sam9s Home Theater - Civil Construction - PHASE II

Hi,

Thanks a lot..Please share your cable management ideas if done already. Regarding projector ceiling mount .. where you are going to screw the mount frame ?? 8 mm ply right. How you have fixed the 8 mm ply? did you put the ply on the false ceiling plates? and from there you will mount the ceiling mount?

One thing ... regarding Gypsum boards... have you fixed these boards on the false ceiling frames with glue or just placed it over the frames. If it is placed over the frame dont you think it may vibrate during music play..

well they are just placed and they are not that light to vibrate that much certainly not on music, they might when LFE produces some very low frequency sounds .... will see then what solution I can come up with. Will take hifi fellow members advice as well...

Hi,

Thanks a lot..Please share your cable management ideas if done already. Regarding projector ceiling mount .. where you are going to screw the mount frame ?? 8 mm ply right. How you have fixed the 8 mm ply? did you put the ply on the false ceiling plates? and from there you will mount the ceiling mount?

I have not done anything yet thats the plan, theoretically, when I will start the mounting process, will see how it goes and will change the plan accordingly. Will take snaps or a video when I will do it............. to share ... :)

Last edited:
:confused::confused:^^ What !! Now I am like confused ....:confused::confused::confused: .... I thought he was referring to me :D, my tone might have sounded a bit pessimistic ...... There is no hint in your post that infers any "sad tone" per se ....:):):):)

so 8055 who you referring to ... ???

Of course iam referring to only you Sam9s . After reading your post on planning since 9 long years, this is what I mentioned in my previous post....passion. If possible please upload a proper pic of your equipment rack all decked up with glass door closed. Keep up your good work.

I quoted KOUSHIK's post as an reference and in support of the statement made. My apologies for any confusion and all the best to KOUSHIK as well.

By the way timely GIF of actor sunil....Nero9 :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
5 Actually... 5 Long years.. :). BTW did you miss the below snap I Posted of my rack.

2eok2gk.jpg

Its not fully decked up yet, that I will do only when I have my Projector and Screen up and placed. The Cable management at the back is taking quite a bit of exercise, as I am following a pretty orthodox approach of how cables are managed in our country .... will do a detail post soon. My carpenter will be coming next week, so just one week of wait and I shall build my screen ..... :)

Cos you used a phrase "since 2005" in your journey to owning a dedicated HT, keeping that in mind I said 9 years. Anyways I stand corrected. As you havent finished the whole work, did u think of leaving provisions (atleast 4) for celing speakers to support Dolby Atmos? I know its bit late but by chance if you can accomadate, it would be future proof

Cos you used a phrase "since 2005" in your journey to owning a dedicated HT, keeping that in mind I said 9 years. Anyways I stand corrected. As you havent finished the whole work, did u think of leaving provisions (atleast 4) for celing speakers to support Dolby Atmos? I know its bit late but by chance if you can accomadate, it would be future proof

Must be a typo should be 2009 ... :). Anyway for Atmos, I would also have to retire my DENON X1000 I guess then, which is a brand new bought piece, and I am in no mood to retire it so soon...... so no Atmos for now. :)..... but you never know, maybe 4-5 years down the line when it becomes more acceptable I can try if its just a matter of adding ceiling speakers. :)

Friends Mini UPdate.

I got the screen material, delivered yesterday, I also have instructed my carpenter how to construct the Frame. The frame will be ready by tomorrow evening. Mean time bought a staple gun to fix the screen to the frame. Tomorrow evening I think I should be able to complete my DIY screen.

Mean time also bought ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 2GB DDR5 GPU for the electrifying 3D Full HD Gaming experience on my 130" screen ....:D with full 5.1 dolby ... :). Just finished installing the drivers and my Gaming PC is also ready to be placed in that RACK .....

28mk49l.jpg

5x74sp.jpg

Last edited:
We all hope you finished setting up your screen. Please post the pic of bare bone frame too before attaching the screen to it. Also can you post a pic of screen material package in what it comes in....just out of curiosity.

Hello Sam,
Its good to see your thread as guide liner for new members for HT construction and as a detailed one. Sorry i was not a active member, since i have only very little knowledge about the technical details i was not able to participate actively. But to mention i was a silent reader.

Murali.

Hi Sam,
From where you got the scree material? What type of material you have purchased.. is it black out cloth? Price range?? kindly share some info on this matter.

Regards,
Samrat

Friends Mini UPdate.

I got the screen material, delivered yesterday, I also have instructed my carpenter how to construct the Frame. The frame will be ready by tomorrow evening. Mean time bought a staple gun to fix the screen to the frame. Tomorrow evening I think I should be able to complete my DIY screen.

Mean time also bought ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 2GB DDR5 GPU for the electrifying 3D Full HD Gaming experience on my 130" screen ....:D with full 5.1 dolby ... :). Just finished installing the drivers and my Gaming PC is also ready to be placed in that RACK .....

28mk49l.jpg

5x74sp.jpg

Hi Sam,
From where you got the scree material? What type of material you have purchased.. is it black out cloth? Price range?? kindly share some info on this matter.Regards,
Samrat

Its the same material maximum number of screen built in china uses, including Liberty. No its not blackout cloth. Its proper screen material. Price is 100 rs PSF. Just the screen material. I bought it from silver screen visual presentation, uttam nagar, New Delhi.

Frame cost is coming to be 3700.(including everything) Will share the details and pic of the same when I receive my frame today evening.

We all hope you finished setting up your screen. Please post the pic of bare bone frame too before attaching the screen to it. Also can you post a pic of screen material package in what it comes in....just out of curiosity.

Yes will do so for sure, just let me get my frame today and I shall post all the relevant pics of the same....:)

Thank you for your reply. Spoke to Deepak the owner of silver screen visual.. It seems we need to buy a roll which comes 10.5 feet by 6 feet.. so total cost will be - Rs.6300 plus taxes and shipping..

Did you got it per sq feet as per your requirement of took full roll.?

Regards,
Samrat

yes I took the complete roll coz I needed at least 6 inches margin for fixing the screen on the frame.(my 130" comes to 9'5"x5'.5") But I bargained the price to 6000 including tax. Shipping was 900. Coz of the distance from Uttam Nagar to Ghz.

OK The frame finally arrived, it was a herculean task to make it reach my terrace. My first impression when placed against the projector wall ...."wowow thats gonna be huge screen!!!!" .. :D :D ........Anyway it was a bit late so I could not take pictures, tomorrow I will be spray painting the frame and fitting the screen, so will take picture and share.

Mean time posting the pic of my screen material how it came packed ....... apologies brothers will post more proper pics tomorrow....

dbh302.jpg

Sam - are you getting the frame made locally by your carpenter or getting it from somewhere?
Regarding mounting the projector i suggest not mounting it on tiles. Mount it on the ceiling or the back wall. I mounted it on the back wall because i was not very comfortable with the idea of drilling my ceiling (all concrete no brick).
You can also consider placing it on a high back shelf (but then you might need vertical lens shift if you want to do this).
It is my experience that any loose structures will vibrate when LFE is being unleashed by a good sub. In my case, i had to work on windows, doors and pretty much everything that was loose in the room because they vibrated uncontrollably under the assault of the sub - so be warned :)

MAJOR UPDATE :::::

Friends it gives me a great pleasure and honor to announce that finally the "core" of sam9s Home Entertainment Theater has been completed. By Core what I mean is other individual items to improve the esthetics, useability of the room will keep on adding, and I probably will open a Phase III thread for this.

BUT for now the projector has been installed the screen has been installed and it has given me a hallelujah of an experience. :D . I apologies for such a delayed response, actually the screen was installed on sat evening only at about 8 PM, but immediately after that I got so wrapped up in configuring all the things and experimenting that I could not get time for the post. Plus all my devices including my NAS was switched on along with my HT inauguration, so I got even more busy setting up everything.

None the less here I am to share all the pics and also iterate a brisk overview of my experience. First the pictures ....

1. Bare Bone Frame

11jsyys.jpg

o9lgz7.jpg

2. Screen Installed from different angles

oanekp.jpg

qod3pz.jpg

p2jr8.jpg

3. Screen from up close. Used the flash to show a bit of frame.

igg281.jpg

2q3dxtf.jpg

4. Now the actual quality when the movie is playing. The image brightness and quality is just impeccable.

fofa1f.jpg

ruu03n.jpg

4. A video to showcase the quality of the picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2BIZTDGJ5M&feature=youtu.be

Please make sure you view this video in 1080p to have some idea, ofcourse this is no way even remotely near the actual image I was witnessing ....

============================================================

I completed the installation on sat around 8 PM in the evening. Configured the AVR (Audssey) and it pretty much very nicely made the amendments. The only thing I changes manually was the woofer db. For some reason it calibrated to a negative value. I brought it to +1 and BOOM, the recliner was shaking. :D.

Few things before I share the movie experience. The projector installation........ I was a bit disappointed as I could not map the image corner absolute 100% to the screen, when infact every thing was calculated before the screen DIY. The diagonal is exact 130" +-1 few millimeters. But how so ever I tried I could not map the corners 100%........ there is an inch gap at the bottom left cornet and maybe 1/2 inch on the bottom top as well.

Though when the movie plays and the lights are switched off, nothing makes a difference and nothing gets noticed, but I was kinda little disappointed.

What is the experience of my other fellow members in this department.....

Anyway as I said it didnt matter the moment I played the movie.............

===============================================================

My first Movie

Well I thought what should be my first movie on my HET (I call is HET, Home Entertainment Theater... :D), I didnt want any rips as my first exp. Only Bluray, and with the 20 or so BDs I have, I chose Black Hawk Down for the inaugural enlightenment ...:) (It was a close call between, This, Transformers 1 and Saving Private Ryan)

Popped in the BD and ..... vola!! MAN!!! I am stumped ..... this screen/projector is fukcin .... huge and beautiful and damm crystle clear, and sharp and bright and..... and ... keep adding adjectives ... :), basically its fukcin AWSOME!!!!!!!.

When I reached the main battle screen I was enjoying every moment of it, however I was a little edgy of the bass, as though it was good but (if you remember I enjoy shaking bass) it was not shaking. I opened the manual setting that Audssey did and I saw LFE db value in "negative"!!!, I was like WTH!!!! .... I increased the LFE DB to +1 and pushed the play button from pause .. and ...and ....and ....... I was blown and thrown out of my recliner ..... EARTH QUAKE ......!!!!! was what I felt .. :D :D :D :D

And I must ay NOTHING in the room including false ceiling tiles caused any noise due to this earth quack, yes my wife did come upstairs running asking why is the roof rumbling .....:D :D ..... IT WAS AS SATISFYING AS I COULD EVER HOPED FOR. :) Better than any audition I have ever taken ( and believe me guys, this is not because its my personal HET), I am not that kind of a person who over exaggerate. But this was an actual BLISS!! .... far exceeding my expectation in all departments...

By the time I finished the movie it was like 2-3 AM, so I just dropped in to my bed. SUN was again a day for setting and I fiddled around my HTPC and all. I need to re install OpenELEC with new setting and all. The IPs and Port FW everything has been changed, per new Router and configuration, so next few days will be invested in this.

PLus 3D AND gaming as well ..... I have not yet tried 3D here which I will do today or tomorrow and share my experience. But up untill now this is THE Home Theater I was looking for ......

Questions and Doubts ....are welcomed ..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back