raspberry pi 2 as media player

Will you please elaborate. I'm using dlink modem and netgear router

Its netgear wireless G Router WGR614 v9

Log in to your router with ip 192.168.1.1 (if this does not work try 192.168.0.1)
Default user id and pass for your model is admin and password. Once in
go to "LAN IP SETTINGS" from the left bar menue. You should see address reservation there. Click add and put your Rpi ip and MAC address. (you can copy its MAC address from the Attached Devices menu ) save it and close.
Refer THIS article for details.

16bfzo0.jpg

Log in to your router with ip 192.168.1.1 (if this does not work try 192.168.0.1)
Default user id and pass for your model is admin and password. Once in
go to "LAN IP SETTINGS" from the left bar menue. You should see address reservation there. Click add and put your Rpi ip and MAC address. (you can copy its MAC address from the Attached Devices menu ) save it and close.
Refer THIS article for details.

I'm trying it now. Lets see how it works. Will update later.

Any ideas on usb hub (question no:1) . ( All in one)

^^ Well I never used any HUB with rpi, never felt the need to. Coz I just need keyboard and mouse for initial configuration, after that it runs all headless and all controlling what ever it is, is done via browser of my laptop connected to the same LAN.

But I am sure someone from Hifi will respond as I have seen lots of people using powered USB hub successfully.

^^ Well I never used any HUB with rpi, never felt the need to. Coz I just need keyboard and mouse for initial configuration, after that it runs all headless and all controlling what ever it is, is done via browser of my laptop connected to the same LAN.

But I am sure someone from Hifi will respond as I have seen lots of people using powered USB hub successfully.

Bought one more sony 2.1A adaptor. So question 1 is partially solved (though cannot connect external hard disks).
Later (next year:)) i may go for NAS.

Mine too running deluge headless(with out monitor) controlled via tightvnc.

Last edited:
It would be nice to add what is your impression on RsPi as HTPC. After all this is av forum and i see that the experience by owner is totally missing in the discussion.

How does it cope up with 7.1ch lossless audio or atleast plain 7.1ch? What about 3D and PQ?

Any other limitations?

Can anyone vouch for RsPi against WD TV media player (4th gen, 2014 model)?

How is RsPi2 MODB compared to RsPi2 model B+ if someone ever compared?

Eagerly waiting for all my queries answered...not just by owner but even by anyone out there. Elaborated answers avoids duplicate posts :lol: Thank you.

Added the Sony adapter- external hard discs work like a charm now. Also you can use the hdmi link function on your tv or projector or AVR. I use my projector remote now to control the pi as well as the AVR and the pj. As far as PQ is concerned not much difference between my Panasonic BDT 220 vs the pi except that the picture is a bit warmer on the pana. DTs etc is just pass through so no limitations there. 3d is no issues coz the conversion is done by my PJ

Raspberry Pi 2 -Broadcom BCM2836 ARMv7 Quad Core SBC @ 900 MHZ-----1GB RAM----MicroSD------4x USB Ports-------power 1.8A @ 5V

Raspberry Pi Model B+ ---Broadcom BCM2835 ARMv6 SoC-----512 MB RAM----MicroSD------4x USB Ports-------power 1.8A @ 5V

For power supply check this site I Bought from here reliable "
http://in.rsdelivers.com/product/raspberry-pi/t5454dv/5v-dc-1-output-erp-compliant-plug-in-power-supply-2a-10w-australia-china-european-plug-uk-us-japan/8226373.aspx"

For keyboard and mouse,I bought

iPazzPort Raspberry pi Mini Wireless Handheld Remote Control Keyboard with Multi-Touch Touchpad* -----check amazon.in

For connecting external disk you have to use separate USB hub or external hard disk with power supply(you cannot use USB powered external harddisk)

Seems like RsPi is not very cheap as widely believed! RsPi+case+power adapter+micro Sd+Wifi dongle + powered USB hub+Keyboard & mouse cost no less than 7.5K. So it costs as much as WD TV! They are competing neck to neck!

Now WD TV or RsPi?

So 3D is not taken care on Rspi (or might be done by some software!) but by Pj or TV and even 7.1ch lossless audio is passed through to AVR right?

If so,may i dare to say it is the superman for files played from usb drives?

By the way what version of hdmi is in RsPi2 MODB? 1.4a?

Last edited:
It would be nice to add what is your impression on RsPi as HTPC. After all this is av forum and i see that the experience by owner is totally missing in the discussion.

How does it cope up with 7.1ch lossless audio or atleast plain 7.1ch? What about 3D and PQ?

Any other limitations?

Can anyone vouch for RsPi against WD TV media player (4th gen, 2014 model)?

How is RsPi2 MODB compared to RsPi2 model B+ if someone ever compared?

Eagerly waiting for all my queries answered...not just by owner but even by anyone out there. Elaborated answers avoids duplicate posts :lol: Thank you.
Hello Boss,

This is my 1st media player. So cannot compare with others. Was watching movies on Tv via usb. But after the entry of projector, things changed- I used desktop to connect to PJ via VGA. I was about to buy kdlinks, but after the suggestions of FMs here, i brought Rpi2 and installed openelec. It was simple. I didn't thought that would be so simple. I'm not a computer guy.And after that i'm loving kodi.(early i tried kodi on desktop, but didn't liked much).
3D is smooth and PQ is better than desktop O/P (HDMI VS VGA).
After all PJ is 720p only.
I'm using 3.5 mm stereo out for audio.

Added the Sony adapter- external hard discs work like a charm now. Also you can use the hdmi link function on your tv or projector or AVR. I use my projector remote now to control the pi as well as the AVR and the pj. As far as PQ is concerned not much difference between my Panasonic BDT 220 vs the pi except that the picture is a bit warmer on the pana. DTs etc is just pass through so no limitations there. 3d is no issues coz the conversion is done by my PJ

Sony adapter didn't work for me. Me using belkin 4 port powered hub for WD 1tb ultra. Which external hard disk you were using?
can't find Hdmi link on my acer PJ. Yours is epson PJ, rite?
Now i'm using yatse on mobile.

Seems like RsPi is not very cheap as widely believed! RsPi+case+power adapter+micro Sd+Wifi dongle + powered USB hub+Keyboard & mouse cost no less than 7.5K. So it costs as much as WD TV! They are competing neck to neck!

Now WD TV or RsPi?

So 3D is not taken care on Rspi but by Pj or TV and even 7.1ch lossless audio is passed through to AVR right?

By the way what version of hdmi is in RsPi2 MODB? 1.4a?

I got pi2 + class10 16gb micro sd + wifi dongle + power adapter + usb hub @ 5000/-
Not that cheap. But not expensive.Please rule out the case. You can make it by yourself.

You can use tv remote if your tv supports hdmi CEC. or use android app. I tried kore and yatse.

With pi you can try other projects. I'm going to try volumio next week.
http://www.hifivision.com/computer-audio/58618-built-audio-streamer-using-raspberry-pi-2-a.html

Last edited:
Hello Boss,

This is my 1st media player. So cannot compare with others. Was watching movies on Tv via usb. But after the entry of projector, things changed- I used desktop to connect to PJ via VGA. I was about to buy kdlinks, but after the suggestions of FMs here, i brought Rpi2 and installed openelec. It was simple. I didn't thought that would be so simple. I'm not a computer guy.And after that i'm loving kodi.(early i tried kodi on desktop, but didn't liked much).
3D is smooth and PQ is better than desktop O/P (HDMI VS VGA).
After all PJ is 720p only.
I'm using 3.5 mm stereo out for audio.

Every word exactly is the same case with me, just that Iam few steps behind you and my Pj is 1080p. I meant every word...kdlinks, shifting from TV to Pj, playing from desktop through vga, audio to 3.5mm jack, going for 1st media player.

Every word exactly is the same case with me, just that Iam few steps behind you and my Pj is 1080p. I meant every word...kdlinks, shifting from TV to Pj, playing from desktop through vga, audio to 3.5mm jack, going for 1st media player.

I too had confusion when deciding media player. Have a look at the following
http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/57636-minix-neo-kdlinks.html?

I'm kinda diy guy. so partiality towards pi. Think yourself and buy. Other FMs will be helping you. Feel free to ask questions.

Sony adapter didn't work for me. Me using belkin 4 port powered hub for WD 1tb ultra. Which external hard disk you were using?
can't find Hdmi link on my acer PJ. Yours is epson PJ, rite?
Now i'm using yatse on mobile.

Sony microUSB power adapter (2.1A 5V) didn't work for me too even when external hdd was not in the loop :sad:. Is Raspi2 MODB more power hungry than 1.8A as claimed? My Raspi2 comes to life only when connected to powered usb hub :indifferent14:. Can anyone suggest how to use the power adapter with quad core Raspi2?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back