PS3 Slim OR regular Blu Ray Player

navinmra

Folks -
I've seen this decision being debated on Cnet and other fora but wanted a view closer home hence this post!

My requirements are:
1. Watch Blu rays from multi regions
2. Watch my collection of DVDs from multi regions
3. Play content (Incl hi-def) that's on my laptop or USB sticks

My wires and boxes go like this:

1. Video: Optoma HD20
2. Audio: Bi-amp'ed Denon AVR 1609 with 5.1 speaker configuration

The AVR is non HDMI so I plan to run Component video cables to the HD20 and for the same reason I'll use the Coax or optical jacks on the AVR for the audio

I'm not planning to upgrade my boxes and wires so given this, would you recommend a PS3 slim over a regular Blu ray player

I'm inclined to go PS3 slim because its cheaper and does more than a BD player. Is there a catch? :rolleyes:
1. Will I get hosed with region issues?
2. Will my decision to go analog component over HDMI prevent me from enjoying 1080p?
3. What about BD Live? Will I get it on the PS3?

Thanks folks for taking time off to understand my dilemna. I know I'll have 'em fixed here
Navin

Last edited:
Folks -
I've seen this decision being debated on Cnet and other fora but wanted a view closer home hence this post!

My requirements are:
2. Watch my collection of DVDs from multi regions
3. Play content (Incl hi-def) that's on my laptop or USB sticks

My wires and boxes go like this:

1. Video: Optoma HD20
2. Audio: Bi-amp'ed Denon AVR 1609 with 5.1 speaker configuration

The AVR is non HDMI so I plan to run Component video cables to the HD20 and for the same reason I'll use the Coax or optical jacks on the AVR for the audio

I'm not planning to upgrade my boxes and wires so given this, would you recommend a PS3 slim over a regular Blu ray player

I'm inclined to go PS3 slim because its cheaper and does more than a BD player. Is there a catch? :rolleyes:
1. Will I get hosed with region issues?
2. Will my decision to go analog component over HDMI prevent me from enjoying 1080p?
3. What about BD Live? Will I get it on the PS3?

Thanks folks for taking time off to understand my dilemna. I know I'll have 'em fixed here
Navin

Looks like from your requirements a Standalone BD is the way to go. PS3 doesn't tick your boxes for region-free, Also I've been reading within our forums that you get Panasonic DMP-60 for less than 10K through 20north which is way cheaper than PS3 Slim. I think this is going to give you better bang for bucks, although I'm not sure about the format it supports.

Thanks Teky.
So it does look like the region lock will be the big deciding factor. Is the Panasonic region free? And does region free for DVD and Blu Ray mean the same?
Thanks again!
Navin

I believe it's region free for BD, Not entirely sure about DVD's.

Please refer to the below thread DMP 60

My requirements are:

This Point alone negates PS3 from your choices. PS3 is not region free and can't be Moded to make it region free. Go for the Standalone player like BD80 Since you want to play Divx files through USB otherwise BD60 is good enough for your setup.Any of the above said will cost less than 13K compared to 20K for PS3.

BD60 + National Media player (around 3k) is a good option.

This Point alone negates PS3 from your choices. PS3 is not region free and can't be Moded to make it region free. Go for the Standalone player like BD80 Since you want to play Divx files through USB otherwise BD60 is good enough for your setup.Any of the above said will cost less than 13K compared to 20K for PS3.

BD60 + National Media player (around 3k) is a good option.

Isn't BD region free? correct me if I'm wrong. Only DVD's are region based.

Thanks
Samy

PLUS, PS3 was the best choice initially.. plus they wanted to push BluRay adoption.. Now all companies had enough time to R&D and make great and fast BluRays.. Plus fast loading times were a thing of the past on PS3 (at least when compared to faster loading times of newer players).

Back