PS3 vs dedicated Blu-Ray Player

I've seen an option for 7.1 LPCM audio in Uncharted 2 (third-person shooter, and a superb game), but never used it since I have a 5.1 system.

I guess most PS3 exclusives will have 7.1 audio.

I had finally purchased the PS3. Once this that I figurd out is that if you have USB keyboard and mouse you can surf the net with its built iun web browser, can watch youtube, etc. There seems to be a dedicated youtube software for watching on tv which is automatically rendered while watching. I had an old Microsoft wireless Keyboard / mouse combo purchased for around 1400 INR 2 yrs back and it works pretty well with the PS3 even foir the normal menu navigation.

Well in my opinion, PS3 is a VFM ( ?? ) product. It can do a lot better things & it's resale value is also better than a dedicated Blu-ray player. I've a PS3 & I don't feel like having a dedicated blu-ray player. By 0.2 cents !

even i m confused about the ps3 slim & the sony bdp 370, sony will be releasing the bdp380 very soon, any news if the ps3 slim will get mkv support in the long run?

thanks..

If you have the budget of PS3 go for it, over and above your BD player it will have
1. Gaming
2. Keyboard / mouse support through USB so that you can surf net through PS3 on your tv and view any website that is supported by that browser including Youtube, etc
3. Wireless streaming
4. Internal HDD for copying photos, music from network etc
5. Built in video creator and uploader (if you have PS3 eye camera and this comes iwth Move pack if you are not purchasing separately)

Equals between both
1. BD / DVD Playback
2. Network streaming (wireless / wired)

Negatives of PS3
1. Region lock, some BDP can be Region Free or can be tweaked
2. Wifi is G based and hence streaming capability is poor for Large Videos if you have a router placed far away from PS3 and DLNA / UPnP is must for streaming, normal file sharing over network is not accessible unless the media share software is running in that machine. Of course suich network playback capability is not avaialble in many BDPs.
3. Games are costly but then again you can rent or exchange, but then again the gaming capability is not there in BDPs altogether
4. USB Playback formats may be higher in number for some BDPs
5. VCD movies are not playable.
6. You will need to purchase remote separately unless if you manage through controller as that is also possible and many do that.

even i m confused about the ps3 slim & the sony bdp 370, sony will be releasing the bdp380 very soon, any news if the ps3 slim will get mkv support in the long run?

thanks..

Even I was on the same thought an year ago but with loading unsigned apps thru custom firmware has changed a lot
there is app for ps3 called Showtime for ps3
you can play almost all fomats and codecs:yahoo:

Even I was on the same thought an year ago but with loading unsigned apps thru custom firmware has changed a lot
there is app for ps3 called Showtime for ps3
you can play almost all fomats and codecs:yahoo:

Can you please put more light on the procedure you have followed for installing Custom Firmware.

When last year I bought a game Resistance for my PS3, I was unable to play it until I undated the firmware. Same happened when I bought the Move, for this also I had to update the firmware.

And now for even logging into PSN, I need to update to new firmware version.

So my question is how PS3 behaves with custom firmware for above mentioned scenarios.

Can we play new games (legal) with Custom firmware.

I have not gone thru the whole thread - so pardon me if this has been mentioned before. Isn't the PS3 slim 3D capable also? If yes, one more vote in favour.

I have not gone thru the whole thread - so pardon me if this has been mentioned before. Isn't the PS3 slim 3D capable also? If yes, one more vote in favour.

Yes, the PS3 was made 3D capable via a firmware upgrade (I think it was somewhere around firmware version 3.21).

Just 1 drawback, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA cannot be output during 3D playback. Instead, Dolby Digital and DTS will be output.

A few additional pros and cons on the PS3 after around 5 months of usage but none of them stand against my decision to go for region locked

Pros: The upscaling is far superior among all the different devices AVR / TV that I own

cons: It gets quite hot so keep provision for some room for free air circulation over the top of PS3

I do regret the PS3 not being region free but so is most of the other dedicated BDPs. Also wish NTFS support on USB playback to support 4GB+ file playbacks and Wifi-N over Wifi-G

Last edited:
Yes, the PS3 was made 3D capable via a firmware upgrade (I think it was somewhere around firmware version 3.21).

Just 1 drawback, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA cannot be output during 3D playback. Instead, Dolby Digital and DTS will be output.

Sony has updated the firmware recently, and the PS3 can now output DTS HD audio along with 3D playback.

Sony has updated the firmware recently, and the PS3 can now output DTS HD audio along with 3D playback.

Yes, version 3.7. its says on their US website:

"3D playback* of Blu-ray Java ("BD-J") content is now supported. You can now enjoy BD-J content recorded on Blu-ray 3D discs.
DTS-HD audio output is now supported while playing Blu-ray 3D content*."

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back