RCA to XLR

jls001

I need to connect the output of a B1 buffer to my power amp. The power amp has only balanced XLR inputs.

I found two methods for doing this:

This one is from a Rane's Note, and recommends that the shield from the source RCA be connected to both the Cold and Neutral of the destination XLR:

RZ2QiNi.png

The one below from another source recommends inserting a 100 Ohm between the source RCA shield and destination Cold lead, to make it pseudo-balanced (whatever that means):

4DbwNgy.png

Any experience/opinion/advice/warning? Thanks in advance.

Have used cables wired with the first method with a couple of power amps now without any issues. Had used one with the Jungson as well - worked well.

Last edited:
Update: I made the one with the 100 Ohms resistor and have played may be a total of two LP sides so far on the freshly minted B1. I get channel imbalance - right is much louder than left channel. I have re-checked the newly made cables and the beep plus resistance measurements seem to indicate that everything is fine with the cables.

I will swap the cables (L to R) and see if the loudness shifts to the left. If it does not, then I guess I will have to troubleshoot the B1 board.

I need to connect the output of a B1 buffer to my power amp. The power amp has only balanced XLR inputs.

I found two methods for doing this:

This one is from a Rane's Note, and recommends that the shield from the source RCA be connected to both the Cold and Neutral of the destination XLR:

RZ2QiNi.png

The one below from another source recommends inserting a 100 Ohm between the source RCA shield and destination Cold lead, to make it pseudo-balanced (whatever that means):

4DbwNgy.png

Any experience/opinion/advice/warning? Thanks in advance.

As per neutrik, NA2FP - Neutrik
Wired according to IEC 268-12:
Pin 2: signal
Pin 1 and 3: connected to ground
Since neutrik is a standard as a converter, i dont suppose you need the 100 Ohm

As per neutrik, NA2FP - Neutrik

Since neutrik is a standard as a converter, i dont suppose you need the 100 Ohm

I thought both should work but since the one with a resistor seemed a bit more intriguing ;) I decided to go with that.

Shorting 1 and 3 to return is recommended by Rane Notes (I will post the relevant link), an authority I trust a lot.

Further update: came home, swapped L and R of above made ICs and everything is playing perfectly. I don't know whether to crib (at the unpredictability) or to smile. I will let it play some more before making a pronouncement that all is ok. I'm at that stage of B1 burn-in where things turn rough and coarse. Hoping to wade through this into calm and limpid waters of smooth highs, tighter bass, sweet midrange and a lifting of that proverbial diaphanous veil to reveal ever more low level details. I guess the next part of the report should be in the B1 build thread.

I thought both should work but since the one with a resistor seemed a bit more intriguing ;) I decided to go with that.

Shorting 1 and 3 to return is recommended by Rane Notes (I will post the relevant link), an authority I trust a lot.

Further update: came home, swapped L and R of above made ICs and everything is playing perfectly. I don't know whether to crib (at the unpredictability) or to smile. I will let it play some more before making a pronouncement that all is ok. I'm at that stage of B1 burn-in where things turn rough and coarse. Hoping to wade through this into calm and limpid waters of smooth highs, tighter bass, sweet midrange and a lifting of that proverbial diaphanous veil to reveal ever more low level details. I guess the next part of the report should be in the B1 build thread.

I had the same experience with the B1 as I have told you personally
I am sure the sound will change for good in next 20 hours or so of useage

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back