raspberry pi 2 as media player

I too have noticed items listed (on Amazon.in as well as ebay) as Powered hubs but they do not have external adapter connection. Some of them say 'bus powered' - which probably means power sourced from the main USB connection. But these may not serve the purpose where you need extra power that is needed to drive 1Tb+ HDDs.

So better to check the details to make sure if they come with adapter connectivity or not (and avoid getting misled by the title).

This is a simple USB hub that uses power from your laptop/RP(that it is connected to) . This is as good as the 4 USB ports on your RP. You wont be able to power 1TB/2TB external drives. I'm currently using a Transcend 4-port powered USB hub which works perfectly with upto 2 TB dirves on RP2.

Transcend TS-HUB3K USB 3.0 4-port Hub

I just read that latest version of moode audio player has usb at double power then the default added to its configuration setting

For someone like me who does not how to tweak linux from the command line its a good option to get the external hdd running on rpi2

So did you already try and succeed in this..?
And p. S couldn't find any moode player for kodi.. Can you link the same?
Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have not tried it yet as i have given my rpi to my cousin to try it out

But since its there in the release notes of moode audio ver 2.3, i am sure it will work

Below is the site of moode audio

http://moodeaudio.org/

I am new to the rpi so not sure what kodi is

Oh most people use rpi to run kodi as it is a media center, i bought rpi just for this and it's awesome.. I guess nothing apart from using plex or else a posted hub will let me access my hdd as i am unwilling to get a nas going

Ok got it

Moode audio is something like kodi but tailor made only for audio playback

Yeah that is true, but then if you are using plexbmc you can transcode the videos and they will still play on it

I am not fully convinced that RPi2 can be a good media player ... it does not decode all formats .... also the Youtube playback us choppy .... better to look at something else if MEdia playback is the requirement .... at its price you can even get a Blu Ray player which plays all video format

I am not fully convinced that RPi2 can be a good media player ... it does not decode all formats .... also the Youtube playback us choppy .... better to look at something else if MEdia playback is the requirement .... at its price you can even get a Blu Ray player which plays all video format

I am not sure which formats did you try on the Pi that it did not playback and giving this statement. I think not all bluray players play all formats as good as Pi and I am sure that at its price you cannot get a decent bluray player. Did you try Openelec as I use it and it plays almost all video formats that I have thrown at it.

MPEG-2 and VC1 are not supported.

also facing issues with 5.1 audio output

At similar price you can get Sony S1200 which plays all formats ... even the new S1500

Asus OPlay Mini also plays every format

For only audio playback there is nothing i feel lacking on the software side

YouTube aint sloppy on the pi.. I don't see these issues with any video formats so far either.. It even played transcoded hevc videos for me.. I think a pi2 at sub 5k levels is way too vfm.. As far as mpeg2 goes i think they ask to buy a license for that, but i am yet to find a video that failed to play on the pi.. From the net or from the network server

Appys ... do you mind sharing your own youtube video where you are able to play 1080p Youtube video with RP ?

Also if you are able to to do 5.1 bitstream over HDMI ?

be Careful ... the RPi does not support all video codecs

MPEG-2 and VC1 are not supported.

also facing issues with 5.1 audio output

At similar price you can get Sony S1200 which plays all formats ... even the new S1500

Asus OPlay Mini also plays every format

Before generalising, please mention which codecs and formats are not playing..
What you using on rpi? kodi or..?

I'm using kodi on rpi2 recently. I'm using it to play movies and documentaries on hdd and also from computer over wifi. ( FMs here helped me to achieve that). I'm loving the feel of kodi on big screen :yahoo:.
It doesn't faced any difficulty in playing any formats.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/18571-sam9s-htpc-project-powered-xbmc.html
I followed the above. digging up old threads :)

Last edited:
Hi gcr
if you dont mind can you explain how to configure rpi to play files from other pcs in the network over wifi

I am not sure which formats did you try on the Pi that it did not playback and giving this statement. I think not all bluray players play all formats as good as Pi and I am sure that at its price you cannot get a decent bluray player. Did you try Openelec as I use it and it plays almost all video formats that I have thrown at it.

I second this.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back