Samsung E470 or Panasonic X50

P X50 is not real black panel but S E470 is real black panel. Is that correct ? if so, isnt E470 having edge in this ?

I agree that Panasonic is the last word in plazma technology. But are all those R&D inventions being put into its entry-level plazmas by Panasonic ? I dont think so. Above point (my query above, if correct) is example of that.

Dude, it's "plasma" and not "plazma".

And go with your instincts and liking and not reputation and opinions. Samsung is not a bad name either. So if you like 470 over X50, go for it. But I would advise 490 instead (even if you don't need 3D) because you will get a free 3D BDP in bargain.

P X50 is not real black panel but S E470 is real black panel. Is that correct ? if so, isnt E470 having edge in this ?

I compared E470 with D490 and E470 was worser. D490 is an yester year samsung plasma and it was not real black or anything. Its just marketing.

I agree that Panasonic is the last word in plazma technology. But are all those R&D inventions being put into its entry-level plazmas by Panasonic ?

Not much innovation in the non neopdp panels. ST, GT, VT gets better and better every year but XT and UT are almost same. This year though UT is praised to have got the blacks of ST but is an underdog in the daylight.

@just4kix : as I am going for 50/51, I think 490 will slightly go over budget for features I am not considering (3D).

@BLASTO : Rightly said, all the innovation of Panny is atleast of no use to me if the model I am considering is not getting benefitted.

From PQ + panel perspective, is there any difference between 470 and 490 ?

Will be going for another demo of Panny X50, this time to different dealer.

What would be the best price for 50X50 in Pune ? Everybody quoting 60K + :(

@just4kix : as I am going for 50/51, I think 490 will slightly go over budget for features I am not considering (3D).

@BLASTO : Rightly said, all the innovation of Panny is atleast of no use to me if the model I am considering is not getting benefitted.

From PQ + panel perspective, is there any difference between 470 and 490 ?

Will be going for another demo of Panny X50, this time to different dealer.

What would be the best price for 50X50 in Pune ? Everybody quoting 60K + :(

@Sanky, Did you check Croma? They have 51D490 with 2 glasses for 49k. It is real 720p while 51E470 and 50X50 are 1028*768.

Last edited:
about liking go for ur instincts and not by suggestions.but in pana panle u will be getting 3 yrs warranty.but not in sammy.now its ur call.

But that warranty is half-hearted, it seems. Its not applicable on panel for complete 3 years. Also another forum member facing issues with replacing set for his dead pixel. I have almost ruled out Panny but will just do a demo on Wednesday, just to be sure..

@Blasto: thanks for suggestion. I will visit Croma on 15th. Which one specifically ? also about this Real Black Panel thing, Samsung/ie/ website says E470 is having this feature, while D490 is not.

about UPS: APC 600VA a good choice ? It has circuit breaker and AVR (auto. voltage regulator). Will it be sufficient for 51 incher and HT for future. If I get even 3 minutes to shut everything off, then I am fine. I am not looking for backup as such.

Regards
Sanket.

Last edited:
With 490, you will get a 3D BDP worth 11K free. Think about that.

Unlike Panasonic's HT offer worth 15K (as claimed by Panasonic), this is a real gift.

With 490, you will get a 3D BDP worth 11K free. Think about that.

Unlike Panasonic's HT offer worth 15K (as claimed by Panasonic), this is a real gift.

yes as per Blasto and your advice, I am considering this also. Will they give 5.1 speaker of samsung costing around same instead of BDP ? will be more utilised !

You can take my Panasonic ht for 6k. It is not delivered yet and you will get it sealed. It should suffice you.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

@Blasto: I tried calling Pune Croma stores but their website does not show individual store number but shows CC number where they told me that D490 is not available. Were you talking about Croma store in Pune ? if yes, which one specifically ?

@all:
I am most likely going to book 51E470 on 15th itself. so please advise:

1. is 600 KV APC UPS with AVR good enough ? I just want 2/3 minutes to switch off the TV correctly and voltage regulation and not looking for longer backup as such. Or is the stabilizer + Belkin Surge Protector combo advisable ?

2. Room lighting:
2.1 - I have a tubelight right against the wall where I am planning to mount the TV. So will it affect the viewing experience and would I be better off switching off this Tubelight ?
2.2 - I have electric socket on the same wall as planned TV wall (right above it). So should I install some CFL and use it while watching TV ?
2.3 - Any other solution is welcome (may be some kind of bulb/wall light, which in fact may help enhance TV viewing experience, any color which may help enhance contrast, etc? )

Sanket.

about lighting dont hurry.that is as per ur liking at the end,so do it slowly.be lazy.

about power supply there are many threads in the forum.what I read,,,,is normal pc ups are never recomended for home theter divice.as for those device pure sine wave ups is recomended..which are costly around 8k for 700 VA.
normal pc ups around 3k are recomended for pc only.

so in my opinion please take advice from the gurus throughly before power supply stuffs.
I run my systems directly via a heavy duty belkin surge protector..........
best is undoubtedly pure sine wave ups...but as said they are pretty costly.but dont use pc ups they can damage normal electronics..

@prosenjit: Oh that was very useful and timely. Thanks. I will take lighting as and when it comes. No need to hurry really.

For UPS, if sine wave recommended, still can someone post some links to suitable UPS with this SINE wave + AVR ? I will still try to buy it with EMI :) EMI indeed determines affordability ! Regret guidance on this sine wave thing as I am not familiar with sine wave UPSes. I did not even know such classification exists.

Sanket.

Last edited:
@Blasto: I tried calling Pune Croma stores but their website does not show individual store number but shows CC number where they told me that D490 is not available. Were you talking about Croma store in Pune ? if yes, which one specifically ?

@all:
I am most likely going to book 51E470 on 15th itself. so please advise:

1. is 600 KV APC UPS with AVR good enough ? I just want 2/3 minutes to switch off the TV correctly and voltage regulation and not looking for longer backup as such. Or is the stabilizer + Belkin Surge Protector combo advisable ?

2. Room lighting:
2.1 - I have a tubelight right against the wall where I am planning to mount the TV. So will it affect the viewing experience and would I be better off switching off this Tubelight ?
2.2 - I have electric socket on the same wall as planned TV wall (right above it). So should I install some CFL and use it while watching TV ?
2.3 - Any other solution is welcome (may be some kind of bulb/wall light, which in fact may help enhance TV viewing experience, any color which may help enhance contrast, etc? )

Sanket.

Hi Sanky,

Sorry I did not go through your posts entirely. Whare are you planning to place the TV? Hall or bed room? Have you got enough options to cover the windows with drapes? Do you have windows facing the TV?

Regarding lighting, the yellow bulbs/decorative lights/false ceiling increase the appeal and brings out eh best in colours and black level. The tube light mostly hampers. Sun light kills the plasma of contrast.

So if you have the window facing the TV, be very careful to cover it up with drapes or better choose a LCD/LED.

@Sanky, the croma store is the one in hyderabad. But they do send between cromas all over india and you can collect from there.

Call your branch tomorrow and say that Hyderabas Jubilee hills branch Croma has 50D490 for 50k. If you want I can talk with them and check the possibility of sending one unit to pune branch.

@prosenjit: Oh that was very useful and timely. Thanks. I will take lighting as and when it comes. No need to hurry really.

For UPS, if sine wave recommended, still can someone post some links to suitable UPS with this SINE wave + AVR ? I will still try to buy it with EMI :) EMI indeed determines affordability ! Regret guidance on this sine wave thing as I am not familiar with sine wave UPSes. I did not even know such classification exists.

Sanket.

pure sine wave ups alone is enough...other wise avr+surge prtector combo is good.no need to use pure sine wave ups+avr.check ebay online or ur local stores.but e bay u may get it in emi..........locally that kind of stuff is difficult in emi.
if you do not need back up.then good avr+belkin surge protector is good enough really.do not spend much in pure sine wave ups.

There has been lots of issues that people have been reporting regarding Panny X50. Can other owners also give there opinion?
I am looking to buy a flat panel for next 5 years atleast. And looking at all the issues being reported i am getting lil skeptical on plasma. Panny X50 reporting lots of issues and few people saying Sammy 2012 models doesn't have any improvement from last year...infact 2011 model was better. Can experts provide ur opinion.
My budget it about 40k and i dont plan to change the tv for next 5 years.

@Sanky, the croma store is the one in hyderabad. But they do send between cromas all over india and you can collect from there.

Call your branch tomorrow and say that Hyderabas Jubilee hills branch Croma has 50D490 for 50k. If you want I can talk with them and check the possibility of sending one unit to pune branch.

thanks BLASTO. Croma store number is not available they redirect to CC number where executive said such transfer is not allowed.

About lighting - I have big window adjacent to wall where i want to mount TV. But i have bought thick curtains for same. I will first install TV and then decide about CFL/Yellow/other lights as suggested by you all.

As of now ruling out P X50 altogether. Dont see other option then 51E470.

hi all

about surge protector or UPS, what kind of socket i should be looking for ? 5Amp or 15Amp ? Belkin 8 Surge protector supports Samsung Plasma or do we have to buy converters ?

Regards
Sanket.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back