quality of indian branded speakers

IMO: Just like with most international brands, there are some very good sounding Indian brands and models as also mediocre ones. Just like most international brands there is some correlation between cost and quality….upto a point.
Patriotism aside, I think there are some exceptional speaker models from Indian manufacturers that deserve to be heard and evaluated without bias, in the same way as we would with any other speaker models.

I do believe that Indian manufacturers are less adept and spend much less in marketing and advertising compared to the big multinational brands. But this is the case with most boutique audio companies everywhere with talented audio engineers and designers who are not very skilled in advertising and publicity.

As a start few knowledgeable folks making review videos would be great reach. After sometime the quality will speak for them. No need to spend much on marketing.
I remember Edifier took off like that.

spend a little more and get good imported speakers. it will last yu many years. Indian speakers are yet to come to the standards of b&w, Jamo etc
Not sure if you have auditioned any Indian brand. A good AB test might just help you change the perception

spend a little more and get good imported speakers. it will last yu many years. Indian speakers are yet to come to the standards of b&w, Jamo etc
This is not completely true .There are good Indian brand speakers available at different budget segment,sadly the exposure to many is very less.

Sonodyne are making speakers for Home as well as recording studios. Good no. of videos on youtube about sonodyne monitors. In the yesteryears also they roped in experts to make speakers. I guess only they publish speaker measurements or have seen measurements in some foreign websites. Fit and finish also looks good.
Regards
-----------------------------
This thread is 14 years old

IMO: Just like with most international brands, there are some very good sounding Indian brands and models as also mediocre ones. Just like most international brands there is some correlation between cost and quality….upto a point.
Patriotism aside, I think there are some exceptional speaker models from Indian manufacturers that deserve to be heard and evaluated without bias, in the same way as we would with any other speaker models.

I do believe that Indian manufacturers are less adept and spend much less in marketing and advertising compared to the big multinational brands. But this is the case with most boutique audio companies everywhere with talented audio engineers and designers who are not very skilled in advertising and publicity.
As always, trust @Analogous to come up with the best take!
Any personal experience, sir?
Much as I respect you (you have been really helpful in many threads), you'd do well not to generalise like this,na?

I am a noob who went with imported speakers. But it would be more helpful if you could let us know which Indian speakers have been disappointing, and which imported speakers are 100% guaranteed maza.

Regards
PS: It's a bit unkind what you said. My limited point.

Moderator's note:
Back to back posts have been merged. Multiquote multiple messages in a single post to reduce clutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello ,
I have head only a few Indian speakers but unfortunately 2 of them are not being built anymore.

1)Cadence:- have head their electrostatic as well as non electrostatic pairs and felt them to be amazing. What I have observed is the owners try to play a lot of Jazz and Blues and try to stereotype their suitability when demoing. Recently when I had a chance to checkout a preowned Cadence Electrostatic speaker (adv on OLX), I took my bunch of Music :-alternative, Modern Rock , Israeli folk and they were more than satisfying in performance in every way. Plus the Cabinets are so nicely made, some with even carving etc . Finally I didnt buy as advised by some of my friends, the electrostatic panel are known to fail at some pint and no one is now available for repair. The Folks at Cadence themselves are unable to assist. I feel buying a preowned cadence speakers is still a quality buy.

2)Mickey Registrars Speakers: I am in love with these. They are so detailed, delicate and mids just float,highs shine. And the tandem Base drivers wake up with such a fury and punch you in the chest. I have not heard anything like it. And they completely disappear . A pre owned pair is a must buy if available anywhere,IMHO.

3)Lyrita Audio:- I have not heard these but have spoken with some FM's and they vouch for it. I have ordered mine with 12 inch driver but without the wooden horn. I am looking forward to hearing it and feel they will be very good. Will update with a review.

So yes there are very good options available locally.

I was about to buy the Tekton Pendragons which cost same as the Lyrita model, I have chosen but the cost of Customs, shipping and other things dint make sense. The Pendragon's philosophy is same as that of the Lyrita speakers. Both use Tweeters for mid range, both use PA drivers (From Eminence) and I hope to really enjoy the Lyrita experience.Plus with Mr Viren as the builder, already tilts the scales.

Thanks -

Hello ,
I have head only a few Indian speakers but unfortunately 2 of them are not being built anymore.

1)Cadence:- have head their electrostatic as well as non electrostatic pairs and felt them to be amazing. What I have observed is the owners try to play a lot of Jazz and Blues and try to stereotype their suitability when demoing. Recently when I had a chance to checkout a preowned Cadence Electrostatic speaker (adv on OLX), I took my bunch of Music :-alternative, Modern Rock , Israeli folk and they were more than satisfying in performance in every way. Plus the Cabinets are so nicely made, some with even carving etc . Finally I didnt buy as advised by some of my friends, the electrostatic panel are known to fail at some pint and no one is now available for repair. The Folks at Cadence themselves are unable to assist. I feel buying a preowned cadence speakers is still a quality buy.

2)Mickey Registrars Speakers: I am in love with these. They are so detailed, delicate and mids just float,highs shine. And the tandem Base drivers wake up with such a fury and punch you in the chest. I have not heard anything like it. And they completely disappear . A pre owned pair is a must buy if available anywhere,IMHO.

3)Lyrita Audio:- I have not heard these but have spoken with some FM's and they vouch for it. I have ordered mine with 12 inch driver but without the wooden horn. I am looking forward to hearing it and feel they will be very good. Will update with a review.

So yes there are very good options available locally.

I was about to buy the Tekton Pendragons which cost same as the Lyrita model, I have chosen but the cost of Customs, shipping and other things dint make sense. The Pendragon's philosophy is same as that of the Lyrita speakers. Both use Tweeters for mid range, both use PA drivers (From Eminence) and I hope to really enjoy the Lyrita experience.Plus with Mr Viren as the builder, already tilts the scales.

Thanks -
I have Lyrita and used may International Brands. If your amp is good you won’t regret with Lyrita.

well said.
In the end , except for Rethm, most indian brands are focused in india and that is a small market when it comes to serious audio.
Rethm is again a very Niche design but it quality in terms of audio , aesthetics and build are second to none.
I presume economies of scale also come to mind. Especially in speakers where the the individual components , build quality and sound quality cannot be doubted

Last edited:
LOL 🤣. This sounds like a blind man with a lamp.
I find some of the diys sound a lot better than some of the indian brands. Yet to try rethm though.

When you want both quality build and sound, spend extra and get established branded ones. Safe bet always.

But if one is keen on indian brands, can go for it.

Back