Replacement Speakers for Onkyo HT-S3300 Front Speakers

ukjeyaraj

I am currently looking for a HTiB/AVR Speaker COMBO for my living room. So dont want to spend very heavy on this. However would like to get decent sound quality for music.

I auditioned Onkyo HT-S3300 and kind of liked it for movies. Music wasn't that impressive.(Previous day's Hotel California from Denon 1611+QAcoustics2010 was still in the ears) Also I found the front speakers too big for a living room.

Request forum members to suggest good replacement speakers for Onkyo HT-S3300, which is small in size like JBL Control One or Polk Black stone, in the range of 10K/pair.

I found this offer from JBL. But no idea how much will be final landing price for the same.

Another option , is not to take onkyo HT-S3300 and instead

1) Get Pioneer VSX-520K (Rs.15.5 in mumbai grey)
2) Take a matching 5.1 speaker package (Rs.20K budget)

Cheapest ones I could find were only Polk RM705 and RM6750 for Rs.29K.

The advantage of VSX-520K over Onkyo-HTS3300 is, it has pre-out for sub, the disadvantage is, it does not have ARC. I like to know members opinion on the disadvantage of not having ARC in AVR

In either case I look to complete this entire deal within Rs.35K

Has anyone auditioned/own JBL SCS200.5?

How does it technically pair with Pioneer VSX-520 or Denon AVR-1311/1611?

JBL India has listed this for Rs.19,990/-. Is there any other package in this price point?

I will most probably take any audition this weekend at JBL lounge in Mumbai.

Hi Jeyraj,
Am in the similar boat as yours, my usage is 50-50 for Music and Movies. I had all my eyes set for a 3300 but, as you, I am not very convinced about its output for Music. Hence now I am contemplating a decent AVR (Onkyo/ Denon/ Yamaha) with Polk speakers.

need to find a place in NCR where I can demo the same.

Let me know how your demo went?

I auditioned at

Alliance 4, Anhderi, Mumbai

a)Denon 1611 with Wharf 10.2
b)Yamaha RX-V467 with Wharf 10.2

Viola, Andheri, Mumbai

a) Denon 1611 with Q Acoustics 2010i
b) Yamaha RX-V467 with Q Acoustics 2010i

In all combinations, I listened without any sub and with sub too.

Among all the 4 combos, I liked Denon 1611 with Q Acoustics 2010i. As I told in my first post this is not my main setup. So I am looking for cheaper solution but good looking to be used in the living room.

This weekend,being Holi, I doubt if JBL lounge at Mumbai will be open. I will try and find out some time to check JBL SCS200.5.

I am still keeping the option of taking onkyo HT-S3300 and changing the fronts open. One of my good friend has already prebooked for the FS of onky HT-S3300

I am using Onkyo 3300 with Polk Audio TSi300. The music just sings. But I have done heavy optimizations in my source which is my PC/laptop.

Also the bass with stock 3300 is bit muffled. I normally turn off the subwoofer when i am not watching any movie.

If you have the option, try auditioning the Yamaha 467 with few floorstanders in your budget.

I am using Onkyo 3300 with Polk Audio TSi300. The music just sings. But I have done heavy optimizations in my source which is my PC/laptop.

Also the bass with stock 3300 is bit muffled. I normally turn off the subwoofer when i am not watching any movie.

If you have the option, try auditioning the Yamaha 467 with few floorstanders in your budget.

Thanks for the info.

I am looking for small BS for front speakers.

^^
Boston is certainly in my list. However it inflates my budget by 6000 to 7000. If I dont get any other good combo, I may finally go for it.

Also I have seen Viola carrying Boston Acoustics in its stable.

^^^
I don't think it will be worth upgrading then. Probably Audioengine A2. The front speakers are too small to actually do justice to the complete spectrum.

Audio Engine A2 looks good. But it seems to be speakers meant for pc/laptop with additional power requirement due to its inbuilt amplifier. I dont want add one more power socket to plug this.

The cheap & better option is Pioneer 520 + Q acostic pack which can come for around Rs.70k?(15.5k+55K)
Mission MVDS pack is good for movies (35k) & you can get 467 for 22k(I think grey),but its not good for music.

Auditioned JBL SCS140BK and SCS200.5 at Palladium Mall, Mumbai.

Both were not impressive for music, though movie was good on both the speakers.

JBL SCS140BK - 14990
JBL SCS200.5 - 19990

Dude you are making fun out of it. How can a 70K system be cheap :eek:hyeah:

If you check the forum,you will know that 70k is the basic price if you need good HT system.Yes,Onkyo 3300 is available for 25k,then why there is need to change speakers?
In short if you need better ,you need to spend more.

Last edited:
Finally bought Onkyo HT-S3400 for Rs.22.5K from Vijay Sales Goregaon(East).

Wont be able to give a detailed review, as I am not going to use it currently.

Will change the FS subsequently or add good bookshelves for Speaker B.

Thanks to all who helped with their inputs and suggestions.

Hi vasishta.sushant,

I too want to optimize my laptop (with HDMI) for Onkyo HTS 3300. I am not at all satisfied with the current o/p. Could you please let me know what all the settings/additional components i need to buy to make laptop\HTS 3300 combo rocking?

My main usage is watching torrent downloads from laptop with HTS 3300 for audio.
I want to make laptop \ HTS3300 setup audio quality similar to watching original DVD from DVD player connected to HTS3300.

Could you tell me what kind of downloads and what settings in vlc or media player i need to do for the same?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back