Samsung A450 vs Panasonic PV80

Folks,
great discussion and hats off for your perseverence Madbul,

Even i am in the market for my original requirement of 32" HD ready TV..() off topic, sorry.. I will post in another thread)..
What i want to know pertinent to this thread are:
1. Plasmas are power guzzlers (350W/hour).. average 5 hours of viewing in my house. (close to 2 units of electricity per day = 60 units per month on the lower side)
Assuming electricity at around 7 rs it would amount to approx 450rs per month. ANy thoughts?

2. Plasmas give their best output only after around 30 minutes of switching as the plasma gas has to arrive at a stable temperature. What are your comments on the picture quality within the warm up time (i mean within 30 minutes from switch on time ). Is the difference noticeable?

3. Where can I buy this unit for the 45K benchmark price? people keep talking about one devi electronics in bangalore. where is it and contact details please.
Regards
Murali

Regards
Murali

Murali

In the latest generation plasmas, there is not that much of a difference in power consumption compared to LCDs. And plasmas would give you better picture quality than an LCD anyday, unless you are comparing them with very high end LCDs costing more than a lakh for a 40 inch unit. Even an entry level SD plasma (852x480) would give you excellent picture quality for normal TV viewing and DVDs, since even DVDs are of 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC) resolution.

As for Devi Electronics, you can contact one Mr. Niranjan on 99003 41973. Once you say you're part of the Panasonic plasma group from the forum, you will get a good price. They would also be able to deliver outside Bangalore, since the delivery would be direct from Panasonic in the concerned city.

As for the benchmark price, JD Electronics Hyderabad (with branches in other cities too) has offered the best price so far. If you are in Chennai, they have an outlet at Kilpauk and the contact details can be found earlier in this thread. Madbullram got his PV8 from them and he's quite happy. Plus he's got the special price for the forum folks !!

Hope that helps.

Warm regards,
Venkat

Last edited:
hey Venkat, there is still a considerable difference in power consumption, i think plasmas still consume about double the amount of power an LCD consumes. THey do of course come with "power-saver" modes that save on consumption at a slight cost to the picture, but in their default states, they still consume more power than the LCDs.

but ya, for pictures, at budget price points, you can't beat a plasma.

Murali

In the latest generation plasmas, there is not that much of a difference in power consumption compared to LCDs.

I've never heard this before, and I suspect it might be part of the general stories going on about Plasmas......i'm sure everyone's heard the "the gas needs to be refilled every two years"....or...."if the gas leaks, it is finished" stories....

There is absolutely no difference in the picture from when it is switched on and 30 minutes later. At least, none that I have observed. Both immediately after it is switched on, and 30 minutes after it is switched on, it will give you a better picture than a comparable LCD :)

Folks,

2. Plasmas give their best output only after around 30 minutes of switching as the plasma gas has to arrive at a stable temperature. What are your comments on the picture quality within the warm up time (i mean within 30 minutes from switch on time ). Is the difference noticeable?

Folks,
great discussion and hats off for your perseverence Madbul,

3. Where can I buy this unit for the 45K benchmark price? people keep talking about one devi electronics in bangalore. where is it and contact details please.
Regards
Murali

Regards
Murali

45K is JD Electronics, Devi si 48K. You can see the contact details in the price thread @ http://www.hifivision.com/television/3176-price-thread.html

You can use my name or our forum name with Vaibhav of JD Electronics to get the price and they will deliver to you.

I was glad to get a call from Panasonic asking me when to come for wall mounting. Looks like JD electronics logged a call for installation though their delivery guys themself installed the Plasma on the stand (they are trained for this nice).

Told them to come next week as the painting is not yet complete.

P.S: It was fun watching Arasi in 42 inch LOL my mom is super happy

HI Guys
It has been nice reading through the posts,
time is coming to buy another plasma tv for me.

Visited the panasonic showroom, prices have come down, they are offering PV8 for 47k and PV80 for 50K.

Prices for 50" sets have come down, and is costing around 95k.

As i already have a samsung Q9, planning to switch brands and try out Panasonic this time, have to decide between Pv8 and Pv80.

Heard few members tell that PV80 is sold as Px80 abroad, will search and read reviews on the same.

Only thing i am wondering is if there is any difference between my current Sammy Q9 and the Pv80 i am planning to buy as on paper both have same features and contrast ratio, same 3 HDMI ports,

Only thing which the Panasonic showroom guy was bragging about is that the panel is made in Japan and is very good, other manufacturers use korean and other countries panel ,

Anyways, as this is not a purchase to be made in hurry i will need to take time and decide,

Last edited:
Hi All,
This is my first post on this forum after being a mute spectator for may be near to 4 months. I was going through all sorts of dilemma and confusion most of the new buyers seem to go through before spending their money on a Plasma or LCD.

At last a month back , I along with my wifey decided to sit down and make a decision over a weekend by visiting and testing all the electronics showrooms. The contenders are

1. Sony Bravia 37" W series
2. Samsung A550 37"
3. Panasonic 42" PV8/PV80
4. LG Scarlet series.

Budgeted amount - 50K. Can stretch upto 55K max.

Panasonic clearly came out winner among the listed due to its value for money, PQ in SD and its very natural reproduction of colors.

After a month of ownership, I feel this is the best product I got for the money I invested in till date.

ubsmart, welcome to the plasma club, yes you have made and excellent choice, pv8 or pv80 both are great sets that are VFM.They have excellent reviews and produce great blacks.

Just be careful during the first 100 hours of running in and keep the settings on the lower side to avoid image burn in.

Dushie,
Thank you.

Yes, I have taken care during the first 100 hours. I went through lot of research and I stumbled upon this website which recommends the settings for avoiding the burn-in scenario during the first 100 hours. But, I am now used to those settings and felt they are the perfect for a living room viewing and continuing with the same.

Panasonic TH42PX80 Best Settings After Calibration

Back