Post your latest AV purchase(s)......

💯% - one of the reasons, in addition to alcohol, why music sounds better at night/ winters. One of the biggest culprits in India is air-conditioning - it's never quiet enough.

what's the noise floor in your room currently?
Oops I never measured. But safe to say, it will be uncomfortable for any new comers. It is eerily, scarily quiet :)

And a set up that is resolving enough to perceive these small changes too?
I think any setup can scale immensely in the right room. My kit has remained the same for a very long time. So the new found resolution and transparency is probably the rooms doing :). As I said, I now firmly believe the room is 70% of the perceived sound. So the kit is only the remainder of the 30%.

💯% - one of the reasons, in addition to alcohol, why music sounds better at night/ winters. One of the biggest culprits in India is air-conditioning - it's never quiet enough.

what's the noise floor in your room currently?
Thought Id also add, that if a system sounds very good one day and indifferent the next day. Then it is probably poor power supply too. Having power conditioning usually gives a consistent sound.

Below is something Iam really proud of. I carried 550 kgs of Geowool stuffing over 3 floors, and stuffed 350 kgs into this 8.5 feet high X 8 feet wide X 1 feet deep absorber I built right behind my listening position. This gives an almost reflection free zone at my listening position. One can walk across this absorber making a consistent sound, and the voice will change completely, improving dramatically in clarity as one approaches this absorber. This giant absorber has singularly reduced noise levels and my weight too :D

20221002_112027.jpg

So for systems in shared spaces, where acoustic treatment on side walls etc is not domestically possible, I would strongly recommend building or adding such absorption right behind the listening position. More so if one is sitting close to the back wall, as is my case.

The absorption has to cover as wide and as high as possible on the back wall for maximum benefit. And be ateast 4 inches deep. Best to use broadband absorbers which work over the whole frequency spectrum, and not foam types which basically do nothing. except at very high frequencies deadening the sound And it can be done very aesthetically too with the use of printed fabrics for covering etc. I used a cheap bed sheet from amazon for 300 bucks, and got framing material for another 1000 bucks to do the gold bordering :)

Fondly hope my pic gives enough ideas for folks to get DIY'ing over a singular weekend, for the biggest sonic benefit that no dac, or speaker or cable can contribute to their listening pleasure. All the best in advance :)

And a set up that is resolving enough to perceive these small changes too?

Not having a resolving system is good for the wallet, if it's emotionally connects you and had decent fidelity you can enjoy the music then ignorance is bliss. But you are right, resolving system is needed to perceive the changes.
One of our own members @muralimmreddy has recently tried the puritan and bought it. Iam not sure about the model though. Fondly hope he will chip in with his experiences for the wider benefit of our forum's wallets :D

I bought puritan psm156. It still burning in. But there is a clear improvements (darker background, vocal intelligibility, defined low end). Tried FM's Isotek titan as well. It did bring improvements too. Of Course for sonic benefits it depends on the power supply so its better to try out.

puritan did not fix (dc blocker) the slight hum that i have from power amp though

@Yelamanchili manohar : Please do share more photos of the room. Would love to see what all treatment you have done.

Thanks!
Most welcome :)

Actually Iam away on my sails. So only have old pics of the room now. A few things have changed, but the pic of the room treatment is the same now.

I previously had 4 nos of 4X2 feet absorbers at first and secondary reflection points on the side walls. I have since pulled out my speakers wider and removed those absorbers.

So currently in the pics, one can see my bass traps in the front corners, these are 3 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep, triangular in shape and extend full height from floor to ceiling ( These are the light green fabric ones in the corner behind the speakers ). Also made of the same Geowool stuffing. On the back wall is the 8.5 x 8 x 1 feet absorber again of Geowool.

Will be adding skyline diffusers ( Vicoustic Multifuser DC-3's ) on my front wall between the speakers and then will add side wall absorbers with baffle plates ( Full range broad band absorbers 4X2 feet mostly from sound foundations - 2 nos per wall - total 4 pieces ) and probably some diffusion again on the ceiling. Plan is to complete my room treatment this summer. Been at it for 2 years now. Have played around with absorbers in various positions over these years, to get a hang of what needs to go where. But the above is still on trial basis, as Iam no acoustics expert, so the final treatment could change as per taste :)

Below are a few old pics that I could find :

20221002_112007.jpg
20221220_072119.jpg

I did start this experiment with some skepticism as this device is the least expensive of Puritan Audio’s offerings, but am now wondering if there would be more benefit with a Puritan Audio PSM 156. This could also add some protection from voltage fluctuations that we all are worried about.

I have a Puritan Audio PSM 156 along with the ground master city. I added the Ground Master City later. I am getting a slightly more darker background to the overall presentation. Given the cost, if you are buying the PSM 156, the ground master city is a no-brainer.

I have a Puritan Audio PSM 156 along with the ground master city. I added the Ground Master City later. I am getting a slightly more darker background to the overall presentation. Given the cost, if you are buying the PSM 156, the ground master city is a no-brainer.
Thanks.

Thought I'd share two worth while additions in the past one month that delivered :

1) Audioquest Niagra 3000 : I recently added a Audioquest Niagara 3000 to power only the sources in the system. Have the power amps still direct to wall. Was'nt expecting any sonic improvements, but wanted some protection for the gear, as I've had some nasty blows in the past. My trusty PS Audio P1200 regenerator stepped in several times with fuse blows to save my kit, till it finally gave up the ghost in one last battle but still saved the kit :D

So some sort of protection was an absolute must with the crappy power that I have. So plugged it in with fingers crossed, hoping that the sonic degradation if any would be endurable. But what a pleasant surprise it was. The biggest improvement was the elimination of bass drone that I was having. I had a nasty bass boom in what felt like the 50 hz region. As per REW, my room simulation showed bass peaks at 48 hz, so I assumed this was the main culprit. But turns out it was the 50HZ frequency hum on the mains getting into the source chain. Eliminating this has almost removed that nasty bass boom. And I can also sense a darker back ground as a result. On the negative side, I lost a little sweet lushness on female vocals and strings. Guess some harmonics are being eliminated by the conditioner. But all in all, I would call it a sensible upgrade. Will be adding audioquest NRG power cables next to see if that brings any benefits as claimed by audioquest. Wish audioquest had a grounding system like Shunyata or Puritan, so that the power chain would be complete. Maybe something for the future :)

2) SOTM DCBL CAT-7 Ethernet cable : I plugged it between a cheap and very old TP-Link router ( Powered by a 12V LPSU ), and my lumin streamer. And immediately noticed an improvement in how organic and natural everything sounds. Plus what can be described as the elimination of some haze in the music. And another slight reduction in back ground noise. Iam convinced that network switches with fiber will be the way forward to optimise streaming in the long run. But Iam happy for now :)
Correction...Correction...just realized that I have the Niagara 1200 and not the 3000...oops :D

Wish audioquest had a grounding system like Shunyata or Puritan, so that the power chain would be complete. Maybe something for the future

They do have some patented ground noise dissipation technology built into their power conditioners. That deals with the ground related issues i suppose. Not 100% sure though....

They do have some patented ground noise dissipation technology built into their power conditioners. That deals with the ground related issues i suppose. Not 100% sure though....
Thanks Miany :)

I was thinking more on the lines of the Shunyata Altaira system. So an entire Shunyata system front to back consists of their conditioned power supplies, power cables and end grounding systems. Puritan has something similar with their 136 and 156 conditioned supplies, sheilded power cables and ground master reference systems. Was wondering if audioquest has any external grounding systems that I might have missed by any chance :)

I think, have to compare sc90C with Sony A series for OLED. Even the A80 was priced higher than Samsung and at least in showroom settings, the samsung was brighter than LG G3. A95L was very good, but no 77". Even otherwise the 65" itself is very highly priced. So the samsung it is, due to price and brightness. Its been a month around now, happy with the purchase. But need to see its longevity. the sony HX 850 purchased 10 years back is working fine still, except for white band in the edges.
Thank for the reply . Can u share its price s90c via DM please

Most welcome :)

Actually Iam away on my sails. So only have old pics of the room now. A few things have changed, but the pic of the room treatment is the same now.

I previously had 4 nos of 4X2 feet absorbers at first and secondary reflection points on the side walls. I have since pulled out my speakers wider and removed those absorbers.

So currently in the pics, one can see my bass traps in the front corners, these are 3 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep, triangular in shape and extend full height from floor to ceiling ( These are the light green fabric ones in the corner behind the speakers ). Also made of the same Geowool stuffing. On the back wall is the 8.5 x 8 x 1 feet absorber again of Geowool.

Will be adding skyline diffusers ( Vicoustic Multifuser DC-3's ) on my front wall between the speakers and then will add side wall absorbers with baffle plates ( Full range broad band absorbers 4X2 feet mostly from sound foundations - 2 nos per wall - total 4 pieces ) and probably some diffusion again on the ceiling. Plan is to complete my room treatment this summer. Been at it for 2 years now. Have played around with absorbers in various positions over these years, to get a hang of what needs to go where. But the above is still on trial basis, as Iam no acoustics expert, so the final treatment could change as per taste :)

Below are a few old pics that I could find :

View attachment 82570
View attachment 82571
Manoharam- Temple of Music 👏

Here you go, the most awaited purchase of this year SONY 55X90L in the house 😭😎
Finally took a plunge and bought it after extensive research and multiple visits to Retail stores and Branded shops comparing PQ, AQ and Pricing. It’s a visual treat to watch Dolby Vision, HDR and IMAX enhanced content 😌 spent slightly over my budget from initial decision to buy X82L, but
It’s totally worth it 👍. got decent price and discount from Sony Center, Bangalore. Thanks to Republic Day offer.

IMG_2935.jpegIMG_2956.jpeg

Here you go, the most awaited purchase of this year SONY 55X90L in the house 😭😎
Finally took a plunge and bought it after extensive research and multiple visits to Retail stores and Branded shops comparing PQ, AQ and Pricing. It’s a visual treat to watch Dolby Vision, HDR and IMAX enhanced content 😌 spent slightly over my budget from initial decision to buy X82L, but
It’s totally worth it 👍. got decent price and discount from Sony Center, Bangalore. Thanks to Republic Day offer.

View attachment 82621View attachment 82622
Good choice. Sony never disappoint you on colors front. For sound you already have Elac active speakers. What more can a person ask for. Due to good parts quality sony tv's last for very long, this is my personal experience.

My new TT is here

Back