raspberry pi 2 as media player

I used a samsung 2 amp 5 volt wall wart and it powered the raspberry pie 2 perfectly with wireless wifi adaptor connected

But it could not detect my 1 tb adata portable hdd

I used a samsung 2 amp 5 volt wall wart and it powered the raspberry pie 2 perfectly with wireless wifi adaptor connected

But it could not detect my 1 tb adata portable hdd

Is it Raspberry Pi2 model B(quad core) or B+ (single core)?

Sony microUSB power adapter (2.1A 5V) didn't work for me too even when external hdd was not in the loop :sad:. Is Raspi2 MODB more power hungry than 1.8A as claimed? My Raspi2 comes to life only when connected to powered usb hub :indifferent14:. Can anyone suggest how to use the power adapter with quad core Raspi2?

I meant Sony adapter didn't powered the external hdd. Adapter worked flawlessly with usb wifi, keyboard mouse usb,
I think pi2 needed more than 2.1A to work with hdds. I asked this earlier. But didn't got answer

Best option would be to connect a powered usb hub to the usb of rpi and connect the hdd to the powered hub

External hdd will not work with pi2 without powered usb hub.. Suggest one if you end up buying for yourself.. For now i ended up using plexbmc for my pi2

I have a belkin 4 usb powered hub which i most probably will be using with rpi 2 or will buy a powered external hdd

Me too using Belkin 4 port powered hub. WD 1tb is working fine. Next week I will get wd 2tb. Will check and report.

1 thing I observed is pi can't be (properly)powered using hub. Low voltage sign is showing in kodi. So using Sony adapter to power it up n hub for hdds

Last edited:
A wall wart which is used to charged mobile phones, tablets, etc. has no power filtration and regulation

A linear power supply reduce the magnitude of ripple and noise present appearing on the output voltage. Thus the power is clean

Some may argue that this won't be necessary with a device like Rpi as it consumes very little power, but I want to try it once assuming cleaner power will result in better sound with added benefit of protecting my Rpi from usual electricity related issues

Belkin : 4-Port Utra-Slim Desktop Hub

Amazon.in: Buying Choices: Belkin F4U040SA USB 4-Port Powered Desktop Hub

Belkin USB 4 Port Powered Desktop HUB F4U040SA VAT Bill 3 Years Warranty | eBay

I brought from ebay. applied coupons. got it for less than 1000 bucks.

Also insist on bill. First one i bought was defective (power adapter was faulty, sealed pack). Got the replacement as cash from belkin.

Use the same Belkin powered USB hub and its working flawlessly since 3 years now

@gcr could you provide a link to the belkin hub you are using ?

Appys...belkin model we are discussing is a USB 2.0 hub. I bought transcend for the only reason that it's a USB 3.0 hub which costed around Rs.1700 online. All the future external hdds will be atleast USB 3.0! So what will we do with a USB 2.0 hub. Perhaps we may save Rs.1k on all the accessories by settling for a older versions! Choose the best one from each product options you intend to buy for raspberry....coz after an year or so you may move away from raspberry but all these accessories should be useful for many years to come!
Think this way...USB 3.0 hub, HDMI cable of ver.2.0, atleast 16Gb class10 card (though 8gb is suffice) etc etc. All the best.

Hi guys

I came across this thread on raspberry pi forums and it has some intersting piece of info

Here is the link

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=98664

The maximum current into the RPi is limited to 2A.
The maximum current to all of the USB ports combined is 1.2A so that leaves 0.8A for the RPi + anything connected to the GPIO's

You need to find the current draw specification of each USB device and add them up. If <= 1.2A then you should be OK as long as your power supply can deliver the power needed and still maintain the 5V +-5% voltage. If > 1.2A then you will have to use a powered HUB.

Note the default USB power output is 600mA. You must change a configuration setting to get the max 1.2A

So as mentioned you can't go wrong with a 2A supply. A smaller supply can be used for the server with no peripherals.
A larger than 2A supply can be used but has no added benefit.

I am not into a programming linux so not sure how to change configuration setting. But once thats done an external HDD can easily run by usb ports of rpi2. There will be no need of a powered USB hub

Appys...belkin model we are discussing is a USB 2.0 hub. I bought transcend for the only reason that it's a USB 3.0 hub which costed around Rs.1700 online. All the future external hdds will be atleast USB 3.0! So what will we do with a USB 2.0 hub. Perhaps we may save Rs.1k on all the accessories by settling for a older versions! Choose the best one from each product options you intend to buy for raspberry....coz after an year or so you may move away from raspberry but all these accessories should be useful for many years to come!
Think this way...USB 3.0 hub, HDMI cable of ver.2.0, atleast 16Gb class10 card (though 8gb is suffice) etc etc. All the best.

congrats.. wow you bought pi? cool.

Were you referring to HUB3-Card Readers & Accessories USB 3.0 Hub Supports Fast Charging for iPad
Its mentioned that it can "provide 2A output current for charging iPad"
That means that can be used to power the pi?
How you powering up the pi?

congrats.. wow you bought pi? cool.

Were you referring to HUB3-Card Readers & Accessories USB 3.0 Hub Supports Fast Charging for iPad
Its mentioned that it can "provide 2A output current for charging iPad"
That means that can be used to power the pi?
How you powering up the pi?

Yes i was referring to the same model of transcend. It's a gem of a product. Once you hold the package, you will know why it's soo premium priced...solid. Only thing i didn't like was the proprietory charger instead of a micro USB one :sad:. I don't understand what stops all the electronic manufacturers to use a standard universal chager...apple are you listening?
And regarding the purchase of Rspi, after troubling you a couple of times with my queries, I thought this is the best bet as a media player till western digital launches a better player. I don't fancy other media players much as they bearly have any presence in india...including extreamer.
Iam not a DIY guy like you. There is no proper case for Rspi in india :sad:. Totally disappointed with the black case with rasp engraving on it. At least I should have opted for original Rspi case but the colour combination did put me off. Thinking of procuring Flirc aluminium case (though I prefer all HT components in black from light reflection point of view and also can get everything easily in black and ofcourse easy maintenance :eek:hyeah:) from outside through cousins. Let's see...

Can someone please tell how to change aspect ratio in openelac based kodi just like we do it in vlc player? Iam unable to find that setting and is forced to watch in default aspect ratio. Only full screen option seem to be there!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back