Power supply for the Topping TA2020 amp

sumeshj

I have a TA2020 based Topping amp that outputs 13W + 13W max. I want to build a good power supply for this amp and I am looking for suggestions for the same. The operating voltage of the amp is 12V.

Also I have a basic question: would a linear transformer based power supply be better or would a SMPS be better? Can I modify a computer SMPS and use it for this purpose?

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

Thanks!

I have a TA2020 based Topping amp that outputs 13W + 13W max. I want to build a good power supply for this amp and I am looking for suggestions for the same. The operating voltage of the amp is 12V.

Also I have a basic question: would a linear transformer based power supply be better or would a SMPS be better? Can I modify a computer SMPS and use it for this purpose?

Thanks!

You can use a well filtered regulated power supply for this.We are using DIY power supply modified by Omishra for B1+LDR and CNC phonostage.I have few PCBs available.Let me know if you want.More info here http://www.hifivision.com/diy/21036-pass-b1-21.html#post313201
AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks!

I believe the topping can handle 14.5 volts (check before you pull the trigger). it can also use more than the puny 2A (at 12V) that the default adapter provides. go for something like a 4-5A one.

Buy any SMPS used for 2AMP and more. You get adapter for that. Topping is switching amp. So SMPS is not a problem.
BTW why you want to go for linear PS? any special reason?

SMPS and wall warts are always add noise.It is always better to have a well filtered Power supply.

Regards,
Sachin

You can use a well filtered regulated power supply for this.We are using DIY power supply modified by Omishra for B1+LDR and CNC phonostage.I have few PCBs available.Let me know if you want.More info here http://www.hifivision.com/diy/21036-pass-b1-21.html#post313201
AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks Sachin. I read the description and it mentions input from a 500 mA transformer. My amp would require something like 4A to 5A. Do you think this circuit would scale up to that level? I would probably need higher watt diodes, etc.

Also do you know if there's a single place from where I can source all these parts? I am not sure if I can get everything from the local market here.

I believe the topping can handle 14.5 volts (check before you pull the trigger). it can also use more than the puny 2A (at 12V) that the default adapter provides. go for something like a 4-5A one.

That's a good point. I just checked the spec sheet for TA2020 and it says the optimum operating voltage is 13.5V. I should definitely target this instead of 12V. Thanks!

you can use a 12V smps or carBatt eliminator..if you dont wanna filter power , normally topping needs just basic supply.. it is highly tolerant to noise in supply..

one option is 12V 3A 3000mA DC Power Supply Adapter LED Strip Driver | eBay .

I am not sure how good this would be for an amp. The adapter I have right now (came with the amp) is similar to this. It might actually be better as the manufacturer claims(!) it is low noise and audio-grade.

Buy any SMPS used for 2AMP and more. You get adapter for that. Topping is switching amp. So SMPS is not a problem.
BTW why you want to go for linear PS? any special reason?

Looks like SMPS is the simplest way to go. I don't have any preference for linear PS except that it is simple to build. I don't think I can build a SMPS :eek:

I was actually thinking of using a 12V-0-12V 4A transformer with a 4 diode bridge rectifier, a 10000 uF cap and regulated by a 7812 voltage regulator. Would that be good for powering an amp? I saw the circuit that you and Sachin used for the PASS B1 and it is much more complex. What would you recommend?

Also, for SMPS would you recommend I buy a computer SMPS and modify it? Or are there general purpose SMPS power supplies available? Also, would I need to add a few caps at the output of these PS to reduce noise? Is that recommended for SMPS when used to power audio equipment?

Thanks Sachin. I read the description and it mentions input from a 500 mA transformer. My amp would require something like 4A to 5A. Do you think this circuit would scale up to that level? I would probably need higher watt diodes, etc.

Also do you know if there's a single place from where I can source all these parts? I am not sure if I can get everything from the local market here.

I think this PS cab be used for your purpose.All power supply parts,(except coils) are available in local market(Pune),contact Omishra for more detail info.

Regards,
Sachin

If you do go ahead with a larger PS like 13-14v 4-5a, please do compare it to the stock adapter provided and post your opinions. I think the default adapter is utter garbage with 12v 2a supply. There should be more power and more bass available with a better ps.

That PS, regulator chip can deliver 1.5A Max, those MUR8X0 didoes are X00V, 8A didoes. Our use case was B1 preamp hence we recommended optimum 500mA. You amp will required 2A max when it reaches 1%THD.

Looks like SMPS is the simplest way to go. I don't have any preference for linear PS except that it is simple to build. I don't think I can build a SMPS :eek:
Yes, that has a reason. Tripath chips are variable switching amps. They are also called digital amps because they amplify square wave of variable width, dependent upon input. When you give analogue audio input it is modulated with triangular carrier which converts to output of fixed voltage (generally 5V) but variable width square wave. This is switched to max PS rail voltage by internal MOSFETs. Only width is maintained, voltage is increased to PS rail. So output LC filter converts back this variable switched square wave pattern into analogue signal (of new amplified amplitude) . So PS noise is also smoothed. Same time nowhere amplification is analogue, Hence no noise pickup from PS rail. Although these switching in amp creates noise for others :D. take AM/FM radio near speaker wire you will come to know, in case of weak station.

So no problem with SMPS and switching amp. Only criteria is good build quality and robust.
I was actually thinking of using a 12V-0-12V 4A transformer with a 4 diode bridge rectifier, a 10000 uF cap and regulated by a 7812 voltage regulator. Would that be good for powering an amp?
This is bad idea in this case and insufficient for your requirements as 7812 max current is 1.0A only (with sufficient heat sink).
I saw the circuit that you and Sachin used for the PASS B1 and it is much more complex. What would you recommend?
Its more filtered but avoided if you get good SMPS.
Also, for SMPS would you recommend I buy a computer SMPS and modify it? Or are there general purpose SMPS power supplies available? Also, would I need to add a few caps at the output of these PS to reduce noise? Is that recommended for SMPS when used to power audio equipment?
Rather than computer SMPS, (where you get 12V, >5A and okay but overkill for this amp), look for good SMPS in old market used for routers etc. They are robust and good quality. Buy new one if you can get.
I think this PS cab be used for your purpose.All power supply parts,(except coils) are available in local market(Pune),contact Omishra for more detail info.
We shipped 25 kits all over India from Pune. So its not a problem. :)

Thanks OMishra, that's very useful information. I will go for a SMPS. Will need to see where I can get a good one at 13.5V. Your explanation about the workings of the Tripath chips was excellent, I was finally able to understand how these little marvels work! :)

Since you are from Pune I have another question - where do you buy electronic components from? Everyone I have asked this have referred me to Pioneer Electronics in Budhwar Peth, but Pioneer doesn't carry stuff like audiograde capacitors, etc.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back