scams in the name of audio quality

One thing is for sure "Vinyl" is a scam. It is like saying a bullock card is superior mode of transport than a Maruti car! People like to spend crazy amount of money on a thing that sounds like a AHUJA Public address system... LOL

One thing is for sure "Vinyl" is a scam. It is like saying a bullock card is superior mode of transport than a Maruti car! People like to spend crazy amount of money on a thing that sounds like a AHUJA Public address system... LOL

I understand you had a lousy experience with vinyl. If possible, and if you have the inclination, try to hear a decently set up vinyl rig. It does have its own positive traits.

Yeah .. alternative ways are there to achieve similar sound..
Main stream music is generally made for playback on phones..
There's something called loudness war in the music production industry. Which deteriorates the sound quality.
True. just because of loudness war, the new gen music lost its dynamic range. Now Dynamic range is gaining momentum. Past April 27th was dynamic range day :)

I think with vinyl the source better be awesome else it's not worth it I think. When I had the sonodyne Uranus system in my past life, it sounded amazing as I used to buy brand new records that had very good source for pressing and no digital touch up. I am yet to experience a good even half decent vinyl setup including mine. If one looks up YouTube channels that record vinyl setup's displaying various different aspects of vinyl, you can hear it's amazing quality and appreciate the sound. Which leads me to believe that a good source is the trick to get amazing performance which can lead to a very expensive proposition.

Depends on where you are going...

:))

Lot of us are 'digitally spoilt' . There exists a world beyond THD percentages, SNR numbers and RMS values! For those of them who seek to open up their mind, this Analog world has a bounty beyond imagination. For the rest of them, it will always be a AHUJA PA system :D

I have listened to a very well setup pure analogue audio chain with turntable and tube amps and again the same amp n speakers on a very good DAC and also Metronome Kalista CD player.

The common starting point in either chain was the source quality. As long as the source quality was topnotch in either of them, the sound quality was equally good.

The turntable does have a little heavier presentation over the entire bandwidth with an added warmth to the mids (which is more evident in the vocals), while the digital is much more airy and cleaner.
Unlike as is usually said, I found the digital background that much more quieter thereby moving the stage a tad deeper, higher and wider.

But on a percentage basis, degradation in source quality affects the digital chain more than the analogue.

it is matter of enjoyment when you have a perfectly setup chain.
The choice of turntable or a digital medium according to me is purely a matter of taste.

Both turntable and CD mechanisms do suffer from mechanical, resonance and other challenges and can be quite expensive to overcome by design.
This is where the songs played from a flash drive or a SSD have a great advantage as there are only certain electrical and package streaming issues that are easily overcome by very cheap implementation.

But on a percentage basis, degradation in source quality affects the digital chain more than the analogue.

I believe degradation in source quality affects analog and digital chains equally.

Degradation in source quality affects sensitive speaker systems and systems that offer end to end fidelity. Where as the not so sensitive and/ or systems with compromised lo and hi end continue to sound melodious with compromised source quality. e.g. Radio.

If you have degraded source, the only option is to listen to it at as low volume as possible.

Talking of Vinyls, if the source is scarce, it would not make sense as a new investment.....and source IS SCARCE!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

I believe degradation in source quality affects analog and digital chains equally.
Let me elaborate on this.
A poorly pressed Vinyl can sound congested and not cover the full bandwidth, an original pressed Vinyl with some surface issues can still sound full and good but maybe with some pick up noises and skips.
With digital the recording itself can have distortion depending on the mastering source, download source extent of compression etc.
The fate of a CD is similar to a Vinyl.

That is what I meant by degradation in source quality, but your point is absolutely valid that poor source can make the components irrelevant.

Those who like warm sound or into tubes like F2 its also a distortion hope all will agree but may or maynot understand what I mean to say.

Those who are into vinyl I dont want to discourage but they lack in actual highs and lows .

Here are a few samples i found on YouTube, that i would mind having these vinyl in good condition.No clicks and pops and very much clear. Vinyl done right might have it's own advantages. The only trouble is if you cant source the music you like, it's just listening to good sounds with no emotional value.

High sensitive speakers are required only for tube amplifiers SS state dont have any issue of speakers.

Vinyls are not for everyone. It takes a lot of understanding and patience to setup a decent vinyl setup. For those who are looking for background music should not consider them. It's for serious listeners.

I understand you had a lousy experience with vinyl. If possible, and if you have the inclination, try to hear a decently set up vinyl rig. It does have its own positive traits.
But we must hand it over to the "scamsters "its seems to be a very successful scam.

The very fact that Vinyl has survived inspite of the ease of using dlgital music proves its versatality.
It is beyond doubt the most organic way of music reproduction.
It is no doubt more expensive to implement and maintain, so purely an individuals choice.
Again the benefits over digital medium too is very petsonal. I find it to be more of a hype.
Digital music reproduction quality has come a long way, equally good to Vinyl if not better, and most importantly affordable.

Statements like Vinyl is for seriors listeners etc. or on tbe other extreme, out and out bashing of Vinyl are highly misplaced.

The very fact that Vinyl has survived inspite of the ease of using dlgital music proves its versatality.
It is beyond doubt the most organic way of music reproduction.
It is no doubt more expensive to implement and maintain, so purely an individuals choice.
Again the benefits over digital medium too is very petsonal. I find it to be more of a hype.
Digital music reproduction quality has come a long way, equally good to Vinyl if not better, and most importantly affordable.

Statements like Vinyl is for seriors listeners etc. or on tbe other extreme, out and out bashing of Vinyl are highly misplaced.

+1
It is also to be noted that music in its truest sense is Analog. Most authentic musical instruments undergo a loss right away when they are even recorded! Thanks to ADC. Even the most sophisticated and accurate ADC still applies the basic theory of sampling ! So whatever you hear via a digital medium is never 100% authentic (purely theoretical sense)
Now that doesn’t mean that Analog is superior to digital or it won’t have losses. Analog reproduction equipments have many other factors to rob the music of its original fidelity , but atleast there is no conversion loss akin to digital .

Analog reproduction equipments have many other factors to rob the music of its original fidelity , but atleast there is no conversion loss akin to digital .
Nowadays, I don't know how even the first Vinyl pressing is done and from what source. Is there a separate recording session for Vinyl in a studio or is it done from a digitized master.
If from a digital master, then it is no more pure Vinyl.
Secondly, many music producers are resorting to more of digital medium for creating music which is clearly robbing the timbre from the real instrument, the skin effect from a guitar pluck, the dynamics of multiple string instruments or the muscle behind a tabla stoke.
The world of music is slowly and steadily missing out on the human ensemble of instrumentalists that brought out all the musical magic of the likes of Illayaraja, MSV, SDB and the likes.

Is there a separate recording session for Vinyl in a studio or is it done from a digitized master.
I think Jack White records in both analogue and digital. Don't know the technical details of first raw recordings. Must be analogue tapes. Then converted to high res digital format along with separate analogue mastering for vinyls. May be some other american artists too record with old equipments. One of the Jack whites album was a novelty item. Forgot its name.
regards

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back