record cleaning method

kuruvilajacob

Hi friends,
Lots of hifivision members have been requesting me to explain my record cleaning method. i have taken a video(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dBVocfQ2c) which is not very professional but it should give the members a fair understanding of my vacuum cleaning method which according to me is far superior to many of the other DIY methods. Those who have any doubts may kindly PM me and i shall be glad to explain any doubts.
kuruvila jacob

Last edited:
I have personally experienced this technique at Kuruvila Sir's house and the result was UN-BELIEVABLE. In less than 30 seconds he made a dirty record sound close to new. Really amazing stuff.

-John.

I loved this idea for drying the LP.. Great thinking sir ! :clapping:

I had tried several methods of cleaning records and none of them really satisfied me until I met a guy who has specialized in polymer chemistry and runs a PVC pipe factory and one of the finest audiophiles I have come across. Once when I met him, he asked me how I cleaned records and he told me I was doing it all the wrong way. He explained how vinyl is made and why cleaning record is not so simple because all the dirt is hiding inside the groove and hates to be disturbed and you have to force it out of it's resting place. It can only be done by using a surfarctent which brings out dirt similar to dirt being brought out from fabric. This made sense to me and I went ahead with his directions of making solution using Isopropyle alcohol and demineralised water and a few drops of Eezy liquid soap or industrial surfactant . Though he gave me a brief idea of how to go about it, I have improvised on it and now I can confidently say that I have mastered the art of cleaning records as good as the best of cleaning machines!

sir,

this is a wonderful video and i think this kind of contribution made to enhance the knowledge of folks who love their music is truly great.

I do not own a TT yet but hopefully someday i would.. and that is where this kind of information will be looked at with gratitude in the future.

many thanks

mpw

Jacob-ji, this video is very useful when do in practical. Thank you for the effort which you take to explain by video.
Best Regards.
sunder.

Thanks for the nice short video.

Is demineralized water the same as distilled water?

What is this Industrial surfactant? Hearing it for the first time.

Is there any specific proportion in which Iso,demineralized water and industrial surfactant to be mixed.

What kind of velvet cloth is used in that tube attached to vaccum cleaner? Can it be replaced with a good quality cotton or lint free cloth

Thanks for the nice short video.

Is demineralized water the same as distilled water?

What is this Industrial surfactant? Hearing it for the first time.

Is there any specific proportion in which Iso,demineralized water and industrial surfactant to be mixed.

What kind of velvet cloth is used in that tube attached to vaccum cleaner? Can it be replaced with a good quality cotton or lint free cloth

Dear Jeyaraj,
Demineralised water is not the same as distilled water. Demineralised water is used for lab use and recommended for this purpose.
Industrial surfactant is used to clean very sensitive and expensive instruments. The one i have tried is Extran MA 02 . But it is better to use 4 or 5 drops of Eezy liquid soap for 500 ml of solution.
The specific proportion is 30% Iso, 70% demineralised water and one drop of eezy for 100 ml of the solution. The velvet cloth is softer and easier to glue to the PVC pipe. It also will last longer and it's strants will not get stuck on the record as much as lint free cloth IMO

Is this eezy a brand? Google could not give any useful result on this eezy liquid soap. Whether any liquid soap will do?

Also where do we get demineralised water? Last time my attempt to get Isopropyl alcohol at Vile Parle Mumbai failed.

Any mumbai FM can point me towards a place to get Isopropyl alcohol and demineralised water between Santacruz and Andheri.

Thanks Mr. Kuruvila for sharing your video on record cleaning. This shows your generosity and willingness to help and promote Vinyl culture. I must say, you have found a really practical way and almost no cost method for vinyl cleaning.

We all are thankful to you Sir.

Those who are not able to source Isopropyl alcohol and demineralised water may try for 'IPA' and 'DM water' in the Lab chemical suppliers shops.

Last edited:
I use the similar method for cleaning vinyl except different mixture for cleaning fluid.I finally rinsed and vacuum with RO water.

Regards,
Sachin

Is this eezy a brand? Google could not give any useful result on this eezy liquid soap. Whether any liquid soap will do?

Also where do we get demineralised water? Last time my attempt to get Isopropyl alcohol at Vile Parle Mumbai failed.

Any mumbai FM can point me towards a place to get Isopropyl alcohol and demineralised water between Santacruz and Andheri.

Eezy liquid soap is a product of Godrej used to soften delicate fabric. The reason for selecting Eezy is because the detergent is mild and will not damage the vinyl. Both the other items are available in any Lab chemical supply shops. Only the Nylon brush may not be available in shops and can be ordered from Nieedledoctor.com

godrej-ezee-liquid-detergent.jpg

Hi Sir,

Thank you very much for the video, seems my persistence in pestering you for record cleaning procedure followed by you paid off:eek:hyeah:. Thanks once again.

Lifewater

Dear Mr. Kuruvila, can you suggest a good wet vacuum cleaner? I have a BPL Vacuum cleaner, think its a dry one.

Dear Reuben,
Euroclean wet& dry vacuum cleaner is the best for this purpose. You should be able to get a second hand one for around Rs4K. i will check if there are any available. Wet & Dry is a must for this kind of record cleaning

I use Triton X-114 instead of Ezee. It is a mild ionic detergent and can be found in a chemist's shop. It has no other chemicals, and few drops of it in a liter is very effective.

I have been using Bambi Cuff & Collar Cleaner for quite sometime to clean all my old dusty records..I think the result so far has been good. Besides it does not have any bleach in it and its very mild and soapy.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back