raspberry pi 2 as media player

@druk Well I'm not sure if i have time to do that or the environment as i have relatives over , but i can tell you my config.. An rpi2 running osmc 16mbps airtel broadband, audio in passthrough and dd available on the avr even for some iptv channels, also enabled all settings for dd and dts decode capable avr with default op as 5.1 in kodi playback settings, try these and if it still don't work, i shall try to hook up a video once i have time for sure gladly

Last edited:
Hi gcr
if you dont mind can you explain how to configure rpi to play files from other pcs in the network over wifi

Please read from the beginning of this thread.( especially post #2, 18, 22, 24 & 26)
I started the thread for same.
Hope this helps. If any queries please shoot.

I am primarily using the pi2 as a home audio player.

Some of the dedicated audio images include Volumio/Rune/Moon Audio Player and more. There are ofcourse quite a few i2s DACs, popular amoung them the hifiberry.

My configuration includes ofcourse the rasberry pi 2, official case, belkin powered hub, a 1TB hard drive and Xonar U7 USB DAC/soundcard. Pi is wired to my router.
I have two distros, Kodi on Raspibian and JRiver on Raspibian.

For controlling JRiver on the network with my laptop, I have TightVNC running in the pi and VNC viewer in the PC.

Raspbian/Kodi is controlled through SSH Putty and the web interface addon in kodi (there are four flavours). Kodi can also be controlled through any android device with the official Kori app.

I in fact have no display connected to the pi.

Last edited:
I must confess I dont have the right credentials to even post here, but am pretty intrigued by an RPi 2.
I was having some unholy thoughts of a unit with 2 RPi2s in parallel (one for reading the media and another for straming out to a USB device) but not sure if player needs to have the ability able to balance the two units or does the OS do it by itself

I am primarily using the pi2 as a home audio player.

Some of the dedicated audio images include Volumio/Rune/Moon Audio Player and more. There are ofcourse quite a few i2s DACs, popular amoung them the hifiberry.

My configuration includes ofcourse the rasberry pi 2, official case, belkin powered hub, a 1TB hard drive and Xonar U7 USB DAC/soundcard. Pi is wired to my router.
I have two distros, Kodi on Raspibian and JRiver on Raspibian.

For controlling JRiver on the network with my laptop, I have TightVNC running in the pi and VNC viewer in the PC.

Raspbian/Kodi is controlled through SSH Putty and the web interface addon in kodi (there are four flavours). Kodi can also be controlled through any android device with the official Kori app.

I in fact have no display connected to the pi.

That's a lovely set-up there. Try yatse on android. I used kore but now shifted to yatse.

I must confess I dont have the right credentials to even post here, but am pretty intrigued by an RPi 2.
I was having some unholy thoughts of a unit with 2 RPi2s in parallel (one for reading the media and another for streaming out to a USB device) but not sure if player needs to have the ability able to balance the two units or does the OS do it by itself

experienced fms can think on this:)
Isn't it one is enough for this?

hmmm. we are doing here small small experiments on pi2. kodi/volumio/moode/deluge/...

Did some research ., apparently one pandaboard is better that 2rpis. The application will need to be rewritten with multi threading which is beyond my abilities :)

Did some research ., apparently one pandaboard is better that 2rpis. The application will need to be rewritten with multi threading which is beyond my abilities :)

Hi arjun
i feel if it can be done on pandaboard it also can be done on raspberry pi as essentialy they are similar devices

Read post no 17 in the following thread where there is a setting given by which mpd will have its own dedicated core on the cpu

Raspberry Pi add on DACs

I got my RPi2 today. Charger and micro SD on the way,

I want to use RP2 as MEdia player and also for torrent downloads and web browsing.
Does Kodi have web browser ? I know that Kodi has a torrent App.

Plz suggest how to simply get all 3 functionalities configured in RP2 i,e,
1. Torrent download
2. Web Browser
3. Media Playback

Cheers
druk

Hi arjun
i feel if it can be done on pandaboard it also can be done on raspberry pi as essentialy they are similar devices

Read post no 17 in the following thread where there is a setting given by which mpd will have its own dedicated core on the cpu

Raspberry Pi add on DACs

Thanks Rikhav, i already have a USB+DaC so primarily looking for a server to read from an external cloud
The Pandaboard is apparently a more powerful version of the R Pi 2

I want to use RP2 as MEdia player and also for torrent downloads and web browsing.

1. Torrent download
2. Web Browser
3. Media Playback

Cheers
druk

OpenELEC Mediacenter - Download
( select RPi2 Second-Generation quad core models (Model B 1024MB) )
You can use openelec for kodi for the media playback.
read post no #1.

didn't checked web browser in kodi.

Also, you can try osmc https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

For web browsing checkout a plugin called "Web Viewer" in Kodi

be Careful ... the RPi does not support all video codecs

I am not fully convinced that RPi2 can be a good media player ... it does not decode all formats .... also the Youtube playback us choppy .... better to look at something else if MEdia playback is the requirement .... at its price you can even get a Blu Ray player which plays all video format

MPEG-2 and VC1 are not supported.

also facing issues with 5.1 audio output

At similar price you can get Sony S1200 which plays all formats ... even the new S1500

Asus OPlay Mini also plays every format

Forgot to mention that Youtube Playback is real bad with RP

What this means :rolleyes: ????

1. Torrent download
2. Web Browser
3. Media Playback

Cheers
druk

Why limiting with three ?

@druk .......... you tube works flawlessly on Kodi ..... must be your broadband connection.

1. Torrent download
2. Web Browser
3. Media Playback

Cheers
druk
Wow so you were having so many issues with your pi even before you got the pi.. This is Heights bro :clapping:

My friend has it ... he has the 512 MB RAM version ... all those issues I mentioned ...I experienced it at his home ...

Did my own research and also feedback from you guyz ...
So .. I took the risk and want to try the 1 GB RAM version myself ...

Hopefully it will work as you guyz mentioned.

Cheers!!

My friend has it ... he has the 512 MB RAM version ... all those issues I mentioned ...I experienced it at his home ...

Did my own research and also feedback from you guyz ...
So .. I took the risk and want to try the 1 GB RAM version myself ...

Hopefully it will work as you guyz mentioned.

Cheers!!

What was even more surprising was that with so many issues you mentioned so confidently you still went ahead and bought the product ... :D

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back