POWER GAMES:Servo Stabilizer,CVT or Online UPS?

Ajay - thanks for your guidance. I have taken the same Online UPS 3KVA emerson. It is working fine. The NAD AVR I have was having was having trouble with voltage fluctuations. It is now behaving.
I got it for 26500 + taxes in New Delhi. One may get it cheaper.

Hi,

Any Idea about Eaton UPS ?
I am getting an Online double conversion UPS ( 8 internal Batteries ) with back of 15 min on full load for 22 k - All inclusive .
Is this a good price to go ?

Hi members
I just installed a 5 kva servo upto 140 volt support , with obo bettermann surge protector for 20k. Went ahead with this company
Vertex chennai , We have installed a 20 kva for lift, which has been working well too.
Arun

Hi members
I just installed a 5 kva servo upto 140 volt support , with obo bettermann surge protector for 20k. Went ahead with this company
Vertex chennai , We have installed a 20 kva for lift, which has been working well too.
Arun

Arun, please give me little more details on the obo bettermann, like the model, cost, etc. I am planning for my home. And do you have any power back up solution already in place?

Hi
The obo v20c and obo C25 b + c combi controller.
They are for lightning and line surge protection.
Obo came to 4k.
I don't have whole house servo, only for ht.
The 20 kva is in my office lift.
No plans for generator or back up now.
I have a 1 kva computer ups for my projector only which inturn is supported by the servo.

Last edited:
My Emerson online UPS has been in the standby mode since I sold my Bryston amps a few months ago. Recently it started emitting a constant beeping sound with a "BF" message flashing on the screen. The service technician initially suggested said that the BF message signified a battery fault. He experimented with another six-pack of Exide batteries but problem was not resolved. Now he has suggested that the problem lies in the card. I've been given the option of getting the card repaired or replaced. The replacement doesn't make sense as the card costs virtually as much as a new UPS! Even the figures I have been quoted for getting the card repaired are extremely high. I was not satisfied with the response of the service technician and have not taken any action in getting the UPS repaired.

Any suggestions about a future course of action?

Looks like Online UPS efficiency varies between 80% and 90% mostly, has any observed how much it costs to maintain a Online UPS from electricity charges view point?

My Emerson online UPS has been in the standby mode since I sold my Bryston amps a few months ago. Recently it started emitting a constant beeping sound with a "BF" message flashing on the screen. The service technician initially suggested said that the BF message signified a battery fault. He experimented with another six-pack of Exide batteries but problem was not resolved. Now he has suggested that the problem lies in the card. I've been given the option of getting the card repaired or replaced. The replacement doesn't make sense as the card costs virtually as much as a new UPS! Even the figures I have been quoted for getting the card repaired are extremely high. I was not satisfied with the response of the service technician and have not taken any action in getting the UPS repaired.

Any suggestions about a future course of action?

Ajay - what did you finally do with your Emerson UPS? I am thinking of going for one. Should I?

I went with an Emerson Online 3 KVA UPS a little less than a year ago. Would recommend it to anybody with closed eyes!

My setup came a little expensive at INR 33,900 for the UPS, INR 1,400 for a commercial grade power strip and installation (under the wall wiring for a neat look) cost of INR 4,000.

However, it has been worth every bit. I run all my gear through it 24x7 (I do not hard power down my devices) and it just runs! Works with my apartment genset and not a hitch so far. If interested, I would share details of local Bangalore re-seller and the electrician who understands what WAF is!!!

What is the best price i can get for the Emerson 2KV Online UPS with internal batteries in Bangalore?
I am being offered it 26.5K for the 2KV unit. However I note that some have managed to get a 3KV unit itself for 26K.

For those interested, i have got a quote of 25.5K including taxes for 2KV Online with Internal Batteries. Delivered and installed at home.
If anyone is interested I can try and negotiate for a lower price if we purchase multiple units together.

Note: My earlier post was exclusive of taxes.

Thanks, but my question is not answered by the link. I wanted to know if a dedicated Power conditioner improves sq as compared to a CVT or a good servo stabilizer. There are several per conditioners in the market starting at around rs.10000 going up to rs. 2 lacs. So which brands are recommended?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

As far as possible avoid power conditioners unless there is a specific problem to be addressed. I have had power conditioners from Shunyata, BPT, Haley from Running Spring Audio, Powerwing from Alan Kafton and a CVT. I would avoid using any. A CVT cannot be used in the same room as your system as it makes a noise. This is true of all CVTs.

If you want to experiment just try them with your source. As far as possible go direct with the amp.

Quite true Prem. I've finally settled for a 3 kva online UPS from Emerson. It's placed in a separate room because of the hum from its fan. Doesn't make as much noise as a cvt but is still audible.
In Pune, we have frequent power cuts and voltage fluctuations. Both these issues are addressed by the UPS, in addition to providing a perfect Sine wave.
SQ has definitely improved!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

One question in this old thread, first my situation.

I have digital source as a CDP (80 watts) whose internal dac is damn good, a Allo digione ( less than 15 watts) with its default power supply and a tube pre ( less than 80 watts). My power amp s max consumption is 2400 watts. My aim is to give clean power to other devices except power amp as I read clean power impacts devices that rely highly on clocks for signal processing (exception tube pre) and also thus capacity will be required lesser for the power supplier. Should I be contended with a CVT or a power regenerator or a Linear PSU wherever applicable (like digione) or a combination of multiple of these. Please advise.

One question in this old thread, first my situation.

I have digital source as a CDP (80 watts) whose internal dac is damn good, a Allo digione ( less than 15 watts) with its default power supply and a tube pre ( less than 80 watts). My power amp s max consumption is 2400 watts. My aim is to give clean power to other devices except power amp as I read clean power impacts devices that rely highly on clocks for signal processing (exception tube pre) and also thus capacity will be required lesser for the power supplier. Should I be contended with a CVT or a power regenerator or a Linear PSU wherever applicable (like digione) or a combination of multiple of these. Please advise.

Hi haisaikat....

I have been considering on similar lines recently. And below is what was recommended to me on other forums :

1. Seperate power lines for all sources + preamp - Let's call this power line 1

2. Seperate power lines for power amp - Let's call this power line 2.

Power amp on powerline 2 is not very sensitive to power. So this can just be a dedicated line directly from mains. And if you feel you have very poor quality power, then adding a CVT + isolation transformer is recommended. As long as these have 2 times the max power draw of the Amps. There will be sufficient headroom for dynamics. Power conditioners or filters usually reduce the dynamics. Besides, power amps have sufficient capacitors and their power supplies are robust enough to make up for any fluctuations in current and voltage.

Digital sources, DACs and preamps are the sensitive electronics in the chain, that usually don't come with very robust power supplies. And they need all the pure power that can be supplied. And on the positive side, their current draw is not much. So the below are to be achieved in the same :
1. Keep voltage constant - CVT or servo stabilizer
2. Isolation from power line noise - isolation transformer.
3. Keep power properly shaped - pure sine wave regenerators or some models of online ups that achieve the same. Even some CVT achieve the same.
4. Galvanic isolation between all source components, especially kit having SMPS modules like Amazon fire TV sticks and cell chargers.

I have been considering a combination of CVT + isolation transformer to achieve point nos 1 to 3. I have a star wired power block that achieves the galvanic isolation required as per point no.4. So depending on the number of boxes you can accommodate, you can go for an all in one, or seperate boxes. Just like in a audio chain, seperate boxes offer better power than one integrated solution.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back