sam9s Home Theater - Civil Construction - PHASE II

Hi there,
good design you have there :)

you have used cement sheets for your roof. considering summer temperatures, the area below the sheets and above the false ceiling is going to be heated more than the room. check if you can paint white/reflective paint outside on the cement sheet sun facing side to minimize heat absorption.
for Electricals, please use high quality ones with auto cutoff features in case of power in neutrals.
do not connect cable TV/internet at any point to minimize surge through the cables. use DTH / wifi routers.

all the best.

Hi there,
good design you have there :)

you have used cement sheets for your roof. considering summer temperatures, the area below the sheets and above the false ceiling is going to be heated more than the room. check if you can paint white/reflective paint outside on the cement sheet sun facing side to minimize heat absorption.

Good point .... will do that definately .... thanks.

for Electricals, please use high quality ones with auto cutoff features in case of power in neutrals.
do not connect cable TV/internet at any point to minimize surge through the cables. use DTH / wifi routers.

all the best.

No cable TV in here, but I have laied out cat 6 cables for all internet connectivity. Wifi will also be there, but for HTPC, gaming PC and the likes, LAN cables have been used. Wifi will only be for Mobile TAB and Roku stick attached to the Projector.

Sam, mine is a pull down screen. The quality is excellent - thick, no freckles after 1.5 years, great picture quality - highly recommended. See my thread here for details
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...xperience-setting-up-my-projector-screen.html
The second post on the thread has contact details of the dealer.
Basically "Liberty Grandview" is not the same as "Liberty". The former is imported and rebranded just on the casing - everywhere else it shows Grandview. Grandview is a known brand and i have had great experience with it.

Thanks sash, I will be going with fixed screen, with masking system IF budget permits else will have to live with black bars. Tell me Grandview..... is THIS the one we are talking about here.

@sash,... and others... I had a talk with the Grandview north india authorized dealer (new delhi Tilik nagar), (http://www.star-screen.com/) and I was heading for a surprise. Grandview fixed frame is wayyyy to expensive. Liberty is a bit cheaper. Then they have their own brand called Regent, which is a little bit more cheaper than liberty. This is all fixed frame I am talking about. Manual Pull down is so very cheap, for what ever reason. This is how I was given the price ..

Fixed Frame

1. Grandview 120" : 48000, 133" : 52000:eek:
2. Liberty 120" : 23500 there is no 133" option. Next is 150" 70000
3. Regent 120" 20000, 133" 23000

Manual Pull down

1. Grandview 120" 15000

Why is manual pull down so much cheaper then fixed frame :mad: .... there is a huge difference. 15K and 48K ... damm ....

anyway Grandview is out of question for me. Liberty there is no 133" so Liberty is also out. Left is Regent, no idea how good is that. Going by the dealer's word, the quality is more or less equal to Liberty. SO lef is Regent 133" for 23000. I dont want to go for 120" since I have the space for as big as 135"

Grandview anyhow he says is good for a high end projector like Pana AE8000. for Mid level projector like mine Liberty or Regent will suffice ....

The price includes the transport cost plus the installation cost. He also says the guy coming to install can also help in installing and calibrating projector...

Comments please ....??

Last edited:
Since your room width is 12 feet, so I dont think you will be able to fit in more than 120 inch screen. I would suggest go for the manual pull down. I personally find it a better option to prevent dust and dirt. As long as there is no wind, it should be fine.

Sam,

have you given a thought to purchasing the screen material from US?

Another option - buy the pull down screen, rip the screen material off and build a fixed screen out of it. you will have to buy bigger size manual. you will still come out ahead.

for dust - get an oversize curtain to go above the screen. It's a good idea to keep it covered.

Some points -
1. I have a pull down screen - haven't experienced any wobbling etc. Picture quality is superb. When the lights are off, it's all the same i guess (no pun intended).
2. But somehow i feel a fixed screen might have been better. Maybe it is a hassle to pull it down all the time, maybe it is the looks, whatever.
3. Dust will be a huge problem in India. Even if you close the windows etc dust creeps from somewhere. If your area is dusty, you might want to think about this.
4. Not sure why a fixed screen should be more expensive than pull down. An instalock pull down screen has some sophisticated mechanics underneath - not sure how it can be less expensive than fixed screen.
5. Like Manoj said consider getting screen material from the US. Many forum members have got screen material shipped to India from Carl's place. You may want to try it.

Since your room width is 12 feet, so I dont think you will be able to fit in more than 120 inch screen. I would suggest go for the manual pull down. I personally find it a better option to prevent dust and dirt. As long as there is no wind, it should be fine.

According to EPSON projector distance calculator ... (Epson Projector Distance Calculator) for EPSON 2030, a 135" screen will have a width of 9' 10". That leaves 2' 2" for me to adjust the spk. Polk Tsi 300 are exactly 7" wide, so I need 1' 2" for the speakers, which leaves 1 clear feet (2' 2" - 1' 2) for adjustments which is easy. (6 inches each side) I personally tried that upstairs with markings and it was coming to be ok.

So if I go with 133" as this is what I am getting I think I should be pretty much ok coz that makes the screen width to 9' 8" giving me 2 inches more.

Sam,

have you given a thought to purchasing the screen material from US?

Another option - buy the pull down screen, rip the screen material off and build a fixed screen out of it. you will have to buy bigger size manual. you will still come out ahead.

for dust - get an oversize curtain to go above the screen. It's a good idea to keep it covered.

If I purchase the material from US I still have to get someone expert to do the framing, a normal carpenter might screw things up. I dont think I can DIY the screen frame.

Some points -
1. I have a pull down screen - haven't experienced any wobbling etc. Picture quality is superb. When the lights are off, it's all the same i guess (no pun intended).
2. But somehow i feel a fixed screen might have been better. Maybe it is a hassle to pull it down all the time, maybe it is the looks, whatever.
3. Dust will be a huge problem in India. Even if you close the windows etc dust creeps from somewhere. If your area is dusty, you might want to think about this.
4. Not sure why a fixed screen should be more expensive than pull down. An instalock pull down screen has some sophisticated mechanics underneath - not sure how it can be less expensive than fixed screen.
5. Like Manoj said consider getting screen material from the US. Many forum members have got screen material shipped to India from Carl's place. You may want to try it.

Yes even I feel fixed frame will look better, but I was surprised to see fixed frame more expensive than pull down. For dust well as manoj said I will do the curtain thingi ....

again shipping the screen from US can be done however making a perfect frame to hold that screen on wall will be a challenge ....

Last edited:
Sam,

it may seem daunting - but building a frame is quite simple. There are few forum members who have done it using carpenters and some are in Delhi. Look up on internet how its done and show it to carpenter.

This sounds easy said than done :( ...... getting the screen first then finding someone to perfectly fit it in the frame ...... Wonder how much I am gonna save. If its just for couple of thousands, I might as well go with Regent 133" for 23000/- ......

Been there, done that - with two total newbies (non theater, non diy folks). Mostly to help holding the frame/cloth while I go stapling the cloth on to frame.

But I agree. If you are not comfortable using a carpenter, better buy complete screen with installation.

Friends ...UPDATE ...after a looong time :). My funds ran out to purchase the AC... :D so could not proceed for a month ...lol...

Well the update is AC is installed and almost all interior lights have been installed as well. The lights you see on walls is the poster lights, under which the posters will come once the wall carpet is installed.

Next is Gallary lights, Equipment room lights and all connections terminating to the master switch board .... Plus all cable like HDMI, USB etc ...

After which will go for wall carpet, the flooring, door curtains etc... .... Which I presume will be the final stage.

I can then concentrate on placing my equipment and Projector.... :)

Check the snaps below ....... Please igonore the mess in the room ..... :D :D Its WIP hope you understand ...

do8e9f.jpg

2pphsw6.jpg

15qvmuw.jpg

Nice - can't wait to see how this'll look after wall carpeting. Actually Sam, it'd be great if you put up detailed step-by-step pics on the wall carpeting.

detailed step-by-step pics on the wall carpeting.

didnt get you kindly elaborate ...

Was trying to say, please put up photos of the entire process of laying out the carpet so we know how this works

oh ok ...will see if I can click snaps while the dude is applying the wall carpet .... :)

Damm I forgot to click the snaps .....I totally forgot .... apologies sash ... but it was nothing exceptional ..... he applied glue to the walls and to the inner carpet and just pasted it on the walls ..... then slided out the bubbles if there were any ...... if there is any specific question you can ask and I shall try to answer as I was there the whole time the dude was applying the wall carpet.

BTW @ To All,

Wall carpeting has been done :) ... tomorrow flooring will also be completed ... I will share the updated pics with all room coverd up tomorrow only ....

Things are shaping up now .. I am excited ..... wall carpet really looks cool .....

I just hope there was a little bit more participation on this thread by my fellow members. :)

Damm I forgot to click the snaps .....I totally forgot .... apologies sash ... but it was nothing exceptional ..... he applied glue to the walls and to the inner carpet and just pasted it on the walls ..... then slided out the bubbles if there were any ...... if there is any specific question you can ask and I shall try to answer as I was there the whole time the dude was applying the wall carpet.

BTW @ To All,

Wall carpeting has been done :) ... tomorrow flooring will also be completed ... I will share the updated pics with all room coverd up tomorrow only ....

Things are shaping up now .. I am excited ..... wall carpet really looks cool .....

I just hope there was a little bit more participation on this thread by my fellow members. :)

I have been following your thread silently. Now this reply is just for you my friend ;)

I hope everything was done by now. Plz post images waiting :D

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back