Rare Find - Pioneer PL-15 TT & Pioneer CS-15 Spks

Update: As advised by Sachin(sachu888) and Manav (malvai), I have ordered the replacement stylus from JICO, Japan. Both claim they sound better(sonically) than the original stylus. Cost me Rs.1660 inclusive of shipping. Expect the Stylus to reach me by end of this month.

Phonograph Stylus : Pioneer > PN10
Received the stylus yesterday from JICO, Japan. Excellent packing and they kept me updated of the status throughout. Very pleasant experience. Thanks to Sachin and Malvai for recommending JICO to me.

b76a2f13.jpg

To test the TT's electronics, I set up the cart/stylus quickly, made a Jugaad belt out of a rubber O-ring and ran it...it works!! Was getting sound from only left channel first (alignment still pending). So all good for now.
bb2a0494.jpg

1a2ed2be.jpg

Few more updates since I last posted about my Vintage system, have added a NAD 1020A pre-amp and a NAD 216 THX power amp. The NAD 216 THX @125wpc seems to drive the B&W DM3000's better than my 200wpc ADCOM 555MkII. My original plan was to have a tube-pre and a solid-state amp, but when I came across a NAD 1020A in mint condition and excellent ownership history (reubensm->CaptRajesh->me), I blindly went for it and to my luck the entire chain worked out very well. Will still try out a few tube-pres to see what they bring into the equation.

Here is a pic of the 1020A:
9de8250d.jpg

More on the ownership history of the NAD pre can be found here:
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/17519-vintage-nad-1020a-preamp-bought-new-1984-a.html

Congrats Santhosh, looks like the good ol' NAD 1020A has finally arrived home. I grew up listening to that amp, which was owned by a very knowledgeable and extremely careful personality, my dad. Thanks for honoring us by referring to this preamp's history. Something I should also add is that my Dad was extreme at DIY as well. I still remember from my early childhood, his first music system consisted of an HMV Calypso record player, the amplifier part of an old Ferguson radio (still remember him proudly talking about it beam-power output tube), a mono DIY speaker (still remember it had a huge bass horn) and a preamp which had a DIY wood cabinet as big as the NAD 1020A balancing on 8 match boxes which huge feedback loops hanging out of the bottom :)

Of course, all this is long gone (this was the early 1970s) but later on, he still used to say that his DIY preamp was unbeatable. I still remember the great stories he used to tell me about how he started building that preamp. There was no internet or easy access to libraries in those days. He started by building a single stage (single transistor) preamp using AC125 based on a preamp schematic for a guitar amplifier and that evolved into his 4-stage preamp. Good memories!!

All the very best Santhosh, meanwhile, thanks to Blasto, I've been able to get hold of a NAD C320 and believe this or not, it sounds exactly like the NAD 1020A + 216thx combine and also like my brother's NAD 3020A. The C320 in my opinion is a fantastic amp.

Before buying my AP Pre-power combo, I was looking a pre-amp to pair with my Class D Audio Power amp and found this impeccable looking pre-amp being sold in the forum and jumped at it.

I paid for it but wanted to take delivery in person due to my total lack of faith in the capability of our courier companies. As luck would have it, I had to visit Trivandrum on official work and got it touch but was unable to visit to Reuben's place due to paucity of time. He was so concerned to deliver the pre-amp that he came to my Hotel in person and delivered the gem. It was as impeccable looking as the man who delivered it. :eek:hyeah:

When I sounded in some thread that the pre-amp is for sale, there were good number of responses. I'm happy it was taken by a dear friend who wanted to set up a vintage system. :clapping:

Last edited:
Congrats santhosh! Now all the more reason to make another trip to listen! Let us know how it sounds when all is set up ok!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before buying my AP Pre-power combo, I was looking a pre-amp to pair with my Class D Audio Power amp and found this impeccable looking pre-amp being sold in the forum and jumped at it.

I paid for it but wanted to take delivery in person due to my total lack of faith in the capability of our courier companies. As luck would have it, I had to visit Trivandrum on official work and got it touch but was unable to visit to Reuben's place due to paucity of time. He was so concerned to deliver the pre-amp that he came to my Hotel in person and delivered the gem. It was as impeccable looking as the man who delivered it. :eek:hyeah:

When I sounded in some thread that the pre-amp is for sale, there was good number of responses. I'm happy it was taken by a dear friend who wanted to set up a vintage system. :clapping:

The next time you come down, and if I am around, we definitely have to meet up.

Hi Santhosh,

Did you build CNC phono.I bet you will prefer it over NAD.
PS: Nad looks like new.

Regards,
Sachin

The NAD 1020A is quite a benchmark to beat. When I had it, I recorded a tape (on my NAK DR3) of the Jhoota Hi Sahi LP, for playing in my car. Compared that tape to recordings made from CD source using my Marantz CD63SE, the Jhoota Hi Sahi recording sounded way better than those made from original imported CDs. Anyways, I'm also on the CNC bandwagon and looking forward to constructing it. If it sounds better, I'll switch my allegiance from NAD to CNC :)

Last edited:
The NAD 1020A is quite a benchmark to beat. When I had it, I recorded a tape (on my NAK DR3) of the Jhoota Hi Sahi LP, for playing in my car. Compared that tape to recordings made from CD source using my Marantz CD63SE, the Jhoota Hi Sahi recording sounded way better than those made from original imported CDs. Anyways, I'm also on the CNC bandwagon and looking forward to constructing it. If it sounds better, I'll switch my allegiance from NAD to CNC :)

Hi Reubensm,
I did not want to hurt your feelings.This NAD is already proven,and among the best of preamps.CNC sounds really different,some AKers have compared this inexpensive phono with many expensive one and found this to be better.Build it to believe it :).

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
Hi Reubensm,
I did not want to hurt your feelings.This NAD is already proven,and among the best of preamps.CNC sounds really different,some AKers have compared this inexpensive phono with many expensive one and found this to be better.Build it to believe it :).

Regards,
Sachin

hey, no worries...its just that NAD's kind of in the blood stream :)

Cant wait to build the CNC, especially since my C320 does not have a phono stage.

hey, no worries...its just that NAD's kind of in the blood stream :)
I know how you passionate you are about NAD. Your feedback on the NAD 216 THX really helped reassure me (though I had already purchased it purely for the way it authoritatively handled my B&W DM3000s).

I too am commencing my CNC build this week. Will post a honest comparison between the NAD 1020A's phonostage and the CNC phonostage.

Last edited:
Hi Santhosh,

It's rare to find something so old in box packing. I have used this TT sometime in the past. It's a solid deck . I am sure the full range speakers are going to be sounding very analogue . Let me wish you a very good listening pleasure with these vintage stuff. I tell you, nothing to beat the Japanese who made it possible for us to listen to quality music at affordable prices.

Regds
Kuruvilajacob

I know how you passionate you are about NAD. Your feedback on the NAD 216 THX really helped reassure me (though I had already purchased it purely for the way it authoritatively handled by B&W DM3000s).

I too am commencing my CNC build this week. Will post a honest comparison between the NAD 1020A's phonostage and the CNC phonostage.

So much talk about this CNC phono preamp, i'll be very curious to know how it compares to NAD, Sansui and other equipment. Will await your post Santhosh.

Dear kuruvilajacob: Yes, it is very rare to get one with packing. This one was actually purchased new, first hand and well maintained.

Dear Santhosh, how about writing a review when you've got the CNC up and running. Based on what I have understood from feedback, I'm almost certain now that it will outshine the NAD. Personally I'd love to have a DIY piece on my rack. I just love the C320 after listening to it and dont think i'd be able to spare my NAD 106, just as a phono preamp for the C320.

I know how you passionate you are about NAD. Your feedback on the NAD 216 THX really helped reassure me (though I had already purchased it purely for the way it authoritatively handled my B&W DM3000s).

Also, I should mention that the NAD 1020A and 216thx make a pretty good combination.

Exactly one month after I found this TT, it is now fully functional and singing. I received the belt from Hiten today (we ordered together as he needed the same size belt for his Pioneer PL-12). I fitted the new belt and inspite of aligning the cart using the protractor from Vinyl Engine, I was getting sound only in one channel. After trying out few other things, this was fixed by removing the headshell and cleaning the four contacts. It is sounding very nice and turning out to be a fantastic TT and the cart with the JICO stylus is souding so sweet...so much so that I am tempted to go in for the Super Analogue Stylus from JICO ....at a later point.

Santhoshbhai, there is no great delight than seeing (rather hearing) classic audio equipment singing again.
Another revelation to me about TT belts was... my old belt was longer and little thicker than this current belt and strangely I hardly feel vibrations on TT platter or the TT body. So belt material must be very important. So guys if you have vintage equipments first aim for basic things like this for good SQ.
Regards

Congrats Santhosh. Next time you need belts, go to local electronic shop and get a packet of assorted belts of all sizes and shapes. From a material stand point, there is very little difference from what you buy on eBay and here. Original NOS stock does not mean much for these rubber items. Newer the better.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back