sam9s Home Theater - Civil Construction - PHASE II

Koushik,

A curved screen for projectors is used IF there is an anamorphic lens involved. This anamorphic lens is used to expand the picture 1.33x horizontally to get cinemascope aspect ratio. But this lens also distorts the picture little bit with more height on left right and less in the center of picture. It's called pincushion. To negate this effect, a curved screen built which brings the ends closer to projection distance and makes the screen with uniform height. There is a specific formula, depending upon throw ration + image size to determine how much curve is needed.

If not used with anamorphic lens, a curved screen will actually cause sides of screen lower and center more height. This is called barrel distortion. If you notice, the thread you have linked is to the DIY constant Height section at avs. That section is all about 2:35 with anamorphic lens.

Google pincushion and barrel distortion to see what it looks like.

Not at all. I am thoroughly enjoying and appreciating your build and getting inspired too. I am sure there are many others.

Please keep updating your progress.

Don't be so disheartened. There may not many people around who would have the luxury ( read space/ dedicated room) of setting up this whole thing. Even if someone have space, it involves loads of brain strain, heaps of time, poor availability of resources ( this includes human like a carpenter who can visualize and sync with your vision) of course the very basic thing funding and co-operation from family and not the least passion. So many like me might be silent spectators who have plans to built it up in near future or never ever. Most of us are contended with to buy best suited HT setup in living room. So this response is no surprise at least to me. But u, manoj and few of our FMs are leaving a legacy here which would inspire people to dream of a dedicated HT room. These post of yours are not seasonal....they are a reference...a bench mark. There is a dialogue in a Tollywood movie which is relevant in your context and right now crossing my mind, I will say it in translation. It goes like.... " when some extra-ordinary thing is happening, not many may realize it. Once it happens, there is no need of anyone to acknowledge it " All the best.

Thanks 8055, much inspirational words:) .......

This dream of mine....... I have been living it for like 5 years now, 2009 was when I first knew and got the chance to have my own Home and I decided to have my own HT. Joined HifiVision, stating that I am going to construct my HT in the basement of my house Things went on and I almost read every HT thread on HIFi Vision and AVS forums :), and created few as well. but life is full of UN-expectancies, did a whole lot of planning with the same, read and re read (and participated as well) in so many threads on the same .............this went on for like two years ........but for some personal reasons could not materialize the House Construction.......... life moved on ..... Bought a multistory flat and kept a dedicated third room for my HT...... and again the planning started "from scratch" :)........ thread reading, collecting info, collecting photos, planning on DOC and XLS and what not ...... but when destiny has something else for you,(good or bad) you cant do a thing ...... the builder delayed the construction for 3 years and after 3 years of waiting, I was left with an unfinished incomplete flat ....... had to sell it of and finally purchased an almost ready to move builder flat with roof rights this year in 2014 ...

Planning started ...:) :):D "from scratch............again" but this time finally I was able to kick start the project after 5 years of waiting and planning and waiting and planning and reading forums ......lol ... :D ...So its kind of u know, now that I HAVE FINALLY started my own thread I am eager for people to participate ...same is with AVS where I have not see any participation AT ALL and all this years I was just waiting, when would my HT be started and I will open my own personal Dedicated HT thread on HIFi and AVS and have my fellow members participate the same way they have been participating in others .... and have a good discussion on my so very dearly planned HT ....

Long post I know .. :D But I kinda felt like letting my feeling out ... :) .. I know its off topic, so do excuse me .......

will update soon my HT progress ..... There were lot of things related to cable management that had to be done at the back of my RACk to keep things not screwing up, I think I am almost there ......will update soon...also If someone has actually cared to read the entire post ,,,,appreciate his patience as well ....:)

Last edited:
Don't be so disheartened. There may not many people around who would have the luxury ( read space/ dedicated room) of setting up this whole thing.

Hi BOSS8055,

I am not at all disheartened and actually looking forward to build a dedicated A/V room myself as well. I don't know how/why that "sad tone" got conveyed to you :D.
It is long pending and I have my plan sketched out. I keep on reading all the WIP DIY HT projects to educate myself and stay updated.

A probable incident (new job and new city), most probably, will keep me away from this project for another 5 years or so but not longer :)

Cheers!

:confused::confused:^^ What !! Now I am like confused ....:confused::confused::confused: .... I thought he was referring to me :D, my tone might have sounded a bit pessimistic ...... There is no hint in your post that infers any "sad tone" per se ....:):):):)

so 8055 who you referring to ... ???

Don't be so disheartened. There may not many people around who would have the luxury ( read space/ dedicated room) of setting up this whole thing. Even if someone have space, it involves loads of brain strain, heaps of time, poor availability of resources ( this includes human like a carpenter who can visualize and sync with your vision) of course the very basic thing funding and co-operation from family and not the least passion. So many like me might be silent spectators who have plans to built it up in near future or never ever. Most of us are contended with to buy best suited HT setup in living room. So this response is no surprise at least to me. But u, manoj and few of our FMs are leaving a legacy here which would inspire people to dream of a dedicated HT room. These post of yours are not seasonal....they are a reference...a bench mark. There is a dialogue in a Tollywood movie which is relevant in your context and right now crossing my mind, I will say it in translation. It goes like.... " when some extra-ordinary thing is happening, not many may realize it. Once it happens, there is no need of anyone to acknowledge it " All the best.

Sunil.gif

Sam bud,

Screen. Go for DIY. Much cheaper, better. I am highly satisfied with my job.

^^ Yes finally decided for a DIY. My carpenter is ready to assist here. Its gonna take some time for the screen material to arrive ...... so there might be a gap of like 7-10 days ..... but will keep adding few small updates. Currently working at the back of my RACK for some presentable cable management.

Hi Sam,
HT room is really appreciable. btw what is the scree size .. i mean the width and the height.
Also let us know type of LED lamp used for decor and price. How much for the HV rack?

Rgds,
Samrat

Thanks Samrat .....

Screen Size between 130-133' (will see the comfort level while doing a DYI and decide final size, but in all probability it will be 130')
Length will be 9.5', height 5.5'. (for 130' approx)

Type of LED I am not sure. I just went to the biggest delhi lights whole sale market (Bhagirath Palace) and went through loads of available lights. Choose what attracted me most. ... :) Prices are .... between 200 and 500 per light, depending upon the kind of light.

The rack again is one of the many of the wood work activities I ordered for my entire flat, so its difficult for me to pin point the price of single of a single commodity. I paid him for the entire wood work ....

Hi Sam, Thank you for reply.
1. What is your screen top and screen bottom height from the floor respectively?
2. Projector distance from the screen?
3. Projector distance from the ceiling? Have you used ceiling mount? if so then the which model? and total adjustable length?
4. From where you got the screen material and at what price?

5. How you have done the carpeting on the side walls? Have you made wood panels? If wood panel then dimension of panels i mean depth/height/width of the panel. have you done any acoustic/heat treatment behind the side wall carpet?

6. Regarding cable management - pls throw us some idea.

Sorry to ask you so many questions at a time... but me too in a same boat bro...

Regards,
Samrat

Regards,
Samrat

Hi Sam, Thank you for reply.
1. What is your screen top and screen bottom height from the floor respectively?
2. Projector distance from the screen?
3. Projector distance from the ceiling? Have you used ceiling mount? if so then the which model? and total adjustable length?
4. From where you got the screen material and at what price?

5. How you have done the carpeting on the side walls? Have you made wood panels? If wood panel then dimension of panels i mean depth/height/width of the panel. have you done any acoustic/heat treatment behind the side wall carpet?

6. Regarding cable management - pls throw us some idea.

Sorry to ask you so many questions at a time... but me too in a same boat bro...

Regards,
Samrat

Regards,
Samrat

No issues all queries are welcome ..

for your point 1,2 and 3, refer the below image will give you all details ..

2rww60w.jpg

Yes I have bought the ceiling mount from AMAZON. I have yet to mount it thought, will do it once I get my screen ready ...

screen material I am still searching but I contacted one of the delhi dealers who said he can import a Da-Lite screen for me if I want to. I have to yet decided ...

Carpeting is done without any boards or anything. Initially I thought I will put MDF boards before and then, the carpet, but the result would not have been too different to make the investment worth, so decided to just install the carpet directly on the walls ...

Hope the answers were satisfactory ... :)

Hi Sam,
I have tried the calculator but cannot alter the ceiling Height... when I am giving my ceiling height in the text box and trying to alter the projector distance and other parameters it is taking the default figure 9'10" as ceiling height. How did you fix the ceiling height to 8 feet in your case?

or can you calculate the same for me for a screen size - 120"
Aspect ratio - 16:9
Ceiling Height = 7'.6"

Regarding the ceiling mount - how you have thought to mount from your ceiling as your ceiling is not RCC and hope you have made metal pipe structure for the asbestos roof.

My room is also on rooftop with tata blue scope structure with metal pipes.The ceiling mount from amazon are for rcc ceiling for some flat surface.

Please provide your views...

I dont know you just type it in, thats what I did ... :) Here I calculated for you

5zejya.jpg

Yes I made a metal pipe structure but that is not exactly in the center so I will not be able to use it. I have cut an 8mm ply which I will place it just above the tile and mount projector on tile taking the support of the ply. Lets see how this goes ....

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back