Prefered SQ not compatible with ears! LOL

corElement

I know many say "Stereo amp" or bust. So might find this a bit stupid/funny.

Well some of you guys may know I have a Jamo avr-693 running off the only pre 2008 dolby digital live soundcard - the nvidia soundstorm from 2002 with an insane amount of controls for everything going out of the digital out.

So anyway after I got my monster cable and soundcard's full features unlocked, I noticed when I set the soundcard to "stereo in dolby mode instead of PCM" my avr seems to get a dolby digital signal even in it's pure stereo mode and.....it just blew my mind when I started hearing tracks on pure stereo through dolby processing...like astoundingly different! But after listening to this dolby pass stereo my ears started to feel fatigue for the first time after I got my setup.

I just find it really IRONIC..... I'm loving the SQ but ears are getting fatigue from more than 20 minutes. The multichannel dolby digital live mode are also excellent while playing mp3 as well as movies but they're more "controlled" than the dolby stereo mode. This mode is like FIRE THE CANNONS! in transparency.

One would imagine sound that one likes to hear would also be comfortable to ones ear but preference seems to differ to ones biology, weird huh :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Well some of you guys may know I have a Jamo avr-693 running off the only pre 2008 dolby digital live soundcard - the nvidia soundstorm from 2002 with an insane amount of controls for everything going out of the digital out.

So anyway after I got my monster cable and soundcard's full features unlocked, I noticed when I set the soundcard to "stereo in dolby mode instead of PCM" my avr seems to get a dolby digital signal even in it's pure stereo mode and.....it just blew my mind when I started hearing tracks on pure stereo through dolby processing...like astoundingly different! But after listening to this dolby pass stereo my ears started to feel fatigue for the first time after I got my setup.

I just find it really IRONIC..... I'm loving the SQ but ears are getting fatigue from more than 20 minutes. The multichannel dolby digital live mode are also excellent while playing mp3 as well as movies but they're more "controlled" than the dolby stereo mode. This mode is like FIRE THE CANNONS! in transparency.

One would imagine sound that one likes to hear would also be comfortable to ones ear but preference seems to differ to ones biology, weird huh :rolleyes:

Try equalizing the energy peaks in high mids to lower highs range then you might continue to enjoy the dolby mode

Regards

Well, the way I figure, when I'm in the mood to totally focus on music I'll just use that dolby stereo mode, rest of the times I'll just stick to Dolby digital live which by itself is far superior to any of the pro logic or neo6 modes on my avr itself.

I have (had.. now it's waiting for sajith to pick it up in bangalore) a soundstorm motherboard too.. you've referring to dolby digital live, i guess.. I remember it being quite forward and lively.. different, but maybe not better. could it be some other processing you are doing on the sound card that's tweaking the sound to your liking?

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back