Samsung 51D490 3DTV owners thread......

mandeep

hello friends,

Really Happy to inform to you all that today i purchased/booked the Samsung 51D490 3DTV for my HT room.:yahoo:

This replaces my 4 year old 32 inch Panasonic Tx-32lx700 LCD TV.

The delivery + installation is promised for tomorrow.

First thanks to BLASTO, Naveen_reloaded, vikram 2640 and others for providing useful info/reviews etc and helping members a lot.

Since many members reported that there is no difference in PQ of 720p and 1080p beyond 6 feet or so and also as my viewing distance is about 10 feet, so dropped the idea of 51D550 and purchased this one instead. Samsung 51D490 also have great positive reviews online

This year LG is focusing mainly on PASSIVE LED's there is not even a single LG 3D plasma on display here in chandigarh and Panasonic haven't yet launched their entire 2011 range and moreover panasonic plasma's are way overpriced, so there is not much option left within 50k-60k price range.

The best price initially offered for Samsung 51D490 was 57,800/- with 2 glasses free.

After negotiation today got the price reduced to 56,500 + two 3D glasses free, they were not ready to give the set on par with Letsbuy.com price of 55,899/- + 5% coupon discount, but for being their regular/loyal customer
they offered me HD set top box free worth Rs 1699/- (+ Rs 400 free viewing), plus they gave me United Colors Of Benetton eye-wear worth Rs 4990/- free, plus 50 movies pack worth Rs 1999/- .

So Price minus Freebies = 56,500 - (1699+400+4990+1999)
= Rs 47,412/- :yahoo:

Samsung does provide extended Warranty, price not confirmed for the same.

I took 0% Bajaj finance offer -->Paid Rs 30,000/- as Down Payment rest in 10 installments.

Guys i will definitely report back with the installation and PQ experience with pics n all.

Once again thanks to everyone and HIFIVISION.

Last edited:
One thing Iam sure you will love is SD picture processing. I have moved my B450 to bedroom and I can vouch for superiority of B450 compared to VT20.

HD is gonna look awesome anyways.

I think you are the only owner now though.. :D :D

One thing Iam sure you will love is SD picture processing. I have moved my B450 to bedroom and I can vouch for superiority of B450 compared to VT20.

HD is gonna look awesome anyways.

I think you are the only owner now though.. :D :D

Thats why i started the owners thread to know if there are any Samsung 51D490 owners yet on this forum :)

Reflection is an issue with this set but i hope PQ etc comes good in my dedicated HT room which is quite dark.

The price point at which this 51 incher is available, surely a deal maker for this set.

D490 is a Really Great set,..younger brother of the famous D550..Little reflection & u need a little conditioning of light....then u r Good to go to enjoy the super D550.Demoed the tv while buying my 51D550..speaking from experience!

D490 is a Really Great set,..younger brother of the famous D550..Little reflection & u need a little conditioning of light....then u r Good to go to enjoy the super D550.Demoed the tv while buying my 51D550..speaking from experience!

Check his HT room pics in the signature.. No chance of light in that room.. Leave alone reflection.. ;)

I also very much liked the PQ quality of 43D490 which was initially my first choice, but the size does indeed matter, moving to a 50 incher from 32 incher LCD is a huge upgrade to me. B'coz after watching movies on my 84 inch screen Projector setup i always felt the need of a bigger screen for my TV. And now this TV also plays 3D movies, so now i am going to enjoy watching movies on my TV also.

I have a rear lighting system above my TV hope that would also let me enjoy Plasma with some light on also.

Regards

Check his HT room pics in the signature.. No chance of light in that room.. Leave alone reflection.. ;)

Yup, no ambient light problem in my room, even the walls will absorb the light, the only point of reflection is the white ceiling which usually have very very little side effect, which doesn't even bother me while watching movies on my PJ.

regards

Congrats Mandeep,

I am planning to buy this TV. Would be waiting for ur review. I am particularly interested in the SD quality of DTH/Cable.

Good news guys i got the Videocon D2H installation today in the morning itself, videocon even have a 3D channel, its in testing stage will be available soon , as told by the installation team.:yahoo:

WOW! this is really great, keep up the good work Videocon:clapping:

Thanks blasto for pointing out to & @mandeep,...yeah,i was ignorant of ur HT setup,...but 1 thing i would have advised...why didn't u go for 51d550 ?...particularly when u have gone for Samsung pdp & have spent a fortune in money & effort to make ur New HT room?...whatever ur HT Room is pristine & any Good Pdp including D490should Diplay its Best there!...Congrats anyway!!:thumbsup:

Congratulations dear. That's great price you got. do post reviews, specially how's 3d picture. And yes, you are right. Size does matter, specially when you are looking at 3d content.

Thanks blasto for pointing out to & @mandeep,...yeah,i was ignorant of ur HT setup,...but 1 thing i would have advised...why didn't u go for 51d550 ?...particularly when u have gone for Samsung pdp & have spent a fortune in money & effort to make ur New HT room?...whatever ur HT Room is pristine & any Good Pdp including D490should Diplay its Best there!...Congrats anyway!!:thumbsup:

Thanks indiglo,

Actually my first choice was Samsung 43D490 b'coz i had in mind that technology will change soon to glasses free /goggle less plasma Tv's soon so wanted to save 15-20 thousand in the process, but when i went to the shop with my brother he changed my mind to at-least go for a 50 incher. This is the whole story behind it.

The life of a TV in a dedicated HT room is 3-4 years only in my opinion so thought to go for a cheap-n-best option.

P.S: Already I have become a big fan of the idea of glassless 3D TV's and 3D tech in general.

regards

Congratulations dear. That's great price you got. do post reviews, specially how's 3d picture. And yes, you are right. Size does matter, specially when you are looking at 3d content.

Thanks buddy,

Definitely i will put my review here.

The installation was done yesterday evening, PQ of SD/HD channels is great same as told by BLASTO also, Bluray movies looked superb, didn't get much time to watch any 3D material as yet. Will post my complete experience after watching Avatar 3D SBS MKV 16GB file played thro' POPCORN HOUR A210.

Regards

Last edited:
@BLASTO

Would this work and are there any precautions to follow using service menu. what is SVC?

2011 "D" Models :

While the TV is in standby mode:

Press the {MUTE}, {1}, {8}, {2} & {POWER} buttons.

The TV will turn on with the Service Menu displayed.

Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "SVC"

"PANEL DISPLAY TIME" will be one of the items listed.

To exit, press the {POWER} button.

NOTE: After exiting, all picture settings will be reset to default values. So make sure to write down custom adjustments before accessing the Service Menu

@BLASTO

Would this work and are there any precautions to follow using service menu. what is SVC?

2011 "D" Models :

While the TV is in standby mode:

Press the {MUTE}, {1}, {8}, {2} & {POWER} buttons.

The TV will turn on with the Service Menu displayed.

Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "SVC"

"PANEL DISPLAY TIME" will be one of the items listed.

To exit, press the {POWER} button.

NOTE: After exiting, all picture settings will be reset to default values. So make sure to write down custom adjustments before accessing the Service Menu

Iam not sure of the procedure for D series. Lookup in the net.

@ BLASTO, Vikram and others

Can u please share the picture settings in detail ( contrast, brightness etc ) you are using for ur plasma for the initial hundred hours.

thanks in advance

@Vista

I have also purchased 51D490 few days ago and let me share my experience with 3D. I downloaded few demo videos and 3D effects were good. You can really feel the depth and when things jump out of screen it is enjoyable specially for kids.
But yesterday I saw IMAX Dolphins and Whales 3D and it was awesome...I bought this TV just for its PQ and considered 3D as just a free add on. I thought its just a gimmick and maybe my expectations were low to begin with. But after watching that documentary, I was blown away! Now consider that I have not owned a 3D TV before and haven't demoed other brand's 3D feature. So I don't have anything to compare it with. But overall I am very satisfied with the performance. Now I haven't used it for more than half hour so not sure if using it for longer periods gives eye strain or headaches. I will update here if I feel anything like that in future.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back