Vidiyum vari kathiru
Naan vazha vaippen
Payanangal Mudivathillai
Sankarabaram
Madurai Meeta Sundarapandiyan
Moodupani
An evening in paris

Last edited:
World's second Tiniest playable vinyl record( 5") i got . First one is a 2" one(uploaded the Pic in an earlier post)

Note: Tiny Records may not play on "Automatic" Turntables
Squeeze ? If I Didn't Love You
Label: A&M Records ? 1616-S, A&M Records ? AM-1616
Format: Vinyl, 5", Single, 33 ? RPM, Tiny Collectors Edition
Released: 1980
Genre: Rock

there are many tiny records released for children too,to be played in mini players.... I have two such records too.

Last edited:
Rare find ....78 RPM--- POEMS by Sarojini Naidu
Title Sarojini Naidu SrNo.A12090/LBE 51
Label Columbia,England

Side 1
"Palanquin Bearers"
"The Lonely Child"
"The Song Of Sleep" Cradle Song from Hindustan
Side 2
"Lialy" (Nightfall In India)
"Awake" [Invocation to India]

rare odd sized 8" 78 RPM BROADAST LABEL records released between 1926 and 1929:
"the return of the lost policeman" + Sandy Powell MBE part 1,2,3,4
"rock and roll baby"-harry wulson
'the nightingales"-harry wulson

mughal e azam + bade gulam ali

a 1917, 12 inch single sided 78 rpm record by Amelita Galli-Curci =soprano

Recording Angel logo by the Gramophone Company on the back of a single sided record.

I too started collecting LPs! I currently have about 500 LPs, out of them, 250 Ilayaraja's!

Every LP sounds so delightful when compared to the same in digital versions!
It is enough for life long peace of mind!

Some of the pictures!
930a2fcadbbde28f18e065293f6f6cfd.jpg
7207c9c54e6f6a7b40bc179bf0ad2f90.jpg
446a6370d850290a746b8beb690c6896.jpg

I too started collecting LPs! I currently have about 500 LPs, out of them, 250 Ilayaraja's!

Every LP sounds so delightful when compared to the same in digital versions!
It is enough for life long peace of mind!

Ganesh,
Welcome to the family.
Please share Pictures / information regarding RARE records you may have, if any.

You are lucky Anil, I have been looking for sarojini Naidu records for a long time and have broadcast 8" 78 rpm record , thanks for the information it was pressed in 1920s.
Regards
Srinivasan

Rare find ....78 RPM--- POEMS by Sarojini Naidu
Title Sarojini Naidu SrNo.A12090/LBE 51
Label Columbia,England

Side 1
"Palanquin Bearers"
"The Lonely Child"
"The Song Of Sleep" Cradle Song from Hindustan
Side 2
"Lialy" (Nightfall In India)
"Awake" [Invocation to India]

rare odd sized 8" 78 RPM BROADAST LABEL records released between 1926 and 1929:
"the return of the lost policeman" + Sandy Powell MBE part 1,2,3,4
"rock and roll baby"-harry wulson
'the nightingales"-harry wulson

mughal e azam + bade gulam ali

a 1917, 12 inch single sided 78 rpm record by Amelita Galli-Curci =soprano

Recording Angel logo by the Gramophone Company on the back of a single sided record.

This week found some time to collect a few,

Not very often you could spot few many Rare Records and god saved some for me, this week. ofcourse it made a dig on my pocket.But no worries..

A good collection of Shri Rabindranath Tagore's plays, that too, 3 78RPM albums with fresh records, a 12" 78 rpm of an Indian artist, Ghazal disc by Peara Saheb (secord Indian to record after Gaur Khan at the HMV Dum dum plant),few Ep records of Illayaraja,which I was looking for years....etc.

For the first time in may years of collecting records, I could get a 12" 78 RPM of an Indian artist. So far collected were mostly symphonic work and audio books of shakspere,keats, kelly etc...

Arist: Great G.N. Balasubramaniyam(may be his first recording as 12" 78 RPM were stopped in early 20s.)
Serial#.HT123 and HT125

2. 10" 78 RPM albums of Tagore ( 3 Albums , 16 discs in mint condition)

1. Shyama - An Opera By Tagore, Tagore Centenary 1961. P11941-P11946 (6 discs)
Artwork Paritosh Sen
Directed By Santosh Sen Gupta
Liner Notes Birendra Banerji
Vocals Alpana Roy, Banani Ghosh, Chimnoy Chatterji, Hemant Mukherji*, Kanika Banerji*, Purabi Mukerji, Santosh Sen Gupta, Sumitra Sen, Tarun Banerji*

2. kal mrigaya - An Opera By Tagore, Tagore Centenary 1961. P11952-P11955 (4 discs)

3. Cannot read the title, as it is bengali(some one pl help) - An Opera By Tagore, Tagore Centenary 1961. P11958-P11963 (6 discs)

3.Palladam Sanjeeva Rao - English Note-78 rpm (Made in England). May be one of the first recorded try of an Indian classical musician to try a western note using Flue and Mridhangam.

4. Very rare: "Gazal" by Peara Saheb (early Indian music) Year 1912 ( second artist to get a press at Gramophone Company pressing plant in Calcutta after Gaur Khan)
Song :Jum Bars Bars Ker Dukh Ham Ko Na D

5. 1964 Ishaara - Kalyanji Anandji [2 discs]

6. Haridas (1944 ) - Manmadha Leelayai Vendrar Undo.... T.Bagavathar.

7. few ep records of Illayaraaja

Last edited:
This week found some time to collect a few,

Arist: Great G.N. Balasubramaniyam(may be his first recording as 12" 78 RPM were stopped in early 20s.)

Nice find Anil.

3 years ago, I stumbled upon a similar kind of 78 RPM Tagore collections , in Calcutta. But I gave it a pass, as the asking price was Rs.200 .

Btw, Im not sure if I'm right, in dating the records..

What I observed in my collection is; In the records of 30-40's era of the Indian pressing , the fonts on the disc were printed with an elongated hand-script style (not the type set one).

Nice find Anil.

3 years ago, I stumbled upon a similar kind of 78 RPM Tagore collections , in Calcutta. But I gave it a pass, as the asking price was Rs.200 .

Btw, Im not sure if I'm right, in dating the records..

What I observed in my collection is; In the records of 30-40's era of the Indian pressing , the fonts on the disc were printed with an elongated hand-script style (not the type set one).

Simon,
Thanks. Your observation is correct to some extent.I have even observed the hand-script style font in many10" 78 RPM labels. But it was not a standard they followed, as I have seen HMV 78 RPM discs with different font styles between 1901 and 1960.

Now, what puzzles me is the size of this GNB disc. This one being a 12" 78 RPM, it might not be 1930+ pressing.
Someday I could find the exact year of the press. Someone may help.
Let me also check the position, Font type and quality of text "TRADE MARK REGD" around spindle hole leads me anywhere....
-Anil.

Last edited:
hi anil

True some 12" pressings were done till 1954 to 55 because Meera and few hindi films were pressed. But had no commercial release much but done for mastering to LP records. I have few white Label Meera and few 12" records of 78 rpm with factory date numbering. members post the highlights

hi anil

True some 12" pressings were done till 1954 to 55 because Meera and few hindi films were pressed. But had no commercial release much but done for mastering to LP records. I have few white Label Meera and few 12" records of 78 rpm with factory date numbering. members post the highlights

Lucky u Srini, that you have white labels of meera. In some white labeled records, we may get to hear something additional than the released version.
I have few white labels of TMS and Sulamangalam sisters.
Of that one is a single sided (burmese record label) 78 rpm record with TMS song recorded.May be a test pressing by HMV.

Last edited:
ONE SIDED FIRST PRESS/TEST PRESS White label- 78 RPM: SOOLAMANGALAM SISTERS , MADE IN 1952. (serial no of Master is also hand written).

Song: "Senthur Murugaiyyaan" ( searched a lot,no traces of this song in the albums/records officially released).

Soolamangalam Sisters started singing in 1948 (in movies) and only later they started as composers, that means, can this be one of their first attempt to record as composers and singers...
The eldest of the duo is living in Besant nagar..Good if I get a chance to make her listen to this one and another white label press I have.

back side of the record : blank.

Yes Anil plz do that.Smt Radha Jayalakshmi duo and Soolamangalam sisters need more recognition for their contribution to Tamil film songs, devotional albums, Carnatic renderings.

Hi friends
Planning to visit Madurai, Tamil nadu in May. Can anybody suggest places where can I get LP records
Anil

dranil you can try contacting these numbers 9047079179, Iyyankanu kadayanallur 9487173485. Quality no idea.
Regards
Srinivasan

Hi friends
Planning to visit Madurai, Tamil nadu in May. Can anybody suggest places where can I get LP records
Anil

You may have a visit to "Thilagar Thidal" where three people (shops) sell vinyl LPs. My last visit to there was in Dec - 2013 and not found much good titles and not sure about today. But many good records/titles I collected from this place in various occasions.

Back