Really confused about choosing DTH HD provider

lordvoldemort

Hello people,
As the topic suggest I am really confused about what HD provider should I subscribe to> I currently have Tatasky(normal one not HD) since last 4 years and it's performance is quite satisfying.But after buying an LED TV I now want to upgrade to some HD providers as PQ is not that good on LED TV.
I know only few channels are HD but still... So as per your experience please suggest me some good HD provider

Thnx

TataSky HD will be best for you. Read more in this forum.

Hello people,
As the topic suggest I am really confused about what HD provider should I subscribe to> I currently have Tatasky(normal one not HD) since last 4 years and it's performance is quite satisfying.But after buying an LED TV I now want to upgrade to some HD providers as PQ is not that good on LED TV.
I know only few channels are HD but still... So as per your experience please suggest me some good HD provider

Thnx

TataSky HD will be best for you. Read more in this forum.

you have dish tv hd , aren't you recommending that to him?

I am reading mix review of Tata sky HD when it comes to show the quality of SD!

Now as I read on forums, Reliance Big TV HD is almost neck to neck with Tata Sky HD in terms of number of HD channels and obviously in PQ.

Now as I read on forums, Reliance Big TV HD is almost neck to neck with Tata Sky HD in terms of number of HD channels and obviously in PQ.

Do not consider SUN-Direct HD at any cost. Looking at current allegations leveled against them no guarantee that their business will survive.

If you are looking to watch TV on the LED TV then you can go only one way that is with Tata Sky as per the current senario. It all depends on what you watch if sports is your priority then nothing beats Tata Sky for the no of event based programs in HD. Further the no of HD channels are also more on Tata sky like Eng. Movies, Hindi Movies, Hindi Entertainment, English Entertainment, Nat Geo and Discovery. I am not making any comparision with SD as I am of the opinion that only the local cablewalla provides the best picture without the compression artecrafts/washed out colours which seem to plague the DTH/IPTV operators.

Good catch. My signature was obsolete. Updated now. TataSky HD added and moved DishTV HD to unused.

TataSky HD is best in terms of SD and HD quality and number of HD channels.

is the sd quality of channels better than my current STB which is old one??

Yes. Your old STB is connected through composite video. New HD STB will upscale these to higher resolution while decoding them, so they will appear better.

On a related note, DishTV also upscales SD channels to a higher resolution and calls them HD :).

You should just upgrade to Tata sky HD. Used it through the world cup cricket and IPL. Superb experience. Tatasky Hd is also adding many more channels. Do not touch Sun HD. Took it and discarded it!

I have just got the Dish HD installed but only few of the channels are worth watching in HD.
I dont know y but SD content looks so average and washed out compared to say Nat Geo HD, TLC HD, Discovery HD, Times Movies. Do i need to tweak my PQ settings? or is something with dish STB.

I am currently running a trial package for Dish Tru HD package for 45 days.

^^
that is the sideeffect of buying HD box, once you see hd channels. then sd will be unwatchable. with TShd and 4 star channels, i have all the channels i need/ worth spending my time.only now need a hindi music channel and a news channel in hd

^^
that is the sideeffect of buying HD box, once you see hd channels. then sd will be unwatchable. with TShd and 4 star channels, i have all the channels i need/ worth spending my time.only now need a hindi music channel and a news channel in hd

Go for Active Music pack till we get HD music channel.. I am loving it at Rs.15 only :)

Amit - Please also consider audio quality of TS SD channels which is usually worse as we discussed.. Dish TV was much better in Audio and overall Video of SD channels on Dish TV are not so heavily compressed.. Lets not just consider the vivid pictures given by TS as they are heavily compressed and gets washed out in any complex scenes.. Hope you should agree that we should not discount these facts.

Talking for OP - I also agree that TS HD or better TS+HD will give you best HD experience particularly on Asli HD channels and that alone is a good USP for the product despite pathetic SD channels and pseudo 5.1 on some other HD channels. I am grateful that Star Sports HD has mono audio so TS is not doing that "trick" of roaming center/LR/surround sound with adaptive DRC which really tested my nerves in Star Cricket HD and later Max HD.

Amit - Please also consider audio quality of TS SD channels which is usually worse as we discussed.. Dish TV was much better in Audio and overall Video of SD channels on Dish TV are not so heavily compressed.. Lets not just consider the vivid pictures given by TS as they are heavily compressed and gets washed out in any complex scenes.. Hope you should agree that we should not discount these facts.

Yes. Your Audio point is well taken. We need a decent quality mic to record audio coming out of each channels. While side by side comparison will not be possible, we'll at least have some benchmark to compare them.

About compressed AV - I do know that TS uses highly compressed video for HD channels. It can be seen in the fewer color levels. Something like a face with a high contrast - lighted from one side and dark from the other, will appear to have several layers of color as opposed to an smooth color variation. Regarding audio, I don't watch SD movie channels any more, so don't know much about SD audio quality on TS. I only watch ET Now, CNBC TV18 and HD movie channels :).

On a related note - I had been evaluating my audio setup for last few weeks and have brought back my Pace 2020 amplifier into life as my pioneer AVR wasn't all that great for music. The upside is I have 5 identical speakers for my HT setup. So evaluating TS HD audio will be easier. I am also going to purchase a decent quality microphone as I am still not satisfied with my stereo setup. Unfortunately my DishTV connection may not be alive till then.

^^

Well said. Dish TV HD is offering Times Now and MTV in their version of HD :clapping:

Times Now HD and MTV HD seem to be upscaled versions on Dish HD. The only channel which are worth watching are Movies Now and the remaining TLC, Nat Geo, Discovery HD. Most of the channels on offer seem to be upscaled.

How is Reliance HD compared to TS HD?

Times Now HD and MTV HD seem to be upscaled versions on Dish HD. The only channel which are worth watching are Movies Now and the remaining TLC, Nat Geo, Discovery HD. Most of the channels on offer seem to be upscaled.

That's right. I was just being sarcastic.

Yes. Your Audio point is well taken. We need a decent quality mic to record audio coming out of each channels. While side by side comparison will not be possible, we'll at least have some benchmark to compare them.

About compressed AV - I do know that TS uses highly compressed video for HD channels. It can be seen in the fewer color levels. Something like a face with a high contrast - lighted from one side and dark from the other, will appear to have several layers of color as opposed to an smooth color variation. Regarding audio, I don't watch SD movie channels any more, so don't know much about SD audio quality on TS. I only watch ET Now, CNBC TV18 and HD movie channels :).

On a related note - I had been evaluating my audio setup for last few weeks and have brought back my Pace 2020 amplifier into life as my pioneer AVR wasn't all that great for music. The upside is I have 5 identical speakers for my HT setup. So evaluating TS HD audio will be easier. I am also going to purchase a decent quality microphone as I am still not satisfied with my stereo setup. Unfortunately my DishTV connection may not be alive till then.
Yes I am also trying to see only HD channels, however I "unfortunately" still watch Zee and Sony as they have much better programming as compared to Star Plus HD despite the latter being PURE "Asli" HD channel :(

I am planning to switch my focus to Star World HD as they show some great series.

Movies, I have also COMPLETELY stopped all SD watching like you and am only bothered watching Star Gold HD and Star Movies HD... They are more or less satisfying my need to the greatest extent possible in a DTH platform.

Wish we get HD News channels soon as I also watch Times now and almost all the business news channels which I agree that they look better on TS (though again some of them have terrible DRC).

thnx a lot guys..ur advice was indeed vey very useful for me...I have opted for TataSky HD..hope it will be good ;-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

just heard from my cable operator that.....HATHWAY is going HD in 1-2 months.....
it will be at much lesser price per channel against the current band of DTH HD providers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back