record cleaning method

I use RO water mixed with IPA and little drop of Amway car wash(very mild),final rinsed and vacuum with RO water.

Regards,
Sachin

For the final rinse also some IPA is required to ensure the water evaporates fast and doest not stay dried on the record. i used to do similar to your process earlier and what I found was that when the water dries, it used to create a crackle noise when the record is played. This i understand is when the water again goes into the groove, it gets the dirt in the groove to solidify resulting in the crackling noise when the needles rubs against the solidified dirt..

IPA dissolves grease. My small spray bottle of water/IPa, which was originally mixed for my occasional vinyl cleaning, gets used for cleaning spectacles, phone glass etc etc. Very effective.

Sir, I just watched it. It was exactly the same as I saw it in person. I still have the 30sec video with me :).

For the benefit of the audience, once cleaned, they play flawlessly.

This is a great initiative as Video is one of the strongest means of training and learning.

May I request the other TT Gurus in this forum to come forward to post Videos on some of the key aspects of turntables?

Video Tutorials on: Tone arm balancing, Anti-skate Calibration, Pitch Control, Installations etc.

I know there are many videos on YouTube for the above, but I think it will be great to see our very own HFV members from India and around the world to have these videos up there.

Any thoughts? Coffee anyone?

May I request the other TT Gurus in this forum to come forward to post Videos on some of the key aspects of turntables?

Video Tutorials on: Tone arm balancing, Anti-skate Calibration, Pitch Control, Installations etc.

I know there are many videos on YouTube for the above, but I think it will be great to see our very own HFV members from India and around the world to have these videos up there.

Any thoughts? Coffee anyone?

I had posted one here http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/27836-how-setup-turntable.html

Regards,
Sachin

Many thanks to Mr. Kuruvila for sharing this. Could I request Mr. Kuruvila if you can post a picture of just the felt covered pipe attachment/terminus. Would help in understanding what is to be done exactly to construct it properly.

I was just wondering after checking the video that once the cleaning mix is put on the vinyl, wouldnt it be better if the exercise was done once by rotating the record clockwise 5 times and then cleaning it and after that counter clockwise 5 times and cleaning it or vice versa ?

Whatever dirt might have come out of the grooves in the first 5 spins might get settled in the grooves again if immediately spun and cleaned with the brush in the opposite direction. Could harm the grooves/stylus.

Just a thought.

Many thanks to Mr. Kuruvila for sharing this. Could I request Mr. Kuruvila if you can post a picture of just the felt covered pipe attachment/terminus. Would help in understanding what is to be done exactly to construct it properly.

I was just wondering after checking the video that once the cleaning mix is put on the vinyl, wouldnt it be better if the exercise was done once by rotating the record clockwise 5 times and then cleaning it and after that counter clockwise 5 times and cleaning it or vice versa ?

Whatever dirt might have come out of the grooves in the first 5 spins might get settled in the grooves again if immediately spun and cleaned with the brush in the opposite direction. Could harm the grooves/stylus.

Just a thought.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the cleaning method. The reason for adding a surfactant is to bring out the dirt from inside the groove and the reason for rotating it clokwise and counter clockwise is to ensure that maximum dirt inside the groove will be disturbed from it's resting place and most of it will be brought to the surface the action of the surfactant. It will be counter productive if done the way you have mentioned. I will post pics of the attachment which may be helpful in understanding the construction of the attachment

Last edited:
On another note, I am quite curious to know, how many of us actually love to hear a bit of those pops and crackles when listening to our old records. Whether it's the romanticism of placing a record on a turntable, seeing it spin, with the arm gliding on it and listening to the crackles and pops as it plays with hi-fi sound, or is it just the fidelity aspect? Just outright curiosity, that's all.

I enjoy the pops and crackles much more on worn out records as compared to the relatively clean and new ones. Basically, for me it is the expectation level I set with the fidelity of the records based on their condition. I tend to be more forgiving about the crackles when I know that the record already is worn out. But if I am playing a 180gms mint condition pressing, I would expect the pristine, detailed yet sweet vinyl sound.

However, occasional static noise does provide that sense of nostalgia about the good old days :licklips:. Makes me imagine the era when the recordings were done. That is the whole reason more than fidelity I ventured into vinyls in the first place. RETRO LOVE !!

On another note, I am quite curious to know, how many of us actually love to hear a bit of those pops and crackles when listening to our old records.
I do not enjoy them (and an actual scratch is just terrible) but I sort-of accept them. I suppose they almost become a part of that particular record.

A curious thing is that I find them much harder to bear when listening to the digitised files from the LP than when listening to the LP itself.

I do not enjoy them (and an actual scratch is just terrible) but I sort-of accept them. I suppose they almost become a part of that particular record.

A curious thing is that I find them much harder to bear when listening to the digitised files from the LP than when listening to the LP itself.

You could minimize the scratch noise by perfectly aligning your TT. Actually, the pop up noise is mostly the stylus rubbing on the outer sides of the groove and this can be minimised by first of all cleaning the record, and by aligning the arm especially the anti-skate. If your anti-skating is imperfect, the stylus will be rubbing the side of the groove and crackle and scratch noise highlighted

^^ That's a good tip! I think I'll try and experiment with the anti-skate on mine over the weekend.

Hi guys. I just tried out this method i saw on youtube

How To Clean Records - YouTube

Like the guy says..it doesn't clean the records 100% but it gives it a new life. I had some really old, dirty records (with all sorts of fingerprints!) and i cleaned about 10 of them with this method. When i played them after cleaning I was really impressed with what i heard! Almost all the pops vanished (as compared to 1 pop/millisecond earlier). Sound became so much fuller! These were really dirty records mind you (I dint try this on even a 'moderately clean' record). Has anyone here tried this method?

Last edited:
It gives a temporary new life. Because the majority of the dirt is inside the groove and when you do it this way, the dirt inside gets wet and your stylus will move smoothly over it and you feel it is playing without any distortion. Play it after a few days and you will hear more crackle noise than before you cleaned as the dirt inside the groove would have become harder after it dries..

You could minimize the scratch noise by perfectly aligning your TT. Actually, the pop up noise is mostly the stylus rubbing on the outer sides of the groove and this can be minimised by first of all cleaning the record, and by aligning the arm especially the anti-skate. If your anti-skating is imperfect, the stylus will be rubbing the side of the groove and crackle and scratch noise highlighted

Also if the stylus rubs the side of the groove, you'll hear enhanced surface noice. A worn stylus can also engage the groove walls. Here is an interesting chart which denotes the points of contact for eliptical and conical stylii.

url

Last edited:
Digging an old post. Plan to try this method sooner or later.

There are many conflicting information about using IPA, dish wash soap, normal water etc. on the web and am confused about which to believe and which to not. I have tried using mild dish wash liquid and tap water to clean my records with no wear and tear. Also have read somewhere that using vacuum cleaner cause static built up blah blah blah.

Can someone enlighten me.

I strongly believe many of the RCM manufacturers are concerned about the drop in sale of their solutions. So they are behind this IPA damaging publicity. They know that almost every one knows the combination of IPA plus demineralized water plus surfactant works effectively to clean records. I have not read anywhere what damage it does to the vinyl. Moreover, only 15% of IPA is used in this combination. I cannot say about other combinations as I don't know their chemical composition

Also have read somewhere that using vacuum cleaner cause static built up blah blah blah.

Yeah, it's blah.

A strong vacuum suction sucks off all the grime and dirt that was washed off the grooves, along with the fluid. I recently started using vacuum with Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solution formula No. 6. It's a major improvement over my previous cleaning method. The proof is that old records which I could never clean sufficiently before are now actually playable, and I don't see dirt+lint deposit on stylus after playing records cleaned with new method.

Those keen on brewing their own cleaning fluid can try this elaborate formula given in this thread:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...ultrasonic-record-cleaning-published-by-posit

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back