Purchasing a new console

santoshreddy21

So I haven't bought a gaming console since the original Xbox 360. I'm nowhere near up to date with today's consoles and what's coming next.

I'm wanting to get a new console (preferably an Xbox) but I was wondering if it's worth it to wait for the next generation model to come out or if the current model will be in play and receiving the latest games/updates and will be worth having without become out of date soon.

Thanks

The new consoles will be out later this year - both Xbox and ps5.

Xbox have promised cross compatibility with existing games so if you are looking at that system, picking up a used one may make sense as any games you buy would still be usable with the new version. Not sure if this holds true of the ps5 - do check.

The new consoles will be out later this year - both Xbox and ps5.

Xbox have promised cross compatibility with existing games so if you are looking at that system, picking up a used one may make sense as any games you buy would still be usable with the new version. Not sure if this holds true of the ps5 - do check.
That's right. I picked up an XBOX 360 after the new Xbox arrived. Everybody wanted to dump the older 360 in favor of the One s. Olx was clogged with people wanting to dump their older machines with free games. The prices of games (X360) also crashed at the same time. I was migrating from a Sony PS3 and the whole XBOX library was unexplored for me. So instead of a PS4 I went for a 360. Now I do play on PC but the cost of components has sky rocketed. Better to wait for some time for the new consoles to come up and wait for people to dump the older generation ones :)

Hi,
I recently purchased an Xbox One X from amazon USA for $350. In my opinion, If you are familiar with the microsoft ecosystem and interface, I would suggest you to go for the One X. It's the most powerful console, until the next gen ones arrive. Even once they arrive, this one will hold out well, since there's a say that future titles will be cross compatible with the One X, since its hardware can hold up to it. Moreover, PS5/next gen Xbox will definitely cost you >600$ in the US or even higher in India. So, better go for the current flagship, rather than wait for a year.

Can you let us know what your use case scenario is for the same. I purchased an Xbox One X since I needed 4k Gaming and 4k Blu Ray playback capabilities, 3d playback is ridden with problems in Xbox One X.

If you are looking purely from a gaming perspective the PS4 Pro for 4k gaming makes much more sense , the exclusives are far too good and way ahead than that of Xbox One X

Why dont you build a Ryzen PC with a RX 580/5700 graphics? may not be able to play Sony exclusives....but gives you tons of flexibility and is more productive as well. Now a days there many game publishers whose monthly plans are affordable (guess this applies to consoles also).

Lastly there is an option to download games from torrent sites - Again not recommending that one should go to pirate sites - but if we have to undergo step motherly treatment, sometimes it is inevitable (from my experience of owning Nintendo Wii since 2006/7) or when games in India are sold at higher prices than their USD equivalent in US.

I personally love gaming on PC , however the convenience and form factor of playing on a console is unmatched for . Also considering the media capabilities the consoles are coming with these days i feel PC gaming is on a decline, will be preferred only by purists like us who prefer the old school mouse and keyboard combo :)

I personally love gaming on PC , however the convenience and form factor of playing on a console is unmatched for . Also considering the media capabilities the consoles are coming with these days i feel PC gaming is on a decline, will be preferred only by purists like us who prefer the old school mouse and keyboard combo :)

Correct me, but isn’t console gaming more old school than PC games? PCs became household feature only since 2000’s. Console games in arcades (and some handhelds) have been there for at least 20 years before that!

What capabilities do consoles have that PCs dont? just curious

The handheld controls. In some cases other controls below your feet and wearables. These are equipped with myriad meters - gyrometer, accelerometer, and so on to enable you to mimic the exact actions of the real life sport/activity. Consequent benefits include high level of immersion and physical exercise and enjoyment. The engagement is not limited to just your eyes, ears, fingers and brain. Potentially there can be full body engagement.

Last edited by a moderator:
@SachinChavan I never said PC is older than consoles, i said playing with mouse/keyboard is now considered old school and there is a very small market for the same and very few people actually are hooked on to it.

@arnprasad What i was referring to is that consoles these days support 4k gaming , 4k blu rays , streaming support , have several usual playstore apps and latest audio/video codec support and coming in such a small form factor that people dont prefer PCs anymore due to need for so much real estate. Honestly i prefer PC over a console for gaming anyday since i am more into FPS games.

@SachinChavan I never said PC is older than consoles, i said playing with mouse/keyboard is now considered old school and there is a very small market for the same and very few people actually are hooked on to it.

@arnprasad What i was referring to is that consoles these days support 4k gaming , 4k blu rays , streaming support , have several usual playstore apps and latest audio/video codec support and coming in such a small form factor that people dont prefer PCs anymore due to need for so much real estate. Honestly i prefer PC over a console for gaming anyday since i am more into FPS games.

Maybe you are serious gamers. I dont play games but my kids play AC Odyssey..Witcher..types at medium setting and 1080p....plus we use the PC as a productive tool 75% of the times. Regarding the controller...I bought them couple of cheap ones from Ali Express....they may not rival console level ones..but they satisfy their needs....again they are only 12-13 yrs old and they prefer the keyboard and mouse over these. Thx

I use my PC for serious gaming but totally get your point :)

What's a basic graphics card for 1080p PC gaming ?

Rest of the system : Intel i3 4130, 8Gb RAM, Samsung Evo 840 100Gb, WD 1TB HDD, CM 550W PSU

For stable fps at high/ultra settings a 2070 is recommended else a 2060 will suffice.

If you are ok with the older series, you can source a 1070Ti for a good price which is also good for full HD gaming

i got my rx570 from US for 100 USD... for 1080P should be more than enough even for AAA titles is what I understand from youtube reviews..may be if you get a used 570/580 on ebay/olx in India for 5-6K should be a nice deal

I use my PC for serious gaming but totally get your point :)
I should have checked your signature before commenting :)

Also I got Wii with 30+ games, Switch with 6-7 top titles, Xbox 360 with some 15 games....all lying unused ever since they started playing Odyssey. on my new PC.. And the sad part is I didnt even pay for Odyssey whereas all the top rupees/dollars/EUR I paid for the consoles and games is lying unused :(

Personally I feel consoles are fun for casual multiplayers and exclusives only. I had a ps3 for quiet some time , upgraded to PS4 and sold it off because of same reason that it remained unused. I guess I will forever stay loyal to a PC till death does us apart or they stop making one :)

Gaming PCs are more reasonable.
But a Xbox one x costs around 350$. Since the worth of the controller is around 45$ let’s call it 305. Since a gaming pc need a gaming keyboard and mouse let’s take this budget for that . Still I dont think you would get a decent keyboard and mouse of gaming category at this price.

Now, we it would be fair to compare a new pc at 305$ vs Xbox one x at the same price.

Xbox one x is as good or even better than a budget 4 k hdr blu ray player. So to make it even let’s add a 4K Uhd drive to the pc. So that’s around 10k as regular blu ray drive won’t read 4K blu rays.

So now at 200$ is there a pc which is capable of doing 4K hdr on games or 60fps 1080p on most of the gamesI guess the answer is still no in 2020.
PCs have gotten better over time But still for its price the Xbox one x is an amazing value proposition for what it can do if gaming and media consumption is your need.

Huge downside is you need to pay for online gaming which I learned the hard way;)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back