Royal Philharmonic plays Abba ..... just heaven

Spidey

Guys,

this is a fusion of its kind.

Two of close-to-my heart groups playing each other !!

the Royal Philharmonic orchestra playing the tunes of Abba.

Just made-to-order for music aficionados, whose love for classical music and a famous group are satisfied in one go.

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra plays Abba

Though the RPO says it is one of its "non-classical" works.

Qoute :

Non-classical work

Associated with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra, currently managed by Elli Appleby, which is devoted to playing lighter classics. It was formed in 1987, in succession to the Royal Philharmonic Pops Orchestra.[7]

RPO players have been involved with many performances away from the classical repertory, including Yanni Live at the Acropolis, a concert held in Greece in 1993, conducted by Shardad Rohani; the Hooked on Classics series of records; orchestral arrangements of rock music by the likes of Pink Floyd, Elkie Brooks (on the album Amazing), Oasis, Queen, George Michael, R.E.M., U2, and ABBA; the song/album, Art of Life by Japanese rock band X Japan, composed by Yoshiki Hayashi; the official theme music of the UEFA Champions League; tracks on the British folk metal band Skyclad's 2004 album A Semblance of Normality; the Symphonic Rock: A Symphony of Hits 2004 album; and the BBC Grandstand Theme in 1982; Seotaiji Symphony, a concert held in Seoul in 2008, with South Korean rock star Seo Taiji, conducted by Tolga Kashif.

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra scored a #10 hit single in the United States in 1981-82 with the song, "Hooked On Classics."

The orchestra recorded the theme for Radio Mercury, who were also patrons of a number of concerts.

checkout.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of Abba
But have you heard ( and liked ) S&M by metallica??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&M_(album)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&M_(album)

S&M - an abbreviation of 'Symphony and Metallica' as well as a play-on-words for sadomasochism - is a live album by the American heavy metal band Metallica, with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Kamen, recorded on the 21st to 22nd of April, 1999 at Berkeley Community Theatre. This is the final Metallica album to feature bassist Jason Newsted (though not his final performance or recording with the band).

Similar concept ,more far fetched..

I was a major ABBA fan during my high school / college days. I get nostalgic whenever I even see the ABBA name.

Royal Philamonic Orchestra playing ABBA!! This sounds quite interesting.

Hai Capt,

The film covers their Australian Tour, and must see for all ABBA Fans.

I have the original DVD which we can include for screening in our next Chennai HFV meet.

N.Murali

Abba is pure harmony. A symphony playing that would be honey on ice cream. Looking forward to hear it.

There is a London Symphony playing with Jethro Tull (only Ian Anderson i think). Another example of the deep musical quality in groups like Tull. I bought it for a fortune compared to what i was earning. Its a treasure that i preserve even now.

Locomotive Breath on Symphony throws you ten feet into the air.

Regards

There is a London Symphony playing with Jethro Tull (only Ian Anderson i think). Another example of the deep musical quality in groups like Tull. I bought it for a fortune compared to what i was earning. Its a treasure that i preserve even now.

Regards

Hi! Is it available in Indian stores

Thanks
Sameer

Last edited:

Regards

Hi! Where did you buy this Tull album?.Exact title name please!

Last edited:
Royal Philharmonic and symphony orchestra has recreated many popular rock and pop songs, many times their version has been simply amazing.

Most of them are available in CD.

Last edited:
Seriously, I would recommend these recordings even if you are a ABBA fan or not.
The nuances of recordings, the crescendo and decresendo of musical instruments, , interlaced with subtle piano moments where you have to hear really hard to hear them, and then the sudden rolling of drums and playing of bass trumpets ... u jump out of ur chair just by listening them..its all there.

It just tests the dyanmic range of your system and if you "hear" each note you are happy and you realise the sheer force of the orchestra which intimidates the tunes that they are playing effortlessly.

btw, there was Mamma Mia!, promoted as Mamma Mia! The Movie, a 2008 musical/romantic comedy film adapted from the 1999 West End musical of the same name, based on the songs of successful pop group ABBA, with additional music composed by ABBA member Benny Andersson.
Its music also topped the charts of US/UK last year ... so the group is still live and sales !

And the Orchestra :

496porkiestra.jpg

A poster of Mama mia :
200px-MammaMiaTeaserPoster.JPG

cheers

Last edited:
Hi! Where did you buy this Tull album?.Exact title name please!

A Classic Case: London Symphony plays the Music of Jethro Tull, featuring Ian Anderson.

I bought it about 15 years back, but i bet it should still be popular.

Attachments

• 51qNdcH41UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51qNdcH41UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 41
Friends,
Speaking of ABBA reminds me of my college days.It was a popular group amongst youngsters me included.Their composition is sweet music pleasing to the ears.It will always be an evergreen hit .
Sincerely,
pksnathan

Have you seen the movie -"ABBA The Movie"
That sure brings back memories. I remember bunking from hostel to go and see this at Chanakya cinema in Delhi, way back in 1979-80. I remember the movie staring out with a 4:3 aspect ratio and then some character in the movie says "this will be a world wide experience" or something to that effect, and as he says that, he expands his arms and the picture on the screen also expands in sync with the arms, to fill the 2.35:1 wide screen. :clapping:

This is good news for me ! I really liked ABBA and I liked the new versions of their songs in - ABBA the Movie. Will definitely try to get this album from Amazon if possible.

The nuances of recordings, the crescendo and decresendo of musical instruments, , interlaced with subtle piano moments where you have to hear really hard to hear them, and then the sudden rolling of drums and playing of bass trumpets ... u jump out of ur chair just by listening them..its all there.

This is a serious temptation:licklips:

btw, there was Mamma Mia!, promoted as Mamma Mia! The Movie, a 2008 musical/romantic comedy film adapted from the 1999 West End musical of the same name, based on the songs of successful pop group ABBA, with additional music composed by ABBA member Benny Andersson.

I have that. It is truly beautiful.

This is good news for me ! I really liked ABBA and I liked the new versions of their songs in - ABBA the Movie. Will definitely try to get this album from Amazon if possible.

Hai Brendon ,

ABBA The Movie & Mamma Mia are two entirely different movies the former covers their 1970s Australian Tour which will be covered by a Radio Journalist, who wants to make an exclusive interview of them, but fails. When he casually checks in a Hotel he comes across them in the Elevator and that when the song "Eagles" comes...... Heaven. The whole movie contains ABBAs Live performance in Australia at various venues. I got the Original DVD from Sweden.

I think Mamma Mia is a latest movie in which Meryl Streep has acted, and has songs from ABBA.

N.Murali

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back