Samsung 51D490 3DTV owners thread......

@Vista

I have also purchased 51D490 few days ago and let me share my experience with 3D. I downloaded few demo videos and 3D effects were good. You can really feel the depth and when things jump out of screen it is enjoyable specially for kids.
But yesterday I saw IMAX Dolphins and Whales 3D and it was awesome...I bought this TV just for its PQ and considered 3D as just a free add on. I thought its just a gimmick and maybe my expectations were low to begin with. But after watching that documentary, I was blown away! Now consider that I have not owned a 3D TV before and haven't demoed other brand's 3D feature. So I don't have anything to compare it with. But overall I am very satisfied with the performance. Now I haven't used it for more than half hour so not sure if using it for longer periods gives eye strain or headaches. I will update here if I feel anything like that in future.

SAMSUNG is the best when it comes to 3D, the depth and POP are very good, there is no ghosting or flickering.

There is definitely some strain on the eyes while watching 3D for longer periods, but i have read somewhere that after some time the eyes and the brain will get accustomed to the 3D movies and there will not be any headaches or strain.

Guys, i have calibrated the TV with "HDTV Calibration wizard" and the picture quality is just awesome after that.

SAMSUNG is the best when it comes to 3D, the depth and POP are very good, there is no ghosting or flickering.

There is definitely some strain on the eyes while watching 3D for longer periods, but i have read somewhere that after some time the eyes and the brain will get accustomed to the 3D movies and there will not be any headaches or strain.

Guys, i have calibrated the TV with "HDTV Calibration wizard" and the picture quality is just awesome after that.

Hi, Could you please guide us too for calibration. I have SAMSUNG PS43D490. So I expect the settings to be same as of the 51" brother.

Caliberated so soon?
Aren't you doing breakin?

BTW, what happened to the fotos?

Samsung 51D490: My Short review

After using/watching this plasma, all I can say is "Plasmas throw out an awesome picture, beautiful blacks, great contrast and are better off in almost every aspect than the LCD/LED TV's. If you want to save money, and still get a brilliant picture, then this is the one.

3D PQ : 3D picture is bright, depth is great , there is no ghosting, motion blur even when u watch lying down on the floor. which is a major drawback of passive LED TV's especially LG passive LED's, also when compared to a passive 1080p 3D LED TV you are actually seeing more lines of resolution on this active 3DTV (51D490) which sends the full 720p to each eye while the passive 1080p sends 540 lines to each eye.

ok now the Pics.....

(a) Below is the Pic with some ambient light above the TV , but there is no direct incident ray of light on the TV, i use some lighting to lower the eye strain.

HPIM0952.jpg

(b)First , below picture depicts the REFLECTION issue, there is one CFL Bulb and opposite door open which can be clearly seen.
HPIM0966.jpg

Second, below picture depicts the PQ quality when there is no CFL Bulb and no opposite door open. Isn't that awesome:yahoo:

HPIM0977.jpg

(c) Calibration settings: Below pics gives you the idea about the settings i am currently using

HPIM0984.jpg

HPIM0988.jpg

(d) Pics with HD channels @ videocon d2h

HPIM1021.jpg

HPIM1020.jpg

HPIM1013.jpg

HPIM1038.jpg

HPIM1029.jpg

(e) SD channels @ videocon d2h

HPIM1042.jpg

HPIM1008.jpg

HPIM1001.jpg

(f) 3D Glasses

HPIM0967.jpg

HPIM0973.jpg

(g) Watching movies on my POPCORN HOUR A210 is just "out of this world"

The popcorn hour has a zoom setting "Fullscreen" which removes black bars without affecting resolution and without cutting any portion of the size of the screen/ subtitles , samsung plasma also have zoom feature but it cuts a lot of screen size/subtitles. The below picture show same that how its done by Popcorn Hour.

Before:
HPIM0956.jpg

After:
HPIM0959.jpg

So, as everybody do :), i "HIGHLY RECOMMEND" this TV to anyone who have a dark room, want to have a spectacular TV and want to save money.

thanks mandeep!
great tv i must say:clapping:! i guess if there is faint light facing the tv then there is bound to be some reflection! buts its quite manageable!!

i just wanted to know if you took the extended warranty if any?

thanks again!! happy viewing:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

thanks mandeep!
great tv i must say:clapping:! i guess if there is faint light facing the tv then there is bound to be some reflection! buts its quite manageable!!

i just wanted to know if you took the extended warranty if any?

thanks again!! happy viewing:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Thanks buddy

The quality of HD and SD channels is great on this TV.

The extended warranty is available as told by the dealer, but i didn't took it now but may be later.

BTW when are u planning to buy a plasma tv.

I have got this 43D490 installed yesterday night. Its a huge jump for me from a 29" CRT Onida TV. Totally awesome experience so far.
I bought a belkin gold 8 surge protector to protect this TV specifically but it comes with 15A plug where as all the 8 plugs in belkin protector are 5A.

I have bought an 5A to15A multi-purpose switch for 40rs and plugged into the 5A belkin surge protector as a temporary solution.
Is this ok or any other alternative solution available?
pls do help.

I have got this 43D490 installed yesterday night. Its a huge jump for me from a 29" CRT Onida TV. Totally awesome experience so far.
I bought a belkin gold 8 surge protector to protect this TV specifically but it comes with 15A plug where as all the 8 plugs in belkin protector are 5A.

I have bought an 5A to15A multi-purpose switch for 40rs and plugged into the 5A belkin surge protector as a temporary solution.
pls do help.

Congrats!!!
We are sailing on the same boat....I too got my 29" Onida upgraded to this monster; bought MX surge protector (with EMI&RF filter) and 15A-5A adapter. This seems to be a good combo...but we need to focus on the long term solution i.e to have superior voltage stablizer. Now I am managing with my 20min power back up UPS.

pls do help.

Congrats rock18 :clapping:, you will really enjoy this TV. This year Samsung budget plasma TV's are much much better than budget panasonic's. D490 series really rocks!:yahoo:

U can also buy a round pin plug top 5A
77325.jpg

and cut loose the 15A plug from the original wire and fix this.This is what i have done for my 51D490.

UPS or voltage stabilizer is a must.

Congrats!!!
We are sailing on the same boat....I too got my 29" Onida upgraded to this monster; bought MX surge protector (with EMI&RF filter) and 15A-5A adapter. This seems to be a good combo...but we need to focus on the long term solution i.e to have superior voltage stablizer. Now I am managing with my 20min power back up UPS.

congrats to u too DIVASMMM :clapping:, yup a superior voltage stabilizer or UPS is a must.

Congrats rock18 :clapping:, you will really enjoy this TV. This year Samsung budget plasma TV's are much much better than budget panasonic's. D490 series really rocks!:yahoo:

U can also buy a round pin plug top 5A
77325.jpg

and cut loose the 15A plug from the original wire and fix this.This is what i have done for my 51D490.

UPS or voltage stabilizer is a must.
Hi Mandeep,
Thank you very much.
i have never fiddled with any wiring stuff before so i am not sure if i can do the cutting and fixing part.
so the 15A-5A method(one which i use currently) is also Safe???
Or should i check with some electrician to do the cutting and fixing as prescribed by you?

What is the use of voltage stabilizer? i have read some posts here which says that voltage stabilizer is of no use. That is the reason why i have bought Belkin gold surge protector for 1400rs.

Why is UPS needed for a TV? is this for backup?
Please advise.

Hi Mandeep,
Thank you very much.
i have never fiddled with any wiring stuff before so i am not sure if i can do the cutting and fixing part.
so the 15A-5A method(one which i use currently) is also Safe???
Or should i check with some electrician to do the cutting and fixing as prescribed by you?

What is the use of voltage stabilizer? i have read some posts here which says that voltage stabilizer is of no use. That is the reason why i have bought Belkin gold surge protector for 1400rs.

Why is UPS needed for a TV? is this for backup?
Please advise.

yes u should call electrician then.

A Voltage stabilizer is required, just in case if there is any over/under voltage condition, then it will automatically stabilize the its output, over-voltages generally are very harmful, it can lead to power supply failure of the TV. There is always a cutoff device in Voltage stabilizer such as an MCB or a Fuse which can also cutoff power to the TV and protect from any damage.

UPS is another choice but it should have AVR (automatic voltage regulation) feature in it. You don't need backup BTW and a voltage stabilizer is enough. The voltage stabilizer's sometimes don't have surge protection inbuilt that is why u need Belkin surge protector.

so, BELKIN surge protection + voltage stabilization is a must

I have both of these in my dedicated HT setup, i purchased 2KVA voltage stabilizer way back in 2001.

Last edited:
Folks, instead of buying a 15>5Amp adapter or cutting cable and connecting a 5Amp plug, its best to buy a regular PC power cable which usually has 5Amp plug and it will be a permanent solution for all without any issue of loose or ugly connection.

Hi Mandeep,

Since you are the owner of D490, i guess you would be in the best position to answer my question....
Pls see my living room, with my current lcd tv, One tube light partially opposite and and diagonally one bulb above the full french windows....in daytime...needless to say curtians will be drawn...but night time...with the lights shown in the pics...will d490 be able to be watchable?????

Pls suggest urgently...i am not able to judge this in the showroom as the lighting conditions are different...

Hi Mandeep,

Since you are the owner of D490, i guess you would be in the best position to answer my question....
Pls see my living room, with my current lcd tv, One tube light partially opposite and and diagonally one bulb above the full french windows....in daytime...needless to say curtians will be drawn...but night time...with the lights shown in the pics...will d490 be able to be watchable?????

Pls suggest urgently...i am not able to judge this in the showroom as the lighting conditions are different...

1) Your Drapes will require change to thicker ones.
2) The tubelight will not affect the experience though switching it off will add to the experience.
3) The bulbs (yellow light) on the side will increase contrast.

Hi Mandeep,

Hello

The tube-light will have its effect on PQ, especially during dark scenes. But i must add that the TV will be still watchable.

My suggestion to u is purchase any of these wall lights (pics below) and remove the tube-light even bulb also and fix these instead.

That way the rays of light directly traveling towards TV will be totally cut off and you will still have enough lighting for your room also.

philips-susan-black-fabric-wall-light-22w-s.png
Make: Philips, Price 1325/- MRP

Roomstylers%20QWG305.jpg

or u can visit philips website

http://www.philips.co.in/c/lighting...GHT=true,LIGHTING_BY_TYPE_SU_IN_CONSUMER=true

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back