Plz suggest comp speakers ~(12-15k)

Hey,
Now i am totally confused..
I had a music system which stopped wrking a couple of yrs back..
the speakers are still good n intact..
the specs of speakers are 150W and 6ohm..
What if i buy a receiver n hook it up with my comp? wud it be better? which receiver if i shud go for this?..
also, can i hook up these speakers with the receivers n connect my comp with the receiver via usb?will i additionally need a sound card too?
My budget is still 15~18k all inclusive
please help me as i am not that much experienced with audio related technical issues..

thanks a lot in advance:)

Attachments

• 150W_6ohm.jpg
    150W_6ohm.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 48
Not everyone wants 2.0/2.1 in this day and age of 5.1/7.1. Also, once you experience true 5.1 like say DTS in The Transformers with the right equipment you just cannot go back to stereo, at least that's the way I feel. In fact I have gone re-ripping all my DVDs to 5.1 in Dolby Digital from the original stereo they were ripped in earlier for all my Divx rips. Just as music sounds so much better in stereo, ditto for movies in 5.1 DTS/Dolby. Great 2.0 is better than average 5.1, that's true, but the same cannot be said of a great/very good 5.1 setup. Movies are enjoyed more in surround sound, well my 2 cents at least.

To each his own!

A great/very good 5.1 is very expensive, way more than a great 2.1.
A good surround receiver, center and rears required to complete the 5.1 setup would cost around 2-2.5 times the 2.1 setup. So whenever budget is a concern, getting a very good 2.1 is always a right place to start. You can definitely get the surround processor later and still use the stereo amplifier for the fronts, and get the center/rears/surrounds if you want., but very well not go that route if you are happy with the 2.1 setup.

But this advice is well known already from umpteen forums right. What I feel (again this my opinion which a lot of people might/would disagree) is that center and rears are overrated in a home theater, and I am happy without them. it's just another way to make the consumer spend more money since he is "supposed" to be missing something, but at the end he stills remain dissatisfied (7.1 has something 5.1 doesn't, 5.1 has something 2.1 doesn't, blah blah blah, what comes next?).

I never feel the requirement of a center since my fronts are close to each other (around 5-6 feet) and i get a good phantom center. Sitting away from the rear walls and close to the fronts, I don't really miss out on my rears as well. In your home theater you can always find that sweet spot unlike a movie theater! Anyway, not trying to start another 2.1 vs 5.1 war here, I would say the quest for the holy grail of HT is neverending for most, it's just that I have found mine I guess!

Guys,

Pardon me if I am wrong do you guys think that a DAC would be sufficient for his current setup since the powered speakers are available and then if need be he can buy another speaker/amp at a later stage. I think for 18k you can get decent DAC's(m not that aware about pricing though) CA DACMAGIC is around 20-25k though.

Regards
Rem

Hey,
the speakers are still good n intact..
the specs of speakers are 150W and 6ohm..
What if i buy a receiver n hook it up with my comp? wud it be better? which receiver if i shud go for this?..
also, can i hook up these speakers with the receivers n connect my comp with the receiver via usb?will i additionally need a sound card too?
My budget is still 15~18k all inclusive

My guess is he wants to use the same speakers if its possible in the pic it looks like a panasonic one.

ROTFL! The OP must be really confused by now :p

Those panasonic speakers might be a poor set for all you know, and getting a DAC would be worthless. It also seems that the OP wants a simple solution and cannot go about building his own DIY amp etc.

:D yeah need better speakers for the kind of DAC I suggested.

No Idea how confused grim is at the moment but I suggest he stick to decent computer speakers and sound card for his budget.

Speakers
---------
Logitech
Audio Engine
Klipsch

Sound Cards
------------
Asus Xonar cards
M-Audio
Creative X-Fi or Audigy 1 or Audigy 2

For your current setup and budget this would be the least confusing and best option to get decent sound from your computer.

Grim have you listened to any of these speakers suggested till now if not I would suggest you Kindly do that.

hey,
im sorry if my question(s) confused u..
let me clarify...
I have 2 speakers (non-powered panasonic) of 150w and 6ohm impedance.thats what the back of speakers say..
and i have 15k budget.

Now either i'll use these [panasonic speakers + xyz] which i can connect to my comp which currently does not have a sound card
[xyz]=? is something i wanna figure out... is it an amp that i need?or a sound card too? or what?

If the above option ain't that good then I'll NOT use the panasonic speakers at all, will use my money to buy a soundcard and AudioengineA2.

Thanks in advance :)

thanks a lot cranky..
You all have helped me make up my mind:)

the A5 i checked are for 20.5K n not 15k..
Either i'll wait for sometime till my budget increases , or i'll get a soundcard+AE2

I would second the following approach if you are really worried about the budget. Buy decent speakers later when the budget allows. You will also get the pleasure of the upgradation - it is the journey where all the fun is.

regards

If you still want to use the Panasonic,

Norge amp: 6.5K
Xonar DX: 4.5K

Upgrade the speakers later.

Cranky

Norge Amplifier you talk about , model number ?
Is it also available in delhi somewhere ?

Grim,
According to Audioengine - Upgrade your music,
These guys are the distributors in India -

APS
Room #1&2, Mahesh Chambers,
Building #391 Narsi Natha Street,
Katha Bazar Mumbai - 400009 INDIA
Tel: 66359109 / 66359976
Siddharth Bhatia - Tel: 9821516338
Amandeep Singh - Tel: 9324233508
[email protected]

Bajaao and Sanen Acoustics are listed as the retailers/resellers of AE products (both based out of mumbai)

Check the A5 for Rs. 19500 here from APS here:
Audio Products India - Powered stereo speakers for your home and office.

Something to note: Audio Products India - Powered stereo speakers for your home and office.
- 1 yr warranty instead of 3 yrs
- shipping costs to be borne by you if you send it for repair

Cheers!
Bhaskar

One basic doubt...
norge 6020 model has 80W+80W rms specified..
norge 1000 model has 125W+125W rms specified..
norge mosfet reference 2000 has 125w+125w @40ohm; 100w+100w@80ohm

My speakers have these specs:
2 speakers with 150(music) & 6ohm impedance...
2 small speakers with 60W(music) & 8ohm impedance

Can i connect all 4 to a norge stereo amplifier, or only 2? Which model of norge shud i buy?

I know my doubts might sound very basic n stupid to you audiophiles but i just wanna be sure before i make an investment :)
thanks

The Norge 1000 Concerto Gold would be good enough.

Would not recommend connecting more than 1 pair of speakers to the amp. Also do keep scouring the classifieds for used NAD and CA amps at the same price level.

grim.reaper,

Not to add to the confusion, but its better to stick to the basics. I don't really see the need for an amp to add to your existing setup which is basically playing music off of a PC. Just invest in a good soundcard and powered speakers like Audioengine or something else in your budget. This setup will be musical and give years of good service too. When you are ready to become an audiophile and are ready to invest lacs then you can think about a stereo setup, amp, receiver, CDP, etc.

For now, get a good sound card Asus Xonar. For speakers Audioengine A5 budget permitting or Audioengine A2 if you like the sound of them, or Altec Lansing MX-5021 will perform admirably and be within budget.

Remember you will be playing mp3s and the odd movie. For that this setup will more than serve the purpose (in fact give great SQ for many years) and keep the h/w and wires and investment down too. I still don't see the need to jump to Norge and matching speakers etc.

Finally what Cranky said also makes sense...

If your budget is 15K and you don't want to use the speakers you have, pick up just the AE5. You'll be fine with onboard for some time. The card can always come later.

You can think about a DAC, Norge, etc. when you have more budget and are in the quest for audio nirvana. Till then please stick to the basics and get a good speaker system and a good sound card WITHIN your budget.

To each his own!

A great/very good 5.1 is very expensive, way more than a great 2.1.
A good surround receiver, center and rears required to complete the 5.1 setup would cost around 2-2.5 times the 2.1 setup. So whenever budget is a concern, getting a very good 2.1 is always a right place to start. You can definitely get the surround processor later and still use the stereo amplifier for the fronts, and get the center/rears/surrounds if you want., but very well not go that route if you are happy with the 2.1 setup.

But this advice is well known already from umpteen forums right. What I feel (again this my opinion which a lot of people might/would disagree) is that center and rears are overrated in a home theater, and I am happy without them. it's just another way to make the consumer spend more money since he is "supposed" to be missing something, but at the end he stills remain dissatisfied (7.1 has something 5.1 doesn't, 5.1 has something 2.1 doesn't, blah blah blah, what comes next?).

I never feel the requirement of a center since my fronts are close to each other (around 5-6 feet) and i get a good phantom center. Sitting away from the rear walls and close to the fronts, I don't really miss out on my rears as well. In your home theater you can always find that sweet spot unlike a movie theater! Anyway, not trying to start another 2.1 vs 5.1 war here, I would say the quest for the holy grail of HT is neverending for most, it's just that I have found mine I guess!

Bhaskie,

I am really interested in knowing your setup. From my experience it has been the other way around. 2.0/stereo is more expensive than a 5.1 setup is what I have seen. I agree both in 2.0 and in 5.1/7.1 the very high end exist, but in true stereo for the audiophile there exist very few options in the low budget segment. Case in point you would get a budget DVDP, but there are no budget CDP. An all in one HTIB like Philips, Onkyo, Yamaha etc. are found for under 30K which do a pretty good to decent job and even if they do not they are still option for someone without the budget to pick something up like this. For a music lover such things do not even exist in the lower spectrum of the budget AFAIK.

I am not putting down 2.0 here. All I am saying is that for music 2.0 is the best. Similarly 5.1/7.1 is the best for movies. Stereo music does not sound great on a 5.1 system and similarly movies encoded in 5.1 DTS or Dolby will always sound better on a 5.1/7.1 system rather than a 2.0 system. You just cannot take away from the surround sound experience, not at least for the big budget action spectacle. I still enjoy the fire engine action sequence from Terminator 3 in 5.1 and ditto for the police van action sequence from The Dark Knight again in 5.1. No high end 2.0 will compete in giving the surround sound FX that a comparable 5.1/7.1 system will give for such action sequences. Similarly no high end 5.1/7.1 system will give the pleasure of a 2.0 system for a Red Book Audio CD. That's the only point I am trying to convey here.

Anyway I think we have confused the OP no end here in our quest for audio and HT nirvana.

5.1/7.1 systems can be played in stereo/ pure direct mode etc to get a strictly stereo output, without any DSP. That should sound good for music.
Also - some 5.1/ 7.1 have preamp outs (and therefore) power amp in, so you can connect your CDP directly to bypass everything except the amplification in a receiver.
Lot of people like marantz SR6003/ SR5003 in forums for their music too.

regards

Bhaskie,

I am really interested in knowing your setup. From my experience it has been the other way around. 2.0/stereo is more expensive than a 5.1 setup is what I have seen. I agree both in 2.0 and in 5.1/7.1 the very high end exist, but in true stereo for the audiophile there exist very few options in the low budget segment. Case in point you would get a budget DVDP, but there are no budget CDP. An all in one HTIB like Philips, Onkyo, Yamaha etc. are found for under 30K which do a pretty good to decent job and even if they do not they are still option for someone without the budget to pick something up like this. For a music lover such things do not even exist in the lower spectrum of the budget AFAIK.

I am not putting down 2.0 here. All I am saying is that for music 2.0 is the best. Similarly 5.1/7.1 is the best for movies. Stereo music does not sound great on a 5.1 system and similarly movies encoded in 5.1 DTS or Dolby will always sound better on a 5.1/7.1 system rather than a 2.0 system. You just cannot take away from the surround sound experience, not at least for the big budget action spectacle. I still enjoy the fire engine action sequence from Terminator 3 in 5.1 and ditto for the police van action sequence from The Dark Knight again in 5.1. No high end 2.0 will compete in giving the surround sound FX that a comparable 5.1/7.1 system will give for such action sequences. Similarly no high end 5.1/7.1 system will give the pleasure of a 2.0 system for a Red Book Audio CD. That's the only point I am trying to convey here.

Anyway I think we have confused the OP no end here in our quest for audio and HT nirvana.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back