PSB or Wharfedale

Haren Asher

Hey!

I havent yet auditioned these...

but am considering these as fronts for the 1611.

PSB Image B15

Wharfedale 10.1

Hope to be able check out Monitor Audio as well.

Will give updates on my experiences over the next few weeks.

I am also interested in this comparison. Are PSB in the same price range? I can buy PSB locally from Ashish @ lakozy

PSB speakers are almost unbeatable in it's price range for given quality, it's better if you can audition them and then take a decision.

Regards ....

What are your other components? Also what will be played through these?

Hey!

I havent yet auditioned these...

but am considering these as fronts for the 1611.

PSB Image B15

Wharfedale 10.1

Hope to be able check out Monitor Audio as well.

Will give updates on my experiences over the next few weeks.

PSB speakers are liked by only some listeners
Unlike warfedales they are NOT all rounders

they have a very unique signature that is not liked by all

for example you may get some details from the warfs that may not be there on this particualr a certain PSB model ( the B25 for example)
the B15 will have a 5 inch driver the warfedale will probabyl have a 6 incher - this affects the bass reproduction
(though , which one has "tighter bass" is debatable - for me its the PSB with its smaller more controlled driver )
(however the warfedale will have , louder and more extended bass)
depends on what rocks your boat

BUT vocals is where PSB shines
if you are a stickler for vocals - this will better many speakers ( almost ALL i know of in its price )

howver there is a price diff
one is for 12k odd(warf)
the other( B5) is for 20k odd - ( if its the B15 which is the older model now you could probably get it for slightly less )

monitor audio the older bronze series BR2 ( not sure what the new series is called ) now is a different speaker altogether
Its a very dynamic speaker and resolves details fairly accurately but differs from the warmth and smoothness that a PSB offers
This one like the warfedale is a superb all rounder that does almost everything better than the warfedale INMO- (but at twice the price you should note)
though PSB still has its number in the vocals this speaker is probably one you cant go wrong with at its price ( when it used to retail at 25k)
As stickler for detail and dynamism will love this speaker

however this speaker is also one that must be matched carrfully with its amplification.( blind buys are out of question)
For example there is one brand of amplification that is just too bright for this speaker and would be a total NO NO for me ( however this is purely my opinion only and varies from person to person depending on musical taste)

Last edited:
Hey!
At first i wasn't really clear on how different speakers are tuned for different genres. But many auditions later i am beginning to get an inkling of the nuances in selecting a speaker set.

I will be playing these with Denon 1611, currently using the Qacoustic 2010 as front and a JBL Center and a Sonodyne "Roar 1" sub. The Sub and Center are loaned by a friend.

The Music i listen to: Mostly Rock & alternative, love the sound of good drums, good guitar etc. I do like to Listen to Other genrres as well.. but its not as regular. My favourite bands - Coldplay, Kings of leon, Aerosmith, Goo dolls, Floyd, Santana, Dave Matthews, 80's bands - lynrd skynrd, blue oyster cult, U2, Scorpions, Beatles, doors etc.. The Pubbing People of Bangalore may have been to Tavern @ Museum Inn, Pecos - of 1990 to 2005, geoffreys, just for the feel of the music.

I also like to listen to the good beat of Hip Hop & R&B.

Some days i just love the tunes of spanish Flamenco, gustavo Montesano etc.

Some evenings are spent listening to ghazals, nusrat, norah jones, michael buble, neil diamond, belafonte,

The system is in the bedroom, and is extensively used for Movies and TV as well. We like action movies, crime /murder mysteries and comedy.

A part of the time its also used to listening to bollywood, but in this case its more of the mellow bollywood vs the dhinchak songs :yahoo:

The Q-2010 i have been listening to are nice for vocals, but i am disappointed in their punch. While i have been told to let them breathe in for about 100 hours .. which should be up by the end of the month.. i havent yet noticed a much of a difference in their "sound" especially for the music i like.

Another question. Should i give these some more time, go for a better sub or better fronts? .. the group buy deal on the sub and center on the wharfs is tempting. but for me its a case of either / or not both immediately.:D ..

If budget is not a concern for a pair of bookshelf speakers , add Paradigm Titan Monitors also to the list. Give it a listen. Pretty sure u will be doing dhinchak...:)

for example you may get some details from the warfs that may not be there on this particualr a certain PSB model ( the B25 for example)
the B15 will have a 5 inch driver the warfedale will probabyl have a 6 incher - this affects the bass reproduction
(though , which one has "tighter bass" is debatable - for me its the PSB with its smaller more controlled driver )

if you are a stickler for vocals - this will better many speakers ( almost ALL i know of in its price )

one is for 12k odd(warf)
the other( B5) is for 20k odd - ( if its the B15 which is the older model now you could probably get it for slightly less )

monitor audio the older bronze series BR2 ( not sure what the new series is called ) now is a different speaker altogether
Its a very dynamic speaker and resolves details fairly accurately but differs from the warmth and smoothness that a PSB offers
This one like the warfedale is a superb all rounder that does almost everything better than the warfedale INMO- (but at twice the price you should note)
though PSB still has its number in the vocals this speaker is probably one you cant go wrong with at its price ( when it used to retail at 25k)

however this speaker is also one that must be matched carrfully with its amplification.( blind buys are out of question)
For example there is one brand of amplification that is just too bright for this speaker and would be a total NO NO for me ( however this is purely my opinion only and varies from person to person depending on musical taste)

======================================================

hey magma,

come on .. stick your neck out and tell us what brand of amplification would the PSB not be comfy with ?

:)

mpw

one is for 12k odd(warf)

----------------------------------------------------------

haren,

magmas reply is very good. the question is what rocks your boat as magma puts it.

from all my auditions, i infer now that room dimensions, presence or absence of sub, music tastes are important. Maybe it may be crude but i think one of the decision parameters is speaker weight. I used to have JBL Control Ones as my fronts.. was never satisfied with it.. now i switched to stand mounted speakers Titan Monitors ( each weighs 10 kg ) and the sound is much better. A Floor Stander from the same brand will sound better than a BS simply because it has more wood.

I have heard the paradigms a lot and i think you must add the Paradigm Mini Monitor to your list apart from Dali Lektor 1 ( very very sweet speakers and front ported u could hang them on your wall ). The Mini Monitors are very less talked about in this forum but trust me these are fine speakers.

Bookshelf speakers will require a sub to just pad up the low end. None of the BS will take you down to the low 30's.

Lastly, please ensure enough breathing space for the speakers ( say about 6 to 8 inches ) and this will improve the sound. I pull my stands in front and apart when i want to listen to music and thats one of the advantages of speaker stands.

Give the Q's more time and dont be hasty just take your time , listen and choose. There is always something better out there.

regards,
mpw

I would urge any buyer to close his eyes and visualize the scenario one year later - Do you see a sub in the music system? Then don't worry about bass below 80hz, or if its a 5" or 6" driver. Just get whatever speaker you feel shines at upper bass to the high range.

--G0bble

Rahul

i sincerley find that a sub just messes everything up(in many to most cases)

There are just a handful subs that i find tolerable and that blend well with the music i hear
I have always believed that one should feel the sub more than they hear it

Most of the times separate subs just disjoint the music and soundstage

Sub matching is one of the most difficult things one can do in a pure 2 channel audiophile setup

Rahul

There are just a handful subs that i find tolerable and that blend well with the music i hear

Sub matching is one of the most difficult things one can do in a pure 2 channel audiophile setup

Agreed. Thats why I went overbudget when choosing my sub last week - to select a sub with a reputation for integrating well (ok the most budgety one in the range, but still) .

But once one has reasonable confidence in a product that is known to integrate well, then one can have more choice in selecting BS speakers. Ultimately only a listen will tell ...

So perhaps one could budget for and choose a sub and BS together for a most reasonable chance of success in integrating.

--G0bble

Rahul

I prefer a sub but find myself largely in agreement with what you are saying. In fact all of the above would be largely true even with large floor standers that dig deep. Low frequencies are problematic, we shouldn't blame the sub though.

I couldn't get an ML Dynamo to integrate well until I applied massive amounts of damping to the room(stood 3 spare mattresses against the walls) and then equalized the room with a Behringer DEQ2496. The equalizer did an excellent job of smoothing the overlap between the sub and the main speakers. Room treatment is absolutely necessary to get the best out of a sub. But once you have heard what is possible, it is utterly addictive.

In nearfield applications such as in a small room or in an intimate listening space , I would look for a setup with lots of detail, decay and harmonic development aka SET amp paired with efficient bookshelves from either Tannoy or Klipsch, the sub might be a distraction in this setup.

A sub works well in a moderately large room provided the room is treated and then is properly integrated with the main speakers. Compared to room treatment and proper integration, placement of the sub itself is somewhat overrated.

All of the above is not to take away from the basic quality of the sub, it had better be really good to begin with. Is it worth all this trouble? I cant really answer this for anyone.

Last edited:
Hey Magma

Which are the few subs you believe will do the job well?

This article The Science of Subwoofing | Stereophile.com says that placing a sub in a corner is wrong as it only serves to excite or aggravate room modes.

Wonder perhaps if that could account for the Beast's (BoB's) perception that room treatment was more critical?

What say you Beast? :) Did you try placing the sub away from the corner of the room or between and behind speakers?

--G0bble

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back