser than Amazon.in price (28K INR), please share the source and price. Tanotis website shows 25K INR but not sure if its genuine site, never used before and still price diff is big !. I want to buy it but the price difference is too steep in India !!!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back