raspberry pi 2 as media player

gcr

I installed openelec on raspberry pi 2 and boot it up (i downloaded image file not the noobs) . wow. I didnt thought it was so simple to install. i used the usb port of the tv to power it up, added wireless usb adapter and wireless keyboard and mouse. wifi was selected out of the box.

1) When i connected 1 TB wd passport ultra, it didn't work. If i use 2.1A adapter, will it solve this? or do i need higher than 2A to work all these ( external hard drive, wifi usb, wireless keyboard and mouse) Or any other solutions.

2) how to stream files from my desktop ( connected to wireless router) to raspberry pi? Is it possible?

pics
http://1drv.ms/1KlgnzK
http://1drv.ms/1FplV8b

Last edited:
If you are going to use multiple USB devices I suggest get a good powered USB hub like the belkin or some other brands. Connect all the devices using this so that they will have enough power to run them without any hiccups. Coming to the streaming of files from desktop if you have a windows 7 or 8 I think default you get the workgroup which you can setup or else you can install any UPNP/DLNA based softwares which will show up in your Pi as a network links. You just need to give the path and the XBMC will automatically search and add the files to your view. If the TV is compatible with the HDMI CEC then you can use the TV remote to control the Pi which the Openelec has default settings for the same. Also when you power off the Pi the TV also gets automatically powered off.

I will suggest to get 2A adapter instead of using power from TV. I am using that and it detect hard disk with external power. Never tried portable HDD without external power but should work.

If you are going to use multiple USB devices I suggest get a good powered USB hub like the belkin or some other brands. Connect all the devices using this so that they will have enough power to run them without any hiccups.
Coming to the streaming of files from desktop if you have a windows 7 or 8 I think default you get the workgroup which you can setup or else you can install any UPNP/DLNA based softwares which will show up in your Pi as a network links. You just need to give the path and the XBMC will automatically search and add the files to your view.
If the TV is compatible with the HDMI CEC then you can use the TV remote to control the Pi which the Openelec has default settings for the same. Also when you power off the Pi the TV also gets automatically powered off.

Thanks manniraj for the extra infos

I use only 1 external hard drive at a time. so if 2A adapter works, it will be less hassle. I don't have 2A adapter with me now, only i have is 1A. I will be considering powered usb hub also.

I'm using windows 7 ultimate. Any links for " UPNP/DLNA based softwares " will be more useful.

I was about to ask regarding remote. Controlling kodi via mouse is bit difficult. After reading your post i checked tv settings.HDMI CEC is there ( renamed as bravia sync). After i enabled that controlling kodi feels easy.

But if i connect to Acer H5380, i think CEC is not there. I'll check it and will update.

cheers

Last edited:
I will suggest to get 2A adapter instead of using power from TV. I am using that and it detect hard disk with external power. Never tried portable HDD without external power but should work.

I didn't checked with hard disk with external power. will check.

Which adapter u using?

Any experiences with the following?
1) Sony CP-AD2 USB AC Adapter with 1.5m Cable
2) Philips Powerful Wall Charger 2USB 10.5W/2.1A
3) MX ( mx shop is nearby)
Which one should i choose? or any others?

cheers
girish:)

Which adapter u using?

cheers

I recommend the Sony adapter. I am using the same to charge my phones and a 1000mAh portable battery. The build quality is excellent. The USB cable is of good quality, but is a little thicker. I also have mx usb charger (maxcon) with two usb ports, but it takes more time to charge the portable battery. I think each port provides only 1A.

There's an article on computer audiophile.com on using the pi 2 as a media streamer using volumio. The article is under the network audio section. Please go through the same if it helps.

Which adapter u using?

cheers

I am also using Sony Adapter. got it for 620 Rs. on ebay. If you get some discount coupon then price will further decrease.

I recommend the Sony adapter. I am using the same to charge my phones and a 1000mAh portable battery. The build quality is excellent. The USB cable is of good quality, but is a little thicker. I also have mx usb charger (maxcon) with two usb ports, but it takes more time to charge the portable battery. I think each port provides only 1A.

yeah sony was in my mind.I remember, you mentioned early that you were using mx with Raspberry Pi. Also you commented about its quality. That is why i included in my list.
Can you guide me to use raspberry pi as download machine?

regards

Guys can you test kodi on it and let us know if streaming of plugins like ones from HushamMemar for Iptv work fine on the pi2

Guys can you test kodi on it and let us know if streaming of plugins like ones from HushamMemar for Iptv work fine on the pi2

@Appys,
kodi is working smoothly on RPi 2. Me just started to explore it.I'm waiting for 2A adapter. I added youtube only. More experienced FMs can answer your question.
regards

Not tried HushamMemar but I am using Phoenix, 1Channel, Stream All the source, Genisis add ons. All are good for movies and TV shows

yeah sony was in my mind.I remember, you mentioned early that you were using mx with Raspberry Pi. Also you commented about its quality. That is why i included in my list.
Can you guide me to use raspberry pi as download machine?

regards

MX charger is good, but not as good as the Sony. The build quality is not so great compared to Sony. The plastic shell broke into two pieces on falling from just 3 feet. I used superglue to stick them together. Also the power pins and the Indian pin adapter are not firm.

MX charger is good, but not as good as the Sony. The build quality is not so great compared to Sony. The plastic shell broke into two pieces on falling from just 3 feet. I used superglue to stick them together. Also the power pins and the Indian pin adapter are not firm.

I got sony charger today. fast shipping and delivery.
http://1drv.ms/1JQBjgW
Early i saw coloured square on top right screen. thought it was the emblem of openelec :rolleyes: . But on reading further, it was about weak power. After connecting new adaptor, its gone.
But, still 1Tb WD passport is not reading. So time to get powered usb hub as manniraj mentioned.

So i'm left with connecting pendrives to watch movies/songs till then.

regards

Coming to the streaming of files from desktop if you have a windows 7 or 8 I think default you get the workgroup which you can setup or else you can install any UPNP/DLNA based softwares which will show up in your Pi as a network links. You just need to give the path and the XBMC will automatically search and add the files to your view.

Can you please explain in elaborate ? (I'm not a computer guy)

One thing happened. When i enabled samba, pendrive on pi is shown on network location(ntfs).:yahoo:
I want the reverse. i.e, to see the computer files on pi.

My Question number 2 is not resolved.

Last edited:
Can you please explain in elaborate ? (I'm not a computer guy)

One thing happened. When i enabled samba, pendrive on pi is shown on network location(ntfs).:yahoo:
I want the reverse. i.e, to see the computer files on pi.

My Question number 2 is not resolved.

Let us know what OS you are using Win7 or 8 or some other. Based on that we can suggest. If using Win7 or 8 then by default you get the file sharing option under the "Workgroup" which you can see when you open the Windows Explorer. Once you create a workgroup then go to the network settings and enable file sharing preferably with the password or within the network. This makes your files on the PC visible on the network which the Pi also would be part of and you can stream them after mapping on your Pi under Samba or some other file sharing protocol.

I got sony charger today. fast shipping and delivery.
http://1drv.ms/1JQBjgW
Early i saw coloured square on top right screen. thought it was the emblem of openelec :rolleyes: . But on reading further, it was about weak power. After connecting new adaptor, its gone.
But, still 1Tb WD passport is not reading. So time to get powered usb hub as manniraj mentioned.

So i'm left with connecting pendrives to watch movies/songs till then.

regards

Please Try ipad charger( original) or a samsung note charger. These are pretty good. Else a powered USB hub as another FM suggested

Please Try ipad charger( original) or a samsung note charger. These are pretty good. Else a powered USB hub as another FM suggested

I don't have them.so,will have to look for powered usb hub.

Let us know what OS you are using Win7 or 8 or some other. Based on that we can suggest. If using Win7 or 8 then by default you get the file sharing option under the "Workgroup" which you can see when you open the Windows Explorer. Once you create a workgroup then go to the network settings and enable file sharing preferably with the password or within the network. This makes your files on the PC visible on the network which the Pi also would be part of and you can stream them after mapping on your Pi under Samba or some other file sharing protocol.

yup, sorry sir, me using win7 ultimate. I was super excited using kodi.

Watched shelock homes game of shadows yesterday on acer h5380.nice one. Now, I'm thinking, how i missed that film and Kodi these years.

regards
girish

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back