pvc carpet

neo9999

Hi Folks,

I'm in process of setting up a carpet from acoustics perspective on the floor in my room where I'm setting up a home theatre.

Wanted advice on how good are PVC or vinyl carpets from sound absorption/proofing perspective. The pvc looks nice with wooden finish look. Or is there a better carpet option that should be considered? Looking to spend not more than 5-10K. Floor size is 12'X10'.

Secondly, does anyone know any contact who makes glass wool panels in Pune?

PVC and Vinyl are both reflective surfaces and will not help if absorption is what you are looking for. You will need a thick carpet made of fibres/jute/wool etc for absorption. While choosing, select something which is made of natural materials like mentioned above. Try and avoid polywool/polysilk etc.

PVC and Vinyl are both reflective surfaces and will not help if absorption is what you are looking for. You will need a thick carpet made of fibres/jute/wool etc for absorption. While choosing, select something which is made of natural materials like mentioned above. Try and avoid polywool/polysilk etc.

+1 to above.

Why not faux wood flooring? Looks nicer, but should cost more.

For better floor acoustics, carpet/rug on whatever floor is best option - not plain wood or vinyl flooring.

I too was considering a wooden flooring because it looks very nice and easy to maintain but i withdrew because did not want to compromise on acoustics and finally settled for thick carpet.

V

I got a 1 inch thick woollen carpet costing 16K. Its ugly does not match the interiors but I just made a choice like a audiophile fanatic not as a interior decorator. The choices in patterns and colors were poor in the shop I guess, and not my sense of aesthetics and taste:eek:hyeah:

Of course Bangalore is costly, you will find a better deal for the same wherever you are ...

--G0bble

Thanks Santhosh, V and rest folks..

Any references to the thick / fibre carpets in Pune? I visited some carpet stores yesterday but none of them had for a floor to floor type carpet option except for PVC types.

I got some reference to some hind traders who supply wool carpets. Will check samples from him and decide.

Why not faux wood flooring? Looks nicer, but should cost more.
Without knowing exactly what flooring you mean :eek: ...

Not sure about this. artificial wood flooring actually consists of a wood print applied to plywood or some other formed substance. It can be nothing more than paper under a layer of film or varnish. It is easily damaged, and, once scratched probably cannot be recovered. Real wood planking, or even a flooring system with a decent thickness of real-wood veneer is likely to be very expensive.

I used a simple carpet used in Offices etc with a 8 mm thick high density foam meant to be put below carpets. The carpet cost me Rs. 12 per Sq feet and foam Rs. 6 per Sq ft. Carpets are available as low as Rs 10 per sq ft which do not have any self design. Mines as a self design. I got this from Panipat in Haryana, (Near Delhi) but I think you can get it in Pune too.

One more caution. The worst item in my HT room is the Carpet. It is the signgle most reason for smell in the room even though we do not eat or drink in the HT room and I open the door for hours every day. The carpet requires serious Vacuming every week! :( I am infact thinking of replacing it with wooden flooring which starts from Rs 40 per Sq ft.
You can put 4-8 mm think foam below the wooden flooring for Sound proofing and the texture of the floor can be appropriately choosen to be a little rough. The acoustics can still be taken care ofwith good roof and walls treatment. Just my opinion, based on my experience.

I got a 1 inch thick woollen carpet costing 16K. Its ugly does not match the interiors but I just made a choice like a audiophile fanatic not as a interior decorator. The choices in patterns and colors were poor in the shop I guess, and not my sense of aesthetics and taste:eek:hyeah:

Of course Bangalore is costly, you will find a better deal for the same wherever you are ...

--G0bble

Did buying the carpet help in dampening the sound.. I mean did u find any improvement in the sound

Thanks Aloklala. I didnt understand the usage of foam under the carpet, does it help a lot in acoustincs? When I consulted someone, I was told that a carpet ( used in offices) should be enough. Is there any specific model/brand of the foam? or if I inquire just by saying foam, in the market, I should get them?

G0bble - do you mind posting pics of the carpet? I was told by someone that maintenance of woollen carpets is heavy and the thread/wool part keeps coming off, depending on quality of the material used.

Alok,

In my case i had paid about Rs.50,000/- for wall to wall carpet, it has a good design with back ground in red color + a white foam below the carpet.

I do not have any sort of problem with the carpet when it comes to smell etc therefore i do not have to keep the room open for a minute also for the smell to pass out. In your case i am sure that the smell will go away sooner then later and in other words i am sure that with each passing day the smell must be getting lesser. You can consider to have a automatic room freshener in the room, i have been using one all these years.

I get the room vacuum cleaned once a week and it is extremely easy, in 15 minutes the job is done and not to forget that i use the room extensively, for over 10 hours a day. To add further, it is now over 6 years i am using the carpet and it is as good as new.

I remember in initial days it used to take longer to vacum the room because we had never used the gadget but now it is real quick.

V

I used a simple carpet used in Offices etc with a 8 mm thick high density foam meant to be put below carpets. The carpet cost me Rs. 12 per Sq feet and foam Rs. 6 per Sq ft. Carpets are available as low as Rs 10 per sq ft which do not have any self design. Mines as a self design.

One more caution. The worst item in my HT room is the Carpet. It is the signgle most reason for smell in the room even though we do not eat or drink in the HT room and I open the door for hours every day. The carpet requires serious Vacuming every week! :( I am infact thinking of replacing it with wooden flooring which starts from Rs 40 per Sq ft.

Last edited:
neo9999 if there are kids in home , especially small kids ,wall to wall carpet may not be good for health .... as dust particles and other particles incl skin shreads get trapped .or do not buy carpet which is velvety or hairy in appearance ,and see how much cleaning trouble will incur,

Neo,

In my case while vacuum cleaning the carpet there is as good as nothing which comes off. You can see picture of carpet in my signature link.

1. I was given to understand that foam does help in acoustic.
  2. While walking on a foamed carpet the feel is better.
  3. The foam sheet can be sourced from carpet seller itself.
  4. A better carpet shop in terms of good quality is likely to have good foam too.
V

Thanks Aloklala. I didnt understand the usage of foam under the carpet, does it help a lot in acoustincs? When I consulted someone, I was told that a carpet ( used in offices) should be enough. Is there any specific model/brand of the foam? or if I inquire just by saying foam, in the market, I should get them?

G0bble - do you mind posting pics of the carpet? I was told by someone that maintenance of woollen carpets is heavy and the thread/wool part keeps coming off, depending on quality of the material used.

Hemant,

In case of wall to wall carpet in a common area other then a dedicated entertainment room, i too think it may not be a good idea.

In other words if such carpeting is done in a dedicated room then the effect on kids could be considerably less that is if bad effect occurs to them.

With vacuum cleaning i think the dust and other particles issue will get solved and this kind of a cleaning is also very easy, am i right to assume this?

If more precautions are required then that too could be worked out in some or the other way depending upon the type of need.

V

neo9999 if there are kids in home , especially small kids ,wall to wall carpet may not be good for health .... as dust particles and other particles incl skin shreads get trapped .or do not buy carpet which is velvety or hairy in appearance ,and see how much cleaning trouble will incur,

Thanks Vinay and Aloklala. I will check with the carpet seller for the foam part.

I plan to have the carpet only on the floor. Will post pic of the material which I plan to order.

The foam helps to dampen the sound more from reaching the downstair room/s if any. Also it makes the carpet more fluffy and so it feels much better to our feet while walking on it.

The Carpets used in Offices are good enough I think.

The pictures of my room and orange color carpet are on the facebook link I posted in my thread.

Wollen carpets are definately difficult to maintain. Synthetic ones are comparatively easier to maintain. Wool definately comes off after some time and it also helps bacteria , fungus etc. grow faster. So you have to vacum it regularly. (Once in a week atleast)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back