sam9s Home Theater - Civil Construction - PHASE II

Thanks sud, I dont know much about this. at what point of interior decoration should I be concerned about these boards, and how to apply them infact where to apply them.....sorry this is all new to me. If one can guide me I probably can go with it ..... plus cost as well how many would I need and so what could be the cost.....

To calculate the reflection points

Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics

Costs I am not too aware. You can call anutone at Anutone

^^ errrr I am not talking about 90-100% sound proofing, fiberglass, green glue would give me 95%+ sound proofing. I am just trying to get some sound proofing as compared to nothing. Thats the objective.

Yes MDF is prone to mold thats a good and valid point, OK so would not go for MDF.

Just tell me if I want to achieve just a basic sound proofing. I probably should not call it shound proofing at all. What I mean is something better than leaving it just like that. Bare walls you know.

I see you have mentioned plywood as well, Would that make some difference ..... is it reliable if I will put carpet on it ???.

You have concrete walls. That will take care of most of the sound and reflect back in the room. Some bass will escape through it. Concrete walls attenuate about 45 to 50 db. Noise floor outside is about 40 db. So you are already 80 to 90% there. Besides, your biggest sound leak to outside will be any door/window that you may have.

If still want to do some more sound proofing, I would suggest going with membrane type bass traps on the walls. Those would absorb the bass, helping with the concrete reflections and booms.

mmm Ok will look in to Bass traps then(later on). Will leave walls as it is. BTW they are not concrete walls per se, but normal brick, cement walls. The roof is also cement sheets ...... dont know how much sound proofing I have there.

No windows, or cabinets, that might lead to sound leakage or vibrations. The door yes I am planning to have think doors, with, if possible rubber sealing.

UPDATE :::

Flooring and Plastering done .... Internal civil work is almost done ..

2wp1hll.jpg

Next is JK White cement on all walls..... a days work and I shall be ready to concentrate on brushing the internal wiring, post that false ceiling work should start.

Hi sam,

A small suggestion. Make provision for concealed wiring for front height speakers also. You may need the same.

i haven't taken care of that and now I feel it might look odd with wires protruding if I make provision for front height speakers

hi sam.. could you please remind me the size of the room?

15x12x8

Hi sam,

A small suggestion. Make provision for concealed wiring for front height speakers also. You may need the same.

i haven't taken care of that and now I feel it might look odd with wires protruding if I make provision for front height speakers

errr too late for concealed wiring now. :) as all plastering has been done. NOw any addition will have to be external. BTW my AVR is 5.1 how n why would i even connect the front high speaker.

Last edited:
15x12x8

errr too late for concealed wiring now. :) as all plastering has been done. NOw any addition will have to be external. BTW my AVR is 5.1 how n why would i even connect the front high speaker.

If you upgrade to 7.1 in future then you can utilise. If you are running the conduits in the wall then you can still get chipping done and probably get it closed before putty is done

Putty done as well ..... :) BTW I am not gonna upgrade to 7.1 any recent as I have just bought a new AVR DENON x1000... :)

sam have u done any 3d or 2 d drawing for your proposed setup. could u share with us if u have one

Sir have you even gone through the entire thread. A comprehensive 3d model has been shared on the first page of this thread itself.

hello friends ,after goin through this thread i got much of an idea for the ht room i want to build.will it be fine if i go with bass traps in the corner of my room and use fiber glass panels
which i just saw on you tube and for the remaining walls on the reflection points will be using glass wool panels

Mini UPdate.

Getting the false ceiling work started this week. This is what is finilized,

Armstrong acoustic tiles are really expensive here. The board is expensive, the framework is expensive. All in all pqf its coming to be 110-115 Rs PSF.

I have settled for a lesser known brand JK for acoustic tiles, which is coming to be 75Rs PSF all inclusive. If you go for non acoustic its 70 Rs PSF, The plain gypsum board false ceiling is coming to be 62Rs PSF.

Can anyone comment on these prices. ????

Mini UPdate.

Getting the false ceiling work started this week. This is what is finilized,

Armstrong acoustic tiles are really expensive here. The board is expensive, the framework is expensive. All in all pqf its coming to be 110-115 Rs PSF.

I have settled for a lesser known brand JK for acoustic tiles, which is coming to be 75Rs PSF all inclusive. If you go for non acoustic its 70 Rs PSF, The plain gypsum board false ceiling is coming to be 62Rs PSF.

Can anyone comment on these prices. ????
The rate for gypsum board false ceiling according to me is correct. A few weeks back i reconstructed my false ceiling i was quoted Rs.60/sq.ft. for gypsum and for calcium silicate (ramco hilux) sheets it was around 80/sq.ft........i chose the calcium silicate boards for many reasons such as water resistant, fire proof, etc. I kept gypsum as well as hilux in water for 24hrs and found hilux to be stronger as well...whereas the gypsum board totally crumbled into pieces. As far as prices are concerned you can take a quote from 2-3 dealers and compare and see what you feel best.

my points -

9. CENTER : Polk TSx 150C
Why not 250C

the roof is made of "asbestos sheet" (as per pictures)
please look for some jugad to keep this room cool when you are not using it.
in North india temp may go very high on top floor, not good for AV device overall life cycle.

my points -

9. CENTER : Polk TSx 150C
Why not 250C

Two reasons ..

1. Room Size (just 14x11) (My first (one) seating recliner will be placed somewhere between 10-11 feet which is close enough for 150c to easily perform.
2. Budget ... :D

the roof is made of "asbestos sheet" (as per pictures)
please look for some jugad to keep this room cool when you are not using it.
in North india temp may go very high on top floor, not good for AV device overall life cycle.

AFAIK they are pure cement based sheets, coz when I go upstairs in the room I actually feel cool in comparison to the rooms below. Never the less there would a 1.5 ton AC running in the room plus an exhaust that will supply the same cool air from main room to the equipment room.

Last edited:
Friends UPDATE :::

This weekend, a long one with good Friday being off, good progress made.

1. False ceiling work started, 50% completed .....By the EOD today should be completed

2. All electric wiring done, left is : Spk cables, HDMIs, USB and CAT 6 cables.

3. Went to bhagirath palace and all lights were bought. 26 unites in total purchased. This is how I will segregate.

1. 6 ceiling LED spot light
2. 4 High Beam spot lights falling to the project screen
3. 5 High Beam spot light falling on 5 posters
4. 1 High Beam spot light falling on Equipment rack, when glass door will be opened.
5. 1 mini table lamp
6. 4 small warm ceiling lights for the gallary entry
7. 1 big ceiling light for equipment room
8. 1 High Beam spot light falling on the back of the Equipment rack
9. 1 5 meter warm rope light
10. 2 5 meter LED strip light

Yet to purchase .....

1. pantry Lights
2. Light for out side walls of the theater.

oh1yix.jpg

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back