Qobuz sounds better than Tidal Hifi on my set up

Analogous

I was curious to find out for myself which streaming service sounded better and so I got a Qobuz subscription a week before the Tidal subscription ended recently so I could listen and discover. As per my brief inter web search Qobuz streams lossless (FLAC mostly, sometimes MP3 @320kbps) Tidal seems to stream less in FLAC.

Sharing a personal preference after listening to a few songs from a few albums by the following artists (same albums/recordings as far as I could tell)

Arooj Aftab- Vulture Prince
Beck - Morning Phase
Dire straits- Brothers in Arms
Ben Harper - Diamonds on the inside
Ry Cooder - Chavez Ravine
Ali Farka Toure - Savane (2019 remaster)
Daniel Lanois - Shine

In my set up I played back around 20 songs from these albums (switching between Tidal and Qobuz was a bit tedious) Qobuz definitely sounded better. Tidal HiFi playback was non MQA. Perceptions may vary in different set ups and my listening choices were limited.

So, I felt the AQ was clearer, deeper and was more dynamic on Qobuz. Just saying….

Disclaimer: I have no financial links with these companies or derive any other benefits….blah blah

My set up: Streamer to Integrated Tube amp to stand mount speakers and a subwoofer; Room - 12’x15’, minimal treatment

Played Rudaali (1993) yesterday on tidal Hifi and Qobuz
the difference was quite easily perceivable and Qobuz sounded way better. Overall Qobuz was better sounding of the two, very rarely I preferred the Tidal Version. I Could make out the benefits of Local DSD vs FLAC but Couldn't Perceive any added advantage with MQA.

I got a Qobuz subscription a week
Congrats, grabbing a Qobuz subscription is itself a mammoth task...:) I couldn't distinguish much between them on their FLAC streaming (16/48). However, MQA (complete unfolding) tracks sound a bit more lively to my untrained ears than Qobuz for most of the Genre...

And for some reason I am still yet to understand Radio paradise sounds even better than Qobuz.

This being a Radio station, it’s not possible to do A-B comparisons (takes time to search and select song on Qobuz)

But switching between them the difference is immediately apparent (on my set up)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Any explanation? Or theories?

And for some reason I am still yet to understand Radio paradise sounds even better than Qobuz.

This being a Radio station, it’s not possible to do A-B comparisons (takes time to search and select song on Qobuz)

But switching between them the difference is immediately apparent (on my set up)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Any explanation? Or theories?
I felt Radio Paradise sounds brighter (and a bit louder), but not sure whether it's better than Tidal or Qobuz. I feel like they've beefed it up to make it sound better deceptively.

Tidal MQA (even with full unfold) always left me with this impression that the music was being "smeared" in some way. While not day and night, but Qobuz certainly sounds better to me as well - and without all the mqa voodoo. In fact I'd say it's easily the best sounding of all services currently and outclasses Apple Lossless as well.

I also feel that Qobuz is the best streaming service currently. I am thoroughly enjoying the vast jazz collection they have, and many titles are in 24/192 res. which sound excellent.
Cheers,
Sid

I also feel that Qobuz is the best streaming service currently. I am thoroughly enjoying the vast jazz collection they have, and many titles are in 24/192 res. which sound excellent.
Cheers,
Sid
+1 to that.
Starting the day with a bit of Miles Davis makes covid restrictions feel much better.

Congrats, grabbing a Qobuz subscription is itself a mammoth task...:) I couldn't distinguish much between them on their FLAC streaming (16/48). However, MQA (complete unfolding) tracks sound a bit more lively to my untrained ears than Qobuz for most of the Genre...
What's your setup for playing MQA? Do you have a dac that does final unfold or just use roon for first unfolding?

What's your setup for playing MQA? Do you have a dac that does final unfold or just use roon for first unfolding?
My DAC does the Full Unfolding (Decoder + Renderer). I connect through Tidal Connect, and the DAC does the rest.

I started with Spotify, that lasted about a week! Iphone / Amazon Echo quality IMO. Then I too moved to Qobuz, much better.

But still I sense dynamic range compression being applied. I did some tests with CDs and the CDs sound a tad better. I had to breakout my old DBX-3 dynamic range expander, which I thought was obsolete since CDs came along 40 years ago. I have it on my preamp tape loop. It does help if used sparingly.

Has anyone seen the prices these old DBX boxes now go for on Ebay. I could easily sell my DBX3 Series 2 for $600-$800. I wonder if others are finding the benefits on streamed music as well?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back