raspberry pi 2 as media player

Let us know what OS you are using Win7 or 8 or some other. Based on that we can suggest. If using Win7 or 8 then by default you get the file sharing option under the "Workgroup" which you can see when you open the Windows Explorer. Once you create a workgroup then go to the network settings and enable file sharing preferably with the password or within the network. This makes your files on the PC visible on the network which the Pi also would be part of and you can stream them after mapping on your Pi under Samba or some other file sharing protocol.

yeah :yahoo:. I followed the same. Now, i can stream files from computer. :yahoo:.Big thanks for detailed instructions.

Now next problem. I cant "set content" for the network files (set folder as movies, music videos...) . Can that be done, so that it can be added to library?

yeah :yahoo:. I followed the same. Now, i can stream files from computer. :yahoo:.Big thanks for detailed instructions.

Now next problem. I cant "set content" for the network files (set folder as movies, music videos...) . Can that be done, so that it can be added to library?

Yes once you add the source the next step is to specify what kind of files are being added. And this is done in the same way during the source mapping after you press "OK". You can choose Movies/TV Shows/Music etc., and based on the selection the pre-installed/enabled database will automatically scan and show the fanart. The source of the files can be either local (within the Pi) or an external HDD connected over USB or over the network (LAN), the XBMC while scanning does not differentiate and looks only for the source.

I'm not getting that. may be doing something wrong. These are the steps i followed:

Added the source. ( early on videos, also on file manager.)
http://1drv.ms/1FgnKCc
UPnP selected
http://1drv.ms/1dxOlnv
my computer is shown with shared files.
http://1drv.ms/1HwfXRh

But after restart, the source is not accessible. Again i have to add it manually.

When i selected Samba, " lock preferences for smb" is displayed.
http://1drv.ms/1dxOION

Please guide me to add files to library.
regards
girish:)

Not sure about your first errors but for the last one you need to give the user/password of your "Admin-PC". Once you give it should be sufficient and next time it will automatically connect and stream the movies. I think the Samba share should work without any issues. If you "Admin-PC" does not have a user ID/password then I would suggest that you create one on that PC and then do the Samba source mapping.

Pc is password protected. I gave that, but again that popped up.
I input homegroup password also. But no progress.

update. username was in capital. When entered correctly, i was able to add files and set content. A big thanks.

Now next.
When connected to Acer h5380, HDMI CEC not there. So using wireless mouse, but not satisfying as Logitech harmony for tv.

I have some TSOP 1738, 1838 IR receivers with me. Is it possible to use universal remote with this? Then How?

https://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-ir-remote-with-a-raspberry-pi-media-center/hardware

I'm aware of FLIRC.
NOTE: I'm not a computer guy. so SSH, putty... ????

Experienced FMs suggestions please.

I bought 4 port belkin powered usb hub from ebay. Got it yesterday. The power adapter is not working. It was dead on arrival. There is no logo of belkin on adapter. Informed the seller and the reply was "contact manufacturer, he will do the needful." Claimed replacement with ebay.

Also, informed belkin. Their customer support is good. They asked the photos of the product to check whether its a fake one.

I'm bit disappointed this time with online purchase.

update. Bought one more pi :).
Modified the case.

1) Now using sony 2.1A adapter to power pi, and belkin 4 port powered hub to connect usb devices(1TB, wifi usb).

2) Installed kore (android app) on mobile to control kodi.
(so skipped TSOP , LIRC)

3) Started to use putty, tightvnc.

Now to know the suggestions on the following:
1) I want to remove either adapter or hub.( feels removing 2.1 adapter is easy)
When used belkin hub to power pi, it lacks power.
Anybody here using powered hub to power pi and connect external hard disks?
Then which model?

OR If used > 2.1A adapter, then can i connect external hard disks to pi itself ?

2) I connected pi to wifi router via cable when running raspbian. When running putty, IP address changes on reboot. For eg, -.-.-.3, -.-.-.7, etc
What may be the reason?

2) Installed kore (android app) on mobile to control kodi.

Use "Yatse" the best XBMC/Kodi remote available, and believe me I have used all.

2) I connected pi to wifi router via cable when running raspbian. When running putty, IP address changes on reboot. For eg, -.-.-.3, -.-.-.7, etc
What may be the reason?

Either use static ip for rpi or use DHCP reservation on router to reserve the ip for rpi device so that it does not change on re boots.

Use "Yatse" the best XBMC/Kodi remote available, and believe me I have used all.

kore serves me well when it is connected to projector. Early i used wireless mouse and keyboard, but it was not satisfying. Will try Yatse.

Either use static ip for rpi or use DHCP reservation on router to reserve the ip for rpi device so that it does not change on re boots.

Will you please elaborate. I'm using dlink modem and netgear router

Its not just about serving well, in that case the official XBMC remote also serves well, but hardly anyone uses it. Its the look and feel, features and stability that counts, ofcourse assuming it work-ability is intact. Anyway give it a try, you can always go back to what ever you were using.

About the router, whats your router model number. I will see if I can find pictures that might guide you where you can do DHCP reservation for your model

Its not just about serving well, in that case the official XBMC remote also serves well, but hardly anyone uses it. Its the look and feel, features and stability that counts, ofcourse assuming it work-ability is intact. Anyway give it a try, you can always go back to what ever you were using.

About the router, whats your router model number. I will see if I can find pictures that might guide you where you can do DHCP reservation for your model

Sorry. didn't meant that it is the best. I didn't used any other.

Its netgear wireless G Router WGR614 v9

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back