Samsung 50C550 or Sony 46EX400

krytonx85

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a large TV preferably 50".
So far from my research, these are two models that fall under my buget which is 80-90k.

Samsung - 50C550 - Rs 79k - Plasma
Sony - 46EX400 - Rs 85k - LCD

The room size is around 7ft * 8 ft.

Please help me in choosing which one or if there is another tv that is better, please suggest that too.

Cheers

Thats a small room.. But anyways you have to decide if you like to buy an LCD or Plasma then you can compare diff plasmas and LCDS...

One of the best VFM plasma is LG 50PK550R (63k) ... Samsung should be much less in chennai....

And for that Sony LCD price you would get a Samsung or LG LED .... So do a bit of research and search the forum threads under televisions section ..

good luck.

Kittu

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a large TV preferably 50".
So far from my research, these are two models that fall under my buget which is 80-90k.

Samsung - 50C550 - Rs 79k - Plasma
Sony - 46EX400 - Rs 85k - LCD

The room size is around 7ft * 8 ft.

Please help me in choosing which one or if there is another tv that is better, please suggest that too.

Cheers

Your buying decision should be based on 2 things : -

1. How much natural light you have in the room ? Do you have lot of windows and it is bright or is it dark with low light ?

2. What do you plan to watch on the TV? Primarily what will you be viewing ?\

Once you answer the above questions decision making will be easier.

The hall is well lit with 2 large windows..however I am planning to buy some curtains to ensure the lighting remains low.

Usage would be something like TV - 50%, Movies - 20%, Gaming -20%, Music - 10%...

Go for a 50inch plasma Samy 50 or LG 50.... While LG seems to be the VFM it sure seems to have some issues with green pixels and Sammy has its own but this forum will help you debug and fix the problems in future..... So visit a shop which carries both these watch them side by side go with the one you like...

If the enviorment will be of low lighting and i see your tv viewing will be high, you can go in for a plasma, audition couple of 50" models from LG, Samsung & Panasonic, and buy the one which you like the best in terms of PQ and budget.

Your room size is small and your viewing distance will be even smaller.
If i were you i would look at 40" to 46" MAX.

I too have large windows in my tv room,but no matter how good the curtains are the light is still plenty.
Lcd are brighter so they can defeat the glare and some lcds have a matte screen.

So have a look at the Sony EX400 and samsung C530.
The sony 40" can be bought for around 42k to 45k and 46" lcd for 60k to 65k in grey market.

Thats a small room.. But anyways you have to decide if you like to buy an LCD or Plasma then you can compare diff plasmas and LCDS...

One of the best VFM plasma is LG 50PK550R (63k) ... Samsung should be much less in chennai....

And for that Sony LCD price you would get a Samsung or LG LED .... So do a bit of research and search the forum threads under televisions section ..

good luck.

Kittu

Hi Kittu,
I did search atleast 4-5 shops around and the best they could do for the Samsung 50" C550.

If there is any forum user who knows a place in chennai for me to try and get the model for anything less than 65k,please let me know...thanks...

Hi Kittu,
I did search atleast 4-5 shops around and the best they could do for the Samsung 50" C550.

If there is any forum user who knows a place in chennai for me to try and get the model for anything less than 65k,please let me know...thanks...

I dont think you can get it for 65 if you get it is a steal... But LG for sure is arround 63k in bglr and samsung 71k... So far all my inquiries are over phone.. May be personal visits can bring down by 1 k or 2....

Why dont you contact BGLR sellers take a quote and bargain with your local chennai dealers?

Your room size does not warrent a requirement for a 50" TV even if you are planning to wall mount.
42-46" would be the max you should look at considering your viewing distance will be like <6 feet. (IMO 32-37" should suffice)

Instead of getting a 50C550, a much more wiser decision would be to go for a 42"V20 panasonic plasma for ~60k. It will suit your room size and lighting conditions much better for a bit cheaper cost and it is the best TV around for the price. Bigger is not better for your requirement. Smaller and well equiped is the key.

You can even consider any 40"/46" Sony in grey market. Adder is in chennai and can help you out with contacts to get the best deal. 40" starts from 40k last I tracked.

Reiterating, It will be very hard to view a 50" TV from 6 feet, especially for SD/DTH.

Edit: Just saw that adder has already posted with his suggestion. Go with that.
A 40" Sony for ~40k or a 46" one for 60k or a panasonic V20 42" plasma for 60k in no particular are the ones you should demo and decide.
Keep in mind, you have to demo from 6 feet. That is important. The shop wallas will force you to stand further apart for 46"/50" TV, dont budge. 6' is where you will experience the TV in your home.

Last edited:
As pointed out by other members, you room size can take a max upto 40 inches.

I would recommend you to go for Lcd as they are low in power consumption. This is the reason i did not go for plasmas though i like them. And i own a Sony Ex400 and the picture quality is too good.

That said you also take a demo in the showroom before making the decision.

Thanks, Prakash.

Thanks for all your comments...

The reason I am getting a 50" now is bcoz I am planning to move to a bigger room later.

Apart from that,,how do feel the plasma models are in India...I have vitually all the shopkeepers warning me that Plasmas are a bad choice!!

Thats why I have LCD as a consideration. However if plasmas are good enough, I feel they provide good value for money..Particularly the Samsung 50C550,,

Last edited:
As pointed out by other members, you room size can take a max upto 40 inches.

I would recommend you to go for Lcd as they are low in power consumption. This is the reason i did not go for plasmas though i like them. And i own a Sony Ex400 and the picture quality is too good.

That said you also take a demo in the showroom before making the decision.

Thanks, Prakash.

The bank interest on the money saved on buying a Plasma.. can pay your electricity bills..

Read someones post here.. with exact calculations.. with 10 hours of continous watching.. you'd end up spending around Rs 250 per month.. LCd would be somewhere around Rs 150 - 175.. You approximately save around 100 bucks a month assuming you watch so much of TV on a daily basis.. :)

most folks here have quoted for 68k imrahn of kerala has bought it for 68.5+a free dvd player during onam in kerala prices will come down for diwali im shure

The best price I was quoted in BGLR so far is 70500/- :licklips:

Thanks for all your comments...

The reason I am getting a 50" now is bcoz I am planning to move to a bigger room later.

Apart from that,,how do feel the plasma models are in India...I have vitually all the shopkeepers warning me that Plasmas are a bad choice!!

Thats why I have LCD as a consideration. However if plasmas are good enough, I feel they provide good value for money..Particularly the Samsung 50C550,,

Whichever shopkeeper that has told you that plasma is a bad choice , either is taking you for a ride or does not know anything about technology, plasmas have been in the market for a longer time than lcd's. Also plasma sales have bumped up big time in India. Also if you take my 2 cents, people who talk about high electricity bills due to plasma ,they make others feel as if plasmas are electricity guzzlers, which is not at all true.

Also i have always said PQ in Plasma is any day better than a LCD and if you are a movie lover, better to go for plasma rather than LCD.

Look at the enviorment you want to setup the tv, the budget, what you plan to watch, then take a call of what you want to buy depending on requirements.

Also never demo a plasma in a bright room, ask them to turn the lights of and put the set in movie mode. Most dealers bump up the plasma on max settings and put a lcd next to it in bright lighting and would compare both the sets which is wrong.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back