Rare Find - Pioneer PL-15 TT & Pioneer CS-15 Spks

Did I mention that I also picked up 4 NOS 45rpm EPs and 2 others EPs(in very good condition);)

Kati Patang
Aradhana
Sholay
Chalte Chalte
Aap ki Kathir (used but in very good condition)
& 1 Tamil EP - Apoorva Raagangal (dad loves it)

46d90200.jpg

Santhosh, with great difficulty we manage to get approval for one system. How did you manage to convince her you need two systems?

Need to learn that from you.

Have fun.

Santhosh, with great difficulty we manage to get approval for one system. How did you manage to convince her you need two systems?

Have fun.

Well said sir!

Santhosh, I am coming to visit you first to figure out your WAF process and then to listen to some vinyl :)

Thanks Reubensm, Srini, Asitda, Avidyarthy, Murali Sir, Hitenbhai, Narendra, Sachin for your kind words.

@Reubensm & Asit: I got this from a chap(nice guy, by the way) who deals in Antiques. I actually went to him for an antique writing table for my Dad but did not like any. So I was generally looking around his shop and saw this carton. The history as per the dealer is that this was brought from UAE by someone who was from Bangalore but working in UAE. This was in storage and forgotten about until it was recently found and brought in by his family for sale.

Size of speakers is 18"H x 11"W x 8"D. Smallish fullrange speakers that sound good in my little bit of testing. Here is a pic that might help relate to it's size. Yes, my son Tejas has been trained to sit in the sweetspot:).

37faedf9.jpg

Avidyarthy & Murali Sir: You folks are welcome anytime. Have noted down your preferences:).

Hi Santhosh,
Your setup looks very beautiful:clapping:,I guess next thing would be a good Tube amp:eek:hyeah:.

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
I guess next thing would be a good Tube amp:eek:hyeah:.
Exactly, A good vinyl recording running through a SET amp and to full range pioneer speakers will be an audio bliss.
It could be best traditional high fidelity analogue sound reproduction. Put on a 45 rpm single well recorded vinyl to SET amp (class A and not push pull) and full range speakers. :thumbsup:
Liked the pic of your kid listening to vinyl :)

Have fun.
Hehehe Prem. Lucky that she does not mind it as long as it is aesthetically nice and....this setup does look good (even if I say so myself:)). It is furniture as long as she is concerned:D.

Well said sir!

Santhosh, I am coming to visit you first to figure out your WAF process and then to listen to some vinyl :)
LOL... when are you dropping by? PM me.

Congrats Santhosh,

You sure are filling every room with sound :).
Thanks Steven. Not really, bedroom system is decomissioned as a result. Dali Ikons will be on sale soon. Too many speakers at the moment and a very light wallet:lol:.

Wow Santhosh

You have really done up that space in the indoor balcony wonderfully!! :clapping:

--G0bble
Thanks buddy.

Last edited:
Hi Santhosh,
Your setup looks very beautiful:clapping:,I guess next thing would be a good Tube amp:eek:hyeah:.

Regards,
Sachin
Thanks Sachin. Tube amp may not be possible as these speakers need more power. But I am planning a Tube-Pre mated with a good Solid State amp.

Exactly, A good vinyl recording running through a SET amp and to full range pioneer speakers will be an audio bliss.
It could be best traditional high fidelity analogue sound reproduction. Put on a 45 rpm single well recorded vinyl to SET amp (class A and not push pull) and full range speakers. :thumbsup:
Agree with you fully Hitenbhai.

Liked the pic of your kid listening to vinyl :)
Thanks Hiten. He enjoys hanging around when I am listening to music or tweaking with my system/car/bike etc... so include him as much as I can. I am glad some of my love for music, gadgets and mechanical things has rubbed off on him.

Great looking TT Santosh :cool: you are really lucky to get a TT in such condition. Looks like you have stopped listening to Cd's :D

Regards,
Anil

Been doing some reading and unraveling some info on my TT. This is the best part of owning any Vintage stuff:thumbsup:

Figured out that the my PL-15 TT was sold as a PL-15C is some countries:

Here is a link with some nice pics:
http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/giradischi/pioneer-pl15c/pioneer-pl15c.htm

Still trying to find the exact year as I have not found anything so far from the carton or literature that came with mine.

BTW, the PL-15D was 1973 onwards and was targetted at US market. While most things were same, here are some differences:
Headshell is different from mine (15D has holes on the top, mine doesn't)
Different Cart(PC-30) - (mine has a Pioneer PC-11 cart with a PN-11 stylus)
Has a overhang checker - (mine doesn't)
Anti-skating is Dial Type - (mine has a weight)
S-shaped tonearm (mine is J-shaped type)

Last edited:
Rajiv,
As mentioned to you over phone yesterday, the driver model is 16-712F. I opened the cabinet yesterday after I returned from work as your post made me curious to find the driver employed in the speaker:).

0b9828e7.jpg

5d59ddd0.jpg

Santosh,
I am a bit confused about that 'Maximum Input Power = 7W' spec in the second picture of your recent post. Usually speakers give a max power handling for the safety limit on the drivers and/or diaphragm excursions and usually is of no consequence. Now, in this case, does the spec mean you cannot put more than 7W of power into the speakers?

Regards.

Asitda,
Guess they are sensitive, they are able to produce room-filling SPL at even half their rated input rating. Also think that powerful amplification was uncommon in that era (only a guess) and amps were mostly tube-based?

Yes, I will need to be extremely careful with the volume pot so as to not damage the drivers.

Sorry for the delayed post but the story behind these speakers and the turntable is amazing!!

All the very best Santhosh, I'm in the process of realizing my dream Technics speakers as well, wanted to have the SB7000 or SB A 53 speakers but unfortunately, the A 53 available for our fellow forum member, though in immaculate condition, is way beyond my budget. I'm settling for its younger sibling, the A33. Thanks to another forum member who has been very kind and transparent.

Btw, I've recall seeing a similar looking set of speakers paired with a reel to reel, when I was a kid. I recall admiring them for a long long time, till my dad returned the magazine to the library. I still remember him telling me that each speaker had a 5 watt rating. I recall a number of those models even today. My next avtaar would probably be to complete my rack with a good reel to reel.

Last edited:
Thanks Anil. Still listen to CD, but upgrade itch has stopped. Happy with the Marantz CD63SE:)

Dear Santhosh, see that you use a Marantz CD63SE. My CD63SE has stopped reading all discs. Guess the laser transport requires a change. Going to order one from Singapore, online.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back