raspberry pi 2 as media player

try win10 for pi2

win10 for pie 2 is not what you think it is ...... Its IoT Core - a slimmed-down version of the OS aimed at Internet of Things (IoT) devices. It's not Windows as most people understand it. A fresh install of Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi 2, will not boot to the familiar Windows desktop. It's primarily designed for developers and hardware hackers who want to prototype IoT appliances using the Pi.

Hi,

Is there anyway I can download videos using torrent without installing Raspbian and without controlling the Pi remotely. I mean whatever I do .. I do on the Pi using Openelec??

Druk

You are using the wrong, application to perform all wrong activities. yes openelec does support few of the things but is mainly meant as a standalone media player for movies and music and it does that job well. Its not an OS that you can perform all activities you want to.

To ans ur question you can install transmission in openelec to get torrent working within openelec

win10 for pie 2 is not what you think it is ...... Its IoT Core - a slimmed-down version of the OS aimed at Internet of Things (IoT) devices. It's not Windows as most people understand it. A fresh install of Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi 2, will not boot to the familiar Windows desktop. It's primarily designed for developers and hardware hackers who want to prototype IoT appliances using the Pi.

hmm maybe,i never tried it or will ever... a pi aint a computr ,so lets enjoy the media capabilities n be happy for a cheap htpc:clapping:

You are using the wrong, application to perform all wrong activities. yes openelec does support few of the things but is mainly meant as a standalone media player for movies and music and it does that job well. Its not an OS that you can perform all activities you want to.

To ans ur question you can install transmission in openelec to get torrent working within openelec

Absolutely!! I was avoiding to get into unix cmmands ... but finally made hands dirty ... installed raspbian and installed transmission ....I could connect remotely using Putty and also used browser to connect to transmission ... Next step is to configure the directory and start downloading one file....

I could finally make my dlink.dwa123 wifi.adapter work in moode
this was by trial and error
somehow it favors the wifi adapter having a static ip in the router settings
funny part is that in the moode network settings it still shows interface not present under wifi settings

with this came other set of issues with playback
the sound output is full of disturbance, similar to having weak reception in fm radio
not sure if its due to resampling being enabled to highest quality

also files play only for around 10 seconds and stop

guys need help in setting up comfast wifi with openELEC
I am not able to find ....where I have to make settings for wifi dongle
also will it need to install wifi driver in OpenELEC but how?

Okay I did get a Raspberry Pi2 and installed OSMC as well as OpenELEC in multiple cards. As lond as you use HDMI for display it is Okay BUT if someone wants to use Composite connection for Video, then God help you. Nothing can be done. I tried help from many sources and their advice regarding editing config.txt , directly accessing the settings from OSMC etc all to no avail:sad:

So if you want a media player which will be used for composite connection to TV forget about the Raspberry Pi, Hopeless stuff in this matter, better go ahead and purchase a media player.

I am sure some people may not like my comments, and they might disagree BUT is is a fact !!!

Move ON !!!

guys need help in setting up comfast wifi with openELEC
I am not able to find ....where I have to make settings for wifi dongle
also will it need to install wifi driver in OpenELEC but how?

most wifi dongle work out of box with openelec. No drivers to be installed. I'm using another wifi adapter.

^^ Comfast also works with Rpi out of the box.

Okay I did get a Raspberry Pi2 and installed OSMC as well as OpenELEC in multiple cards. As lond as you use HDMI for display it is Okay BUT if someone wants to use Composite connection for Video, then God help you. Nothing can be done. I tried help from many sources and their advice regarding editing config.txt , directly accessing the settings from OSMC etc all to no avail:sad:

So if you want a media player which will be used for composite connection to TV forget about the Raspberry Pi, Hopeless stuff in this matter, better go ahead and purchase a media player.

I am sure some people may not like my comments, and they might disagree BUT is is a fact !!!

Move ON !!!

Thats bad :sad:. Thought composite video should work as advertised by rpi. " Combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video ".

You commented because you tried it and tested. Others may like or dont like, thats their opinion

But these days, majority will be using hd displays. So hdmi port is more than sufficient.
In this point, now some may say Optoma HD141X is bad saying it has only hdmi inputs....:D

" If a thing is good, then what is wrong in admitting it? "
Also " one man's food is someone else's poison"

me still a newbie studying more :) .

Thats bad :sad:. Thought composite video should work as advertised by rpi. " Combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video ".

You commented because you tried it and tested. Others may like or dont like, thats their opinion

But these days, majority will be using hd displays. So hdmi port is more than sufficient.
In this point, now some may say Optoma HD141X is bad saying it has only hdmi inputs....:D

" If a thing is good, then what is wrong in admitting it? "

me still a newbie studying more :) .

Hi Noted your reply. I dont have any problem in admitting " If a thing is good, then what is wrong in admitting it? "
, but for the purpose I mentioned it is more than pain in the ass. You see I want it to be used as a audio player and then also I mentioned I want to keep the costs low. Since I already have a display, what is the point of going ahead to buy a new display with HDMI. Moreover 5" HDMI displays are prohibitively costly !!.
In the end I would end up spending much more than a media player with a very good DAC or a Blue Ray player with a good DAC.

I do however agree that the Rasp Pi2 if used as a media player for movies is hard to beat given its utility, form factor and costs:eek:hyeah:

Hope I have cleared myself and still insist that the Rasp Pi if intended to be used as a media player with Composite out is USELESS...:eek:hyeah:

Even I use RPi 2 with Openelec for the Bedroom TV and I would say for the price it works fine. But having 4 RPis at home all for different purposes, my take is that a RPi is excellant considering it as a cheap single board solution. However on finer note when you add the price of a SD Card, wifi adapter, case, HDMI cable, Power adapter and Remote control (IR ones, not controlling through mobile) it is more or less same as a standard / entry media player with similar / better performance.

In terms of performance, if you ate too much used to using a x86 / x64 HTPC with Kodi, Rpi with open elec based Kodi still has some minor lag in UI navigation although it is hardly noticeable.

In terms of performance, when it comes to adjusting frame rates like playing 24 fps materials to 25 / 50 / 60 that is where these devices run out of juice and you have to live with judder. So if these are not of your concern and you have spare SD cards, LAN cables, etc you are better with a RPi

You see I want it to be used as a audio player and then also I mentioned I want to keep the costs low.

Why would you use composite if you wanna use Rpi2 as an Audio Player? USB Audio out seems to be a much better option with a USB DAC if possible. Use something like Volumio or Moode of the OS ... works wonders ....

Yes as a media player to view video, HDMI is the best bet and if Rpi2 community says Composite Video works, it will, just because you were not able to make it work (No pun intended plz) does not mean the device is bad ...:)

Why would you use composite if you wanna use Rpi2 as an Audio Player? USB Audio out seems to be a much better option with a USB DAC if possible. Use something like Volumio or Moode of the OS ... works wonders ....

Yes as a media player to view video, HDMI is the best bet and if Rpi2 community says Composite Video works, it will, just because you were not able to make it work (No pun intended plz) does not mean the device is bad ...:)

Hi Sam,

Thanks fro the reply. You see I have about 200 GB of assorted songs in a HDD which is strewn about in 103 folders. Now If I use RspPi as headless, how do I navigate to the folders ?? say I want to see the folder list and then play songs from a particular folder how to do it ?? KODI KORE remote doesnot show folders !!!

I agree that I am hopeless with the Rasp Pi not being able to output Composite video, but my friend so has others. Why do you think RaspPi is not used as a Carputer if displaying composite out was no such issue.

Did you ever try outputting composite video even if it as a matter of interest ? if yes, I would be grateful if you could please let me know how to go about it.

Many thanks in advance

Lifewater

I'm using a Rpi2 and a 1TB HDD with about 500gigs of flacs. I use Rune Audio, controlling it via my phone using MPDroid.

Volumio also works seamlessly.

Hi Sam,

Thanks fro the reply. You see I have about 200 GB of assorted songs in a HDD which is strewn about in 103 folders. Now If I use RspPi as headless, how do I navigate to the folders ?? say I want to see the folder list and then play songs from a particular folder how to do it ?? KODI KORE remote doesnot show folders !!!

I agree that I am hopeless with the Rasp Pi not being able to output Composite video, but my friend so has others. Why do you think RaspPi is not used as a Carputer if displaying composite out was no such issue.

Did you ever try outputting composite video even if it as a matter of interest ? if yes, I would be grateful if you could please let me know how to go about it.

Many thanks in advance

Lifewater

Rune Audio, Volumio and Moode are complete Audio OS. Yes they are run headless does not mean you can not control them. All navigation is done via web or mobile. You point the OS to the location (NAS or attached HDD) and it starts to scan the songs and folders, first attempt takes time but once its done you can view the entire folder structure from web client or mobile...... I also have around 250GB of songs and have been using Moode to listen to them with ease.

No I have not used composite simply because there was no need as HDMI has become the de facto standard. That is the reason I said if Rpi community says it works I believe it will. (though I agree it might need tweaks n adjustments ... :))

Last edited:
I'm using a Rpi2 and a 1TB HDD with about 500gigs of flacs. I use Rune Audio, controlling it via my phone using MPDroid.

Thanks very much Shuv, I will download today and let you know.
Rune Audio, Volumio and Moode are complete Audio OS. Yes they are run headless does not mean you can not control them. All navigation is done via web or mobile. You point the OS to the location (NAS or attached HDD) and it starts to scan the songs and folders, first attempt takes time but once its done you can view the entire folder structure from web client or mobile...... I also have around 250GB of songs and have been using Moode to listen to them with ease.

No I have not used composite simply because there was no need as HDMI has become the de facto standard. That is the reason I said if Rpi community says it works I believe it will. (though I agree it might need tweaks n adjustments ... :))

Hi Sam, Good morning. Downloading the mentioned softwares. You see here in the Tea Gardens, Internet is a luxury and 3G non existant with its older brother Broadband:eek:hyeah:.

Will get back to you once downloaded and installed.

Thanks Brother.

Lifewater

Me too fan of Runeaudio, but from my personal experience the current 0.3 beta is feature rich but the previous 0.2 beta was better and stable. Sometime the 0.3 beta does not reload the playlist changes unless you restart the OS.

I am using the runeaudio web ui from mobile, works very well.

You see here in the Tea Gardens, Internet is a luxury and 3G non existant with its older brother Broadband:eek:hyeah:.

Just trying to close my eyes and trying to visualize, a cloudy tea garden with slow internet but lots of flacs and a nice wooden home with sound system. Just heaven :) and you keep complaining :(

Me too fan of Runeaudio, but from my personal experience the current 0.3 beta is feature rich but the previous 0.2 beta was better and stable. Sometime the 0.3 beta does not reload the playlist changes unless you restart the OS.

I am using the runeaudio web ui from mobile, works very well.

For me runeauduo sounded very clean but thin in the midrange

Where as moode audio had a proper natural sound comparing rune

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back