Schiit Bifrost Multibit - Customs ????

vikramdesigner

Hey Guys,

Planning to get this Schiit Bifrost Multibit -US

Any idea, how much i have to pay customs?

ie : $599(dac) +$59 (fedex shipping) + Customs :sad:??? = Total?????

Thanks
Vikram

Still cheap actually. If you go with local D&D the prices are nearly 80% more, sometimes even more.

You might get lucky and avoid customs too.

Vinay,
You were thinking of getting Schiit M2U via international import?
If you went this route, please share your experience.
Cheers,
Raghu

Vikram,
If you are not hung up on multi-bit, check out the used BiFrost (assuming FM JayRaa is local).
Cheers,
Raghu

30% and a bit more if the customs official pleases. I imported my Emotiva DC-1 and had to pay about 12k on duties.
While the actual price of the product was about 30K odd.

DHL / FedEx you should expect a maximum of ~50% as duty and clearance charges. Recently I bought few Audio CDs and DHL charged 50% as total duty, but earlier purchases from the same online site shipped through normal post came without any duty!

Even then whoever is coming could be charged if found out, not the best idea unfortunately. Better to import in my opinion, use Borderlinx or other similar services to get the paperwork headache taken care of.

Even then whoever is coming could be charged if found out, not the best idea unfortunately. Better to import in my opinion, use Borderlinx or other similar services to get the paperwork headache taken care of.

+1

or ishopinternational

bifrost import post on hfv

ciao
gr

The same item I got it delivered to my friend in US and he brought to India. Fortunately there is no custom paid for this (unless many other electronic items are carried along with this, i am sure this will escape the Airport custom easily).

One another option is getting it delivered to friends in Singapore and get it from there (In general you may have more people traveling frequently in this route). I have bought couple of items from Amazon with this option (though small items like Harmony remote, Nuforce BTR-100), where there is no custom duty in Singapore (and in my case, there is a Amazon promotion which had free delivery to Singapore).

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Ill better find some one who is coming from US.

There is another way, don't use any courier service.
Use EMS, and ask Schiit to attach invoice of let's say $100.
Track the shipment carefully, it's good that you are located in B'lore. Once it reaches Bangalore GPO, go there and clear the custom, you will get it delivered to your home not more than 15 days.
You will end up paying 2/3 K max.

I tried Borderlinx and ishopinternational their shipping and tax duty comes upto $250, in that case i can directly order from schiit website lol. may cost $200 extra

@music4mhell

I tried that too but they wont put false price on invoice. bad time:sad:

There is another way, don't use any courier service.
Use EMS, and ask Schiit to attach invoice of let's say $100.
Track the shipment carefully, it's good that you are located in B'lore. Once it reaches Bangalore GPO, go there and clear the custom, you will get it delivered to your home not more than 15 days.
You will end up paying 2/3 K max.

Schiit does not invoice lower than actual value. If someone can carry it (assuming they have nothing else of significant value), the item is under 45K limit.

Cheers,
Raghu

Looks like some people still haven't got the accompanied baggage rules. You can bring in goods worth Rs 45,000/- duty FREE ( if you are abroad for more than 3 days !) ! All DIY or audio related things we care for are duty free. Except possibly ( now) on TV imports. Duty on the 'difference' if it exceeds Rs 45K is about 36% .

They usually don't care about cheaper stuff in your baggage and only worry about large items and look at it's value. You can walk through the green channel MOST of the time !

Note that Chennai postal customs are VERY slow ( sometimes up to almost 2 months !) AND don't seem to follow duty rules. It can be anything from about 55% to 100% . You need to send it back for re-assessment but it never comes below about 55% ! This is even with the CORRECT value and item description on the package. Looks like some uneducated people man the desks there at postal customs !
Often unregistered parcels come through without duty !

Looks like some people still haven't got the accompanied baggage rules. You can bring in goods worth Rs 45,000/- duty FREE ( if you are abroad for more than 3 days !) ! All DIY or audio related things we care for are duty free. Except possibly ( now) on TV imports. Duty on the 'difference' if it exceeds Rs 45K is about 36% .

They usually don't care about cheaper stuff in your baggage and only worry about large items and look at it's value. You can walk through the green channel MOST of the time !

This...

You guys are overthinking it.

I walk in with lots of items and have never paid much customs duty for most items and especially electronic items. I even got a 22" iMac for my parents with no duty.

Just say nothing to declare and go through the green channel.

Even if you do have to pay, its still a lot cheaper than local D&D prices. 36% is actually very reasonable all things considered like getting the latest items.

In fact I got all my Schiit DACs direct to India instead of picking them up on US trips. They are truly VFM for what they cost and what they deliver even with duty added.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back