PS3 vs dedicated Blu-Ray Player

PS3 is blu-ray region locked. An Indian PS3 has Region Code C. A US PS3 has Region Code A. However, most blu-rays are region-free. Few blu-rays (especially Region A blu-rays from US) are region-locked.

As of now, there is no (legal) way to make the PS3 region-free for blu-rays or DVDs. All PS3 games are region-free.

But most Blu-rays are not region free so in case someone plans to use the PS3 as BDP then there will be this bottleneck.

Most of the blu-rays available in India are usually region-free. If you're ordering over the net from amazon or other international websites, then it creates a problem. Its always better to check whether a blu-ray is region-free before purchasing it. Rhythm House in Mumbai which imports its blu-rays usually checks that the blu-rays are region-free before importing them.

And even blu-ray players available in India (most, not all), usually are region-locked to Region C. Unless you plan to mod the player yourself, or get it done professionally, your player will most likely be region-locked. Check on the player box for the region code.

He mentioned the Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player which is one of THE BEST blu-ray players out there. Audio processing in that player would be excellent, which is why he would use the analog outputs after having the audio processed in the player itself. On the other hand, if you're using an entry-level blu-ray player, it makes sense to use the audio processing in the AVR after sending the audio data bitstream via HDMI.

Having analog audio outputs would give the user the flexibility to decide where he wants the audio processed.

Will a sub 10K BDP like the S370 from Sony do better processing than PS3? My point is that apart from gaming if there is any advantage of going with a PS3 to use it as a BDP I may highly consider PS3 since the PS3 will cost higher than the Sony BDP but I may be able to afford that. If not any advantage as a BDP then I will go for a dedicated sub 10K BDP like the S370

PS3 has wi-fi in-built. Plus, its own hard disk which can be upgraded. PS3 also gets frequent firmware updates. 3D has been enabled in PS3 with a recent firmware update (version 3.50). Not to mention, PS3 was the first blu-ray player, and for a long time, was the best blu-ray player around, till other players like Oppo came in.

Processing-wise, I do not think there would be a great amount of difference between PS3 and BDP-S370. Both, however, will be region locked to blu-ray region C. I am not aware of any methods to make them region-free.

All in all, there are few advantages of PS3 over S370 as mentioned above. If you'll be using ONLY blu-ray playback (non-3D), then both are good. However, if you'll be needing gaming or other PS3 specific features (wi-fi, 3D), then PS3 would be a better choice. Not to mention, the PS3 looks smarter.

Note, however, that you would need to purchase the PS3 BD Remote separately if you'll be doing a lot of blu-ray playback. Getting used to the game controller for blu-ray watching will be a bit cumbersome.

PS3 has wi-fi in-built. Plus, its own hard disk which can be upgraded. PS3 also gets frequent firmware updates. 3D has been enabled in PS3 with a recent firmware update (version 3.50). Not to mention, PS3 was the first blu-ray player, and for a long time, was the best blu-ray player around, till other players like Oppo came in.

Processing-wise, I do not think there would be a great amount of difference between PS3 and BDP-S370. Both, however, will be region locked to blu-ray region C. I am not aware of any methods to make them region-free.

All in all, there are few advantages of PS3 over S370 as mentioned above. If you'll be using ONLY blu-ray playback (non-3D), then both are good. However, if you'll be needing gaming or other PS3 specific features (wi-fi, 3D), then PS3 would be a better choice. Not to mention, the PS3 looks smarter.

Note, however, that you would need to purchase the PS3 BD Remote separately if you'll be doing a lot of blu-ray playback. Getting used to the game controller for blu-ray watching will be a bit cumbersome.

I do see that Sony BDP plays additionally other file formats like divx etc over the network via wifi, not sure if PS3 supports that.

That is true - you can get it for around 1500 Rs. I have not bought the BR remote though, and am fairly comfortable with the game controller while watching media, cant say that for my better half though ;)

I do see that Sony BDP plays additionally other file formats like divx etc over the network via wifi, not sure if PS3 supports that.

PS3 does play AVI/divx without issues over wifi - I use the PS3 Media Server running on the PC, regular SD media is not an issue.

Will a sub 10K BDP like the S370 from Sony do better processing than PS3? My point is that apart from gaming if there is any advantage of going with a PS3 to use it as a BDP I may highly consider PS3 since the PS3 will cost higher than the Sony BDP but I may be able to afford that. If not any advantage as a BDP then I will go for a dedicated sub 10K BDP like the S370

There is information available on other forums for this specific comparison - PS3 Slim vs Sony S370. Don't know if I can post links from other forums here - Google is your friend. :)

Last edited:
PS3 does play AVI/divx without issues over wifi - I use the PS3 Media Server running on the PC, regular SD media is not an issue.

That is for PC, I have a DNS323 NAS, wondering if this will be able to pull from it.

I checked on the DNS 323 forum, it is indeed compatible using the UPnP media server functionality of DNS323.

So to summarize

PS3 with BD playback + support built in wifi and 3D support + gaming = 17 K + remote for 1.5K = 18.5K

Sony BDP S370 for 9 K + Wifi adapter for 4.5 K + remote + no 3D + no gaming = 13.5 K

Audio Processing and Video Processing comparison is almost equal? This will determine the final verdict. Btw is DVD support available in both?

Last edited:
If by DVD support, you mean that both will play DVDs, then YES, both will play DVDs (region locked to region 5 though)

A note however, PS3 does not support the old VCD format. At least, I don't think it does. And I'm guessing (I hope correctly) that the BDP-S370 does support it.

If by DVD support, you mean that both will play DVDs, then YES, both will play DVDs (region locked to region 5 though)

A note however, PS3 does not support the old VCD format. At least, I don't think it does. And I'm guessing (I hope correctly) that the BDP-S370 does support it.

Thanks for pointing this out but on big tv screen even with upscale i guess people will hardly enjoy old vcd.. at least for me this will not be a problem since I have O-Play which can play from my networked computer CD-ROM. But again this is a good point in case someone has considerations in this area.

So to summarize once again after updates on Wifi and VCD

PS3 with BD playback + support built in wifi b/g (no wifi N) and 3D support + gaming = 17 K + remote for 1.5K = 18.5K

Sony BDP S370 for 9 K + Wifi N adapter for 4.5 K + remote + no 3D + no gaming = 13.5 K

Audio Processing and Video Processing comparison is pending. CD is readable in PS3 but there are concerns on old VCD format (may be MPEG-1) not being supported in PS3.

PS3, last time I saw was available for Rs. 19,990 officially. Not sure if you can get it for 17K. Remote pricing is correct.

^^I think thats in relation to the Fat PS3 mate....the Slim should be able to decode everything thrown at it from what i have heard so far.

Someone plz do clarify though....

^^I think thats in relation to the Fat PS3 mate....the Slim should be able to decode everything thrown at it from what i have heard so far.

Someone plz do clarify though....

You are right Imrahn. The Slim PS3 can passthrough HD Audio without any issues. I own a Slim PS3 and can confirm that.

Thanks to both of Imranh and Santhol2. Can anyone of you let me know if there is any single player game (battle / shootout types) that have 7.1 audio with very good graphics in PS3 platform? On the racing front will NFS have good audio (7.1) and graphics on PS3?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back