Rethm coming out with bookshelf speakers - Aarka

I got a query over PM about comparison of the Aarkas to my existing PMCs. Quoting an edited version of my reply below in case others have a similar query.

—-
The Aarkas and PMCs are very different speakers. The PMCs have more sparkle at the top end and more of the recessed midrange presentation. Good tone but not warm. They also throw a large soundstage. The Aarkas have more fleshed out mids and better tone. They are similar on bass. They have top end bite but don't have the extra sparkle PMCs have. A more involving presentation.

At this point I've heard them in different rooms with different setups. I can't judge which one is better or worse. To me they seem in the same league. I suspect I will end up preferring the tonality and presentation of the Aarkas, hence the interest in trying them out. I also find the in built amplifier appealing.

Is there a way to audition the Aarkas in Mumbai? Do they have a distributor or dealer here? Are they planning to demo at the upcoming What HiFi show?

No distributor in India. They deal directly here currently. I don’t know if that will change - they have had Indian distributors in the past.

No idea about their plans for the WhatHifi show.

My impressions of the Aarka speakers and some basic comparisons:
  • Great tonality. Voices and instruments sound real. To me this was the defining trait of the speakers – they pull you into the music. I guess it’s a single driver thing – every single driver speaker I’ve had over the years does this well.
  • They are exceptional at the disappearing act. As mentioned earlier, I couldn’t tell which speakers were playing without walking up to them!
  • Resolution is very good – I would put them at par with my existing PMC 25.24 speakers on this front
  • One of my bugbears with the original Rethms I had was that they didn’t do well with very exciting music (hard rock, metal etc). These don’t have that problem. They can rock!
  • The bass drivers are rear firing so room placement would matter a lot. However, the easy to tune bass controls should make this easy. Even six plus feet from the back wall and bass level at about 35%, there was enough extension to be had. Bass character reminded me of the PMCs – extended, resolved but not impactful the way ported speakers are.
  • Subjectively I would place the speakers at a similar level to my old Sadhanas but given how long it has been, hard to have conviction on that statement
  • The current Saadhanas are a few notches up on resolution. From what I understand, that’s a trait the larger Rethm speakers share (Maarga / Trishna). They are exceptional on good recordings but you tend to notice the flaws in the bad ones. I suspect for someone who has good quality recordings and a suitable room, the larger Rethm speakers would make a lot of sense.
I am planning to order a pair of Aarka’s for myself. I hope they will work well in my listening space. If not, will try and find an appropriate spot for them in the house.
Thank you very much sharing your first impressions. You are probably the first person from this forum to listen to them!

Do you mind sharing the dimensions of your music space?

My system is currently setup in the living room. While the room is large, it has hanging beams which effectively divide it into two as far as bass reproduction is concerned. One area of about 10 ft X 12 ft and another area of about 12 ft X 20 ft. Currently I use the larger of the two. When I first moved to this house, I was using a separate room of about 180 sft.

Due to multiple entrances in the space, I also have placement constraints. The maximum depth from the front of the speaker to the wall behind them is three feet.

My system is currently setup in the living room. While the room is large, it has hanging beams which effectively divide it into two as far as bass reproduction is concerned. One area of about 10 ft X 12 ft and another area of about 12 ft X 20 ft. Currently I use the larger of the two. When I first moved to this house, I was using a separate room of about 180 sft.

Due to multiple entrances in the space, I also have placement constraints. The maximum depth from the front of the speaker to the wall behind them is three feet.
Thanks. I was wondering whether Arka is at all an option in my living room.

If you do purchase the Aarkas, are you looking to use the internal amps as the primary amplification source? Or would you rather pair it with your stand alone amp?

If you do purchase the Arka's, are you looking to use the internal amps as the primary amplification source? Or would you rather pair it with your stand alone amp?
I am looking at the internal amp as the primary amplification. My current amps are not really appropriate for a speaker of this type.

What's the price of these bookshelfs?
From what I understand, price is around Rs1.5 lacs plus GST including the stands.

The AARKA, I guess will require a preamp or Dac with volume control based on the last discussion I had with Jacob.
It is a much fuller sounding design than the previous Lowther versions.
It will also be in my shortlist of speakers for Bedroom .

A recent conversation with Rethm indicates that the Aarkas are going through a redesign and would be delayed another few months. This has more to do with manufacturing than sound quality changes from what I udnerstand

A recent conversation with Rethm indicates that the Aarkas are going through a redesign and would be delayed another few months. This has more to do with manufacturing than sound quality changes from what I udnerstand

Thanks for the update, Jai. Let’s hope they are able to make it at that price and sound like a Rethm.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back