sam9s Home Theater - Civil Construction - PHASE II

Yes I have that point in mind, my room does not have any windows, only two door, that will be only used for enterance and exit. Infact the enterance is also via a gallery so there would not be direct opening to the out side word. Never the less given this fact, I will have to do a vaccum cleaning of the entire 3 walls and floor once every week, (if not 2-3 days). I am okie with it.

In my previous house my bedroom was carpeted and it looks really cool, hence I am ready to pay the "mehnat" :D for carpeting, plus reflections ...??? even on dark colored red wall (in case of Premblr HT) there are good amount of reflections. So carpeting should be safe enough.

It it still poses a big problem, will the get the boards painted black .....we will see..

Don't paint the boards. Paint still has some reflections. Take out the tile, spray glue on it and then stick velvet on it. Stretch well, cut off excess. This will absorb everything and will look nice compared to paint.

mmmm ok good suggestion, Just one doubt .....wont that spoil the acoustic nature of the tiles. ..... not sure ..

Those are called acoustic tiles only namesake. They don't absorb much and don't diffuse much, only except very high frequencies. Unless, you use 6" + thick.

Oh damm, why didnt anyone mentioned this ... I could have saved 5 rs psf here to go with non acoustic tiles ... :(

Chalo whats done is done :( .... I shall try to implement the velvet solution, if I do get lot of reflection off the ceiling ....

Last edited:
Even paint might do but only matte finish. Go for inexpensive paints - expensive paints (ex: asian paint royale) are mostly glossy and reflect light. Even the regular distemper might be good.
One more point, your acoustic tiles are certainly better than non-acoustic tiles - at least high freq and vocal level frequencies will be absorbed to a large extent. These are important from dialog intelligibility and ear fatique point of view. So if you get a water based spray paint and use it, then you might be able to retain some of the acoustic goodness.

^^ ok what about if I use velvet cloth. How much would that effect the accoustic nature.

I have not yet, but thats the plan ..... I am not sure about the material, but I went to my local area (ghaziabad) carpet dealer, and chose the color. Quality starts from 10 rs pqf to 100 rs psf plus labor separate. (7-10 rs psf)

Oh ok thanks. I cant visualize it somehow. How are you planning to fix it to the wall?

let me take care of the visuals for you .. :D

Below snap was my previous HT when I first bought it.

The wall was carpeted. I would use the same materila this time but more dark color.

Wall is glued first and then carpet is laid out.

i26g4w.jpg

^^ ok what about if I use velvet cloth. How much would that effect the accoustic nature.
Velvet with glue might take away some of the acoustic properties of your tiles. Velvet by itself should also absorb some of the high frequencies. But you may not need to cover the entire ceiling with velvet. Just some of the front portion should improve your viewing experience by a large margin.

Sam even i find the wall carpeting idea intriguing. Is it the regular floor carpet or something else? I would also be wary of dust. In my HT, i have few large fiberglass/fabric panels and they are dust magnets. I can literally smell dust if it isn't vaccumed at least once a week.

Velvet with glue might take away some of the acoustic properties of your tiles. Velvet by itself should also absorb some of the high frequencies. But you may not need to cover the entire ceiling with velvet. Just some of the front portion should improve your viewing experience by a large margin.

No if I cover it will be complete, leaving half tiles white and covering rest will not at all look aesthetically good. So I have to decide between killing my acoustic nature of tiles or deal with reflections.

This is something I will decide when the theater is fully complete and I see the reflections are substantial.

Sam even i find the wall carpeting idea intriguing. Is it the regular floor carpet or something else? I would also be wary of dust. In my HT, i have few large fiberglass/fabric panels and they are dust magnets. I can literally smell dust if it isn't vaccumed at least once a week.

its not floor carpet per se, but can be used on floor. its thinner than what you would normally use on floor

no ... not yet .... but will do if I feel the need to ..... sound absorbents can be added anytime at a later stage ...right ...?

Well acoustics was the first thing I designed when I was building my room :). Yes you can add it later after you measure your room response and fix the issues with appropriate treatment. Getting bass sound right is the biggest challenge though. But it's fun. I am going to run REW to fine tune my acoustics.

mmm well I am not much of an acoustic person I guess ...:D, but I sure will take your advice and see what all can be done if I do feel that the bass is lacking.

Friends UPDATE :::

Equipment rack has been made and placed in to the wall grove. The side molding also has been added. It just needs polishing and should look good.
The front will also be cover with a glazed glass. Once the wall carpeting will be done, the final feel will come ... :)....This is how I planned my equipment rack ...

Rack Dimensions :: 66"x24"
Total Racks :: 9

1. Room Switch Control Board :: All the switches for all the lights and electronics will be placed here.

I have not placed any switch board in any corner of the room. All manual switch control will happen from here.

2. AVR Denon x1000
3. HTPC
4. Gaming PC i7
5. Pana BD 60 Bluray player
6. Synology NAS + WD TV live
7. Router + Modem + 2xSwitch + Rasp Pi + Cubie Board
8. 7-10" Monitor connector to HTPC and Gaming PC for troubleshooting
9. My Radio Server (laptop)

Row 9 is on slider, so that the laptop can be pulled out for easy access. This shelve will be out of the Glass Door covering the entire 8 shelves.

Few snaps for the build

zn7gaf.jpg

6f1bmh.jpg

Last edited:

@sash, I see Liberty Grand view projector screen in your sig, can you tell me where did you source it from and how much did it cost for 125". I am planning to have 135" on my HT. How is the performance. Any other brand that you would recommend, apart from Grand View that is relatively easy to source ....

Sam, mine is a pull down screen. The quality is excellent - thick, no freckles after 1.5 years, great picture quality - highly recommended. See my thread here for details
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...xperience-setting-up-my-projector-screen.html
The second post on the thread has contact details of the dealer.
Basically "Liberty Grandview" is not the same as "Liberty". The former is imported and rebranded just on the casing - everywhere else it shows Grandview. Grandview is a known brand and i have had great experience with it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back