Rock Wool for Sound proofing Ceiling

sunith

All:

I am in the process of setting up my dedicated HT room. Room size is 12X20. Civil work is complete.
Ceiling is right now sandwich PUF sheet. Gypsum false ceiling will come underneath that. My question is on further soundproofing ...

- My gypsum guy suggested to put some glasswool panels in the gap between the roof and the gypsum ceiling.
- He said 32 density, 50 mm thickness material. Around 20 Rs / sft
- Is that the right material to use ?
- Other alternatives ?

The room is in the terrace, anything which can further reduce heat will be advantage. Many Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Sunith,

Gypsum if you can avoid and directly use acoustic tiles it will be good.

If they are gypsum, you need perforated gypsum as otherwise the backing material is useless.

Your gypsum cost I guess will be around 70-75 plus rockwool/glasswool sheets would make it around 100. Instead you could go for armstrong or anutone tiles which will mask the mid -frequencies well.

Just make sure that the ceiling is finally black.

Sorry for OT,Where we could buy Rockwool (in retail ) in bangalore and what is the cost per Sq.feet? Any variety its available according to the thickness

Sorry for OT,Where we could buy Rockwool (in retail ) in bangalore and what is the cost per Sq.feet? Any variety its available according to the thickness

This is one source. There are a few members who have bought this. But it has been some tme back, so dont know the latest rates.

Twiga - the widest range of thermal, acoustic, and fire insulation

The other source is this company
Acoustic Products Manufacturers | Acoustic Products India | Best Acoustic Products | Soundproofing Solutions India | Acoustic Insulation Products | Acoustic Panels India | Acoustic Panels Bangalore | Acoustic | Acoustical Solutions | Acoustical Mater

You can either buy it as raw sheets plus tissue and you need to handle them or you can buy it as ready to use sheets which will be a bit more expensive.

I found another option (atleast for the ceilings) which is Anutone black which was around 120 rs. per sqft. so I am looking at that.

I couldnt find any source for perforated gypsum in bangalore, hence looking at readymade options. Let me know if you find any.

All:

I am in the process of setting up my dedicated HT room. Room size is 12X20. Civil work is complete.
Ceiling is right now sandwich PUF sheet. Gypsum false ceiling will come underneath that. My question is on further soundproofing ...

- My gypsum guy suggested to put some glasswool panels in the gap between the roof and the gypsum ceiling.
- He said 32 density, 50 mm thickness material. Around 20 Rs / sft
- Is that the right material to use ?
- Other alternatives ?

The room is in the terrace, anything which can further reduce heat will be advantage. Many Thanks in advance.

If you plan to use rockwool be sure that it is covered with some type of fabric , i have used it currently it has strong chemical sort of smell and itchy too, i have used to make bass trap, every time i enter the room i can feel the chemical sort of smell , even though it is covered with two lines of fabric , smell is not completely controlled. If you not yet purchased rockwool, try woodwool . I planned to replace my basstrap with woodwool.

Few points -
1. If you are looking to soundproof your roof + add some heat insulation, you would be stuffing it with Rockwool or Glasswool
2. Anutone/Armstrong tiles would help in reducing sound reverberations (note: not sound proof) and that too in higher frequencies only.
3. #1 would also help somewhat in controlling lower frequencies if done right and the thickness is sufficient.
4. Most knowledgeable people would scoff at trying anything without measurements but i have benefited by controlling reverberations in higher frequencies (voice and higher) as the sound is much more intelligible (dialogues are easy to understand) and reduced ear fatigue (can watch movies at higher volumes for longer without "tiring")
5. Bass/lower frequencies is tougher to tame. Most people have benefited by subwoofer placement. See my experience here http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/55945-what-your-subwoofer-placement.html

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back