Plz suggest comp speakers ~(12-15k)

Sorry to give you a contrary opinion again after you seem to have made up your mind.
Are you not replacing mediocre speakers with another set of mediocre speakers? Which means whenever you upgrade next, you need better speakers, and an amp too. Same situation as you are currently in.
As per my opinion, the best path, as suggested by people here is to buy an amp and a sound card, and skip the speakers for now. So much that I have started thinking of this path for myself.

A speaker with inbuilt amp would mean everything gone if it turns bad.

regards

thanks a lot for your time and help..
finally im going for mx5021 + asus xonar dx

5.1/7.1 systems can be played in stereo/ pure direct mode etc to get a strictly stereo output, without any DSP. That should sound good for music.
Also - some 5.1/ 7.1 have preamp outs (and therefore) power amp in, so you can connect your CDP directly to bypass everything except the amplification in a receiver.
Lot of people like marantz SR6003/ SR5003 in forums for their music too.

regards

Anm,

No offense here, but you have not understood my point of view at all. You are talking of just AVRs from Marantz that are in the 800 to 1000 USD range. Add the CDP, the speakers, the cables, yeah sure even I can give great sound with an unlimited budget, which is exactly the point I am making. There are no budget setups for audio unlike HTIBs which exist for the HT segment. Besides this the other point I was debating was a 2.0 setup is better than a 5.1/7.1 setup for movies which I will not agree with.

Sorry to give you a contrary opinion again after you seem to have made up your mind.
Are you not replacing mediocre speakers with another set of mediocre speakers? Which means whenever you upgrade next, you need better speakers, and an amp too. Same situation as you are currently in.
As per my opinion, the best path, as suggested by people here is to buy an amp and a sound card, and skip the speakers for now. So much that I have started thinking of this path for myself.

A speaker with inbuilt amp would mean everything gone if it turns bad.

regards

Anm,

No offense once again, but please do read reviews or audition yourself. The Altec Lansing MX5021 will not be termed mediocre by any standards. I have used them and they are very good for a PC setup especially for playing music. Coming to powered speakers going bad, well even amp and AVRs can go bad not that I have anything against them. Just that it seems such an overkill for a person wanting to play mp3 on a PC.

I agree with you that 2.0 can never sound as good as 7.1 for movies. And music recorded in 2.0 if played on 7.1 speakers would have something artificial about it.
However, equipment that would do 7.1 can also do 2.0, and can do it decently well. That's my point.

Not sure what budget you had in mind, so I agree I may have missed your PoV regarding budgets. I thought it was a generic statement, without any specific bugdget. However, that doesn't mean I am talking about infinite budget.
For a 2.0 setup, a decent entry level amp would cost ~25-30k, like CA 640A, and then add the CDP, the speakers, the cables. And if you want to keep a separate HTIB for movies, add another 15-30k.

While this marantz should be around 50k - and it would handle both the needs for 2.0 as well as 5.1/ 7.1.

So my point is, if you are thinking of getting two entry level systems, 1 for 2.0 and another htib for movies, you may be better off with something like these marantz or may be denon 1909.

Seems we are talking the same thing but may be in different price ranges :) No offense again, I may be contradicting your suggestions to 'grim", but that's my opinion, and i would have done it that way. No intention or reason to offend you.

BTW, there are some budget 2.0 systems from onkyo too. See onkyo setups in this page.
http://sumaria.co.in/index.php?cPath=45_85

Onkyo CS-420 70W Lifestyle Stereo System - 18k
Onkyo CS-515S 174W Lifestyle Stereo System - 25k.
Read more here - ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA - See more mini systems listed there.

Anm,

No offense here, but you have not understood my point of view at all. You are talking of just AVRs from Marantz that are in the 800 to 1000 USD range. Add the CDP, the speakers, the cables, yeah sure even I can give great sound with an unlimited budget, which is exactly the point I am making. There are no budget setups for audio unlike HTIBs which exist for the HT segment. Besides this the other point I was debating was a 2.0 setup is better than a 5.1/7.1 setup for movies which I will not agree with.

I agree with you that 2.0 can never sound as good as 7.1 for movies. And music recorded in 2.0 if played on 7.1 speakers would have something artificial about it.
However, equipment that would do 7.1 can also do 2.0, and can do it decently well. That's my point.

Totally agree with you here my friend.

Not sure what budget you had in mind, so I agree I may have missed your PoV regarding budgets. I thought it was a generic statement, without any specific bugdget. However, that doesn't mean I am talking about infinite budget.
For a 2.0 setup, a decent entry level amp would cost ~25-30k, like CA 640A, and then add the CDP, the speakers, the cables. And if you want to keep a separate HTIB for movies, add another 15-30k.

While this marantz should be around 50k - and it would handle both the needs for 2.0 as well as 5.1/ 7.1.

So my point is, if you are thinking of getting two entry level systems, 1 for 2.0 and another htib for movies, you may be better off with something like these marantz or may be denon 1909.

Totally agree with you here too. Only problem is OP has a budget of 15-18K which cannot accommodate all of this.

Seems we are talking the same thing but may be in different price ranges :) No offense again, I may be contradicting your suggestions to 'grim", but that's my opinion, and i would have done it that way. No intention or reason to offend you.

No offense taken. In fact even I have taken the same route, but instead of amp I am going the route of DAC and powered speakers. But even this basic setup has cost me near 45-50K and that's not counting the cost of the PC or the soundcard, only the DAC and Audioengine A5.

moser,grim, and others, what do you think about these onkyo stereo one in all, given the price of 18 to 25k for different models?

moser, have you considered the m-audio powered speakers?
See this - Amazon.com: M-Audio BX8a 8" BiAmplified Studio Monitor Speakers: Musical Instruments
They have a 5 star user rating on amazon.
I think they are available for 27k in Delhi - not very sure though about the price.

regards

I've heard the 3100 HTiB.

The MX5021 spanks it silly, for music and movies. Even with the current build quality issues which I've refernced earlier, I'd take the MX any day of the week, never mind that the 3100 costs 3x the MX.

I think the TS has made a good choice, honestly speaking.

Totally agree with Cranky here. In fact most of the entry level HTIBs suck especially all the more for music. Still I do not have anything against them since for many that would be the only option budget wise. Also, even I myself started with basic stuff and then once I got hooked I have been climbing up the ladder and the same goes for a lot of friends of mine. Not everyone wants/can splurge in 6 figures for their very first system. They do start with inexpensive basic stuff and once they are hooked they will eventually upgrade. Same cycle applies even in life I guess, started with a Maruti 800, then Wagon R, then Swift, now BMW.

moser,grim, and others, what do you think about these onkyo stereo one in all, given the price of 18 to 25k for different models?

moser, have you considered the m-audio powered speakers?
See this - Amazon.com: M-Audio BX8a 8" BiAmplified Studio Monitor Speakers: Musical Instruments
They have a 5 star user rating on amazon.
I think they are available for 27k in Delhi - not very sure though about the price.

regards

I did consider the M-Audio initially when I was pondering over my Audioengine A5, but then went with the A5s since they had more positive reviews on the internet and also on this very forum too, while not many heard of the M-Audio.

I have not heard the Onkyo stereo units though, only the HTIBs and tend to agree with Cranky about them.

asus xonar dx ain't available at lamington currently n can take 2 weeks..
alternate sound card?.. for mx5021
or is this soundcard something i shud really wait for?
thx:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back