Samsung E470 or Panasonic X50

@Just4Kix..

Did you go and demoed the samsung E470/490 personally?
Can you post your comments?

I am trying to validate what i saw today.
E looks like a step back from the D.

Did anyone have a side by side demo?

Things I noted,
Lesser blacks, Not sharp (dunno why HD content looked streched), colours could be better, absolutely useless real black filter (glare same as D).

Am I alone?

P.S: Demo location : Samsung plaza opp cyber towers Hyderabad. They had them both side by side.
I saw the demo of E450 (not 470) at Samsung Plaza near Sakal Nagar, Pune. But the demo was brief and since I was more interested in the 51", I did not pay adequate attention. But my opinion was as follows:
  • I have no frame of reference comparison with 'D' series and I do not claim to be a videophile
  • The glass was very reflective and the TV was installed right opposite to the main (massive) glass door entrance. Do not know why plasma's are displayed in the least advantageous positions
  • The SD was OK, HD was better but not as good as the 51E550
  • Hardly any multi-brand shop stocks closely competing models and puts them side by side. Perhaps manufacturers frown on this and maybe taking punitive actions.

Now that is worrying. specially since demoing Plazma is very difficult thing. I inquired at Maharashtra Electronics Store Pune. E470 is out of stock. So is the case with Vijay Sales. Not sure then how to demo them side by side. Samsung Plaza even not having E470 forget about D series.

Even Rajesh Trading Company not having 42X50. He has 42XT50 for 48 K.

Sanket.
Check about availability. XT50 and X50 are same except for 3D feature.

Okey.. Here is news..
From the website, it looks like the aspect ratios are brought down in the 51" model to 1024*728 from actual 720p of the D450.

This is an overwhelming change and the panel is completely different gen -1. Please note.

I checked the Panasonic 50" and they were no different also. In short, there is NO real 720p in the 2012 plasma models. Thats a bummer.
Isn't 1024x768 correct for 4:3 ratio?

Both are having same resolution....

I bought a Panasonic X50D last month after having looked at other competing brands models. I am pretty pleased with my decision - if you are going for plasma - then Panasonic it is - no doubt. All that you will have to sacrifice is a little bit of slim design etc - which is worth with what you get in terms of performance. Also the 3 year warranty should clinch the deal imo.

best,

A

I bought a Panasonic X50D last month after having looked at other competing brands models. I am pretty pleased with my decision - if you are going for plasma - then Panasonic it is - no doubt. All that you will have to sacrifice is a little bit of slim design etc - which is worth with what you get in terms of performance. Also the 3 year warranty should clinch the deal imo.

best,

A

but 42x50d is not available here at Bhopal.

I own the 50XT50 and I too am confused about this Pixel discussion. this is not the only post where I have seen this. On few sites I have seen 720p being mentioned for this model so a bit confusing.

However my take on this TV is that for SD it should not make any difference. Even for HD unless you are sitting less than 6 feet away it should not make any difference.

I have watched BD on this screen and I didnt remember my earlier 1080p was any different - again this is for casual viewing - not for dark room watching.

About the pixel thingy..

Hope I created confusion here.

The 2011 models of 720 plasma came in 2 resolutions.
42" with 1024 * 768
and
50" with 1280 * 720

Both were called 720p. The 42" were is not exactly 16:9 but 3:4. To display these in rectangular shape, the individual pixels were rectangular. The 50" were 'proper' square pixels with 16:9 ratio. The HD content had to be resixed to fit into the 720p

Now in 2012 models, both are 1024 * 768.

Without a frame of reference, the HD might look ok. But when I checked 50D450 vs 50E470 side by side, there was clearly visible differences of D450 being sharper and more natural because it did not make 16:9 video into 1024 * 768 and displayed by applying an algorithm unlike the newer E series.

Actually I did not notice anything when the E470 was alone running. Then I asked them to switch on the D450 and there was difference in every level after setting them to same settings.

I did not even knew they had different resolutions until I came home and checked their sites.

Hope it clears.

Blasto,

Does all this matter for someone who is buying a FHD 1,920 (W) x 1,080 (H) 50" Plasma ?

I personnaly demoed that so called semi hd actally 1024*768 panny plasmas.....was very much nice in quality.no worry about not having higher pixels.....one of my friends bought it and is quite happy with it.
online they are avilable at 36k with 3 years panasonic india manufacture warrannty and at 32k on seller warranty.persons not having it in thier cities can online buy it.

About 3 year warranty...

With due respect to 'warranty'ers (!), considering the brands we are comparing here (SS and PS), and the quantum of warranty on offer, I do not think warranty can be deciding factor or even a factor.

yes. Its 40K + investment, its always better to have extended warranty, etc arguments are there. But if you let this affect your decision, it shows you are buying product because of warranty and not because the manufacturer is reliable.

Another point is warranty is not substantial, say 7 years like AKAI/SANSUI used to offer on their 29" TVs to increase their offtake.

Waranty is a factor, for example, when say a lessor known brand in that category, say XYZ here, offers (almost) equivalent/compelling quality and also offers substantial more warranty, by a few years such as 5/7, since its perceived to be less reliable. Then this warranty could be compelling factor to consider XYZ's offering (all other factors remaining same, except brand's reliability !)

And I have read in this very forum that some TVs (both SS and PS) broke - cracked - under their own weight and manufacturer refused to replace it. Then what use is the warranty. Regarding this cracking due to weight, is it better to use stand or get it wall-mounted ?

Can someone please elaborate what warranty covers and is there any fineprint/catch/conditions ?

Thanks.

Well said. Panasonic is offering 2 years extended warranty on plasma only. That is because plasma sales are plumetting. Also the extended warranty is in India only.

It is also true that warranty is not honoured in many cases. But that is true for all manufacturers of all goods - not just TV. They will often say that warranty does not cover mishandling and try to point the fault to you.

My purchase decision was solely based on quality and VFM and not warranty.

Hi all...
This is becoming a very difficult choice...should i go for E470 or X50? I felt both looks good...am not an expert to find much differences. Both come for almost same price...am not able to decide on one of it. Can someone help me?

Finally I booked 43E490 yesterday :yahoo:

Price: Rs 44900/-
Offer: 3D BD + 1 3D movie
Bajaj finance offered me to get one year extended warranty at price 2250/-

Last edited:
Congrats. That is a good price. Please post pics and review. Also let us know your views on panel reflections.

About 3 year warranty...

With due respect to 'warranty'ers (!), considering the brands we are comparing here (SS and PS), and the quantum of warranty on offer, I do not think warranty can be deciding factor or even a factor.

yes. Its 40K + investment, its always better to have extended warranty, etc arguments are there. But if you let this affect your decision, it shows you are buying product because of warranty and not because the manufacturer is reliable.

Another point is warranty is not substantial, say 7 years like AKAI/SANSUI used to offer on their 29" TVs to increase their offtake.

Waranty is a factor, for example, when say a lessor known brand in that category, say XYZ here, offers (almost) equivalent/compelling quality and also offers substantial more warranty, by a few years such as 5/7, since its perceived to be less reliable. Then this warranty could be compelling factor to consider XYZ's offering (all other factors remaining same, except brand's reliability !)

And I have read in this very forum that some TVs (both SS and PS) broke - cracked - under their own weight and manufacturer refused to replace it. Then what use is the warranty. Regarding this cracking due to weight, is it better to use stand or get it wall-mounted ?

Can someone please elaborate what warranty covers and is there any fineprint/catch/conditions ?

Thanks.

Hi,
I agree with you have to say. Warranty should not be the sole criteria for buying a product. The reason for choosing a good plasma - entry level one - should also be other features the product has to offer - definitely!! What I was saying was that given that Panasonic has improved their entry level offerings this year and also given that their focus on R&D in plasma technology is definitely superior to other brands - it should be a clincher. Your are spot on when you say warranty period is just an add on.:clapping:

hi again.

Auditioned X50 and E490. Was not impressed by X50 as I was by E490 (but i will be considering E470. Nobody has 470 on display). I think for 7-9 Feet, 43 will start looking smaller after few days. I checked from exact 8 feets and 42/3 was looking bit smaller. Though this can be said about any size, I am thinking of going by "Go for largest affordable model you can buy". 51 will be overwhelming for first few days may be but still. We dont buy these things often.

50X50 is being quoted at 62 K.

All samsung dealers showing some sheet where last column for 51E470 shows 55 K and they are not giving any freebies or going down below this so called SRP - samsung retail price. But today Samsung has launched a scheme of Rs 8 down payment and rest by 15 EMI without any advance EMI. This again suits me. Hope there is no catch in this scheme.

Finally, does buying a UPS eliminate need for surge protector ? UPS will have only 2-3 ports wheras Belkin Surge protector come in 4/6/8 ports. Will come in handy in future when need to go for HT/AVR.

Any other thing to take care of ? Do they open package in shop or directly in our home ?

Any other potential SS buyer from Pune :) ?

Finally I booked 43E490 yesterday :yahoo:

Price: Rs 44900/-
Offer: 3D BD + 1 3D movie
Bajaj finance offered me to get one year extended warranty at price 2250/-

Congratulations!! You've given me some good news about the 1 yr extended warranty from Bajaj Finance. Need to find out if it's given here in Hyd too. Atleast now there is a possible 2 yr warranty for Samsung plasmas. :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back