Screen Size in HT Room?

Raghav

My HT room is roughly 10' X 17' with a few extensions and niches for storage of equipment and cds/dvds. Image is attached below.

Now I want to know what size is most suitable for this room. I am going in for 4X3 format as the restraint is in the width and not height which is 102" till the ceiling. widescreen movies will show slightly smaller leaving black bars on top. Also the front wall with the screen is absolutely uncluttered except for 2 book shelf speakers to be placed on the side of the screen. The centre speaker is below the screen. All equipment is in the shaded niche at the back connected to PJ at the back wall.

I have shortlisted 2 sizes 7'X5' and 8'X6'. Which one of these is better suited to the room? Also I want motorised screen and what should be a good price and brand for the same? I have quotes of 17k and 23k respectively.

ROOM.jpg

check pdf if jpg is not clear.
View attachment ROOM.pdf
Raghav

Last edited:
My HT room is roughly 10' X 17' with a few extensions and niches for storage of equipment and cds/dvds. Image is attached below.

Now I want to know what size is most suitable for this room. I am going in for 4X3 format as the restraint is in the width and not height which is 102" till the ceiling. widescreen movies will show slightly smaller leaving black bars on top. Also the front wall with the screen is absolutely uncluttered except for 2 book shelf speakers to be placed on the side of the screen. The centre speaker is below the screen. All equipment is in the shaded niche at the back connected to PJ at the back wall.

I have shortlisted 2 sizes 7'X5' and 8'X6'. Which one of these is better suited to the room? Also I want motorised screen and what should be a good price and brand for the same? I have quotes of 17k and 23k respectively.

View attachment 2077

View attachment 2078
Raghav

i have almost similar setup except mine is perfectly rectangular = 10 x 21 with the screen size for 112" (9'3"). I am going for a 120" even if it comes on the larger side..
I wd recommend the 8' x 6' .. which brand are u getting for 23k?

It is a new one called VueMax or something similar. It is launched by Designer Audio (DAC) in Mumbai and since all my speaker cables, interconnects and most of the speakers are from them I would prefer them for the screen as well. Unless something is vastly cheaper or better.

i have almost similar setup except mine is perfectly rectangular = 10 x 21 with the screen size for 112" (9'3"). I am going for a 120" even if it comes on the larger side..
I wd recommend the 8' x 6' .. which brand are u getting for 23k?

Hello Raghav,

I think for watching movies on a 4 X 3 screen is not a good idea, unless you are going for the other screen too 16 x 9.

For a 17 feet room length, the screen size 102 inches is too big, keeping in mind that 17 feet, at end of the day is going to be only 12 feet if you are using recliners. There will be more problems also like front speaker placements keeping in mind that if one uses projector, then things have to be on a larger scale, there should be no book shelves.

V.

Raghav,

I think you should go only for a branded screen.

V.

It is a new one called VueMax or something similar. It is launched by Designer Audio (DAC) in Mumbai and since all my speaker cables, interconnects and most of the speakers are from them I would prefer them for the screen as well. Unless something is vastly cheaper or better.

Hi Vinay,

The screen is actually 100" in 4:3 format. This, I am keeping as the height is not a restraint. Also, the screen will be used for TV as well, like Sports (cricket, Football world cup etc..) so I thought to keep 4:3 as well.

Also the screen will be a 92" for 16:9 ratio and 87" for 2.35:1. This would mean that for majority movies the screen will be only 87". Therefore I thought that 7X5 will be fine. I am not not getting a full recliner. My viewing distance would be around 14 feet. What do you feel?

Regarding the branded screen, Designer-Audio have just entered the market for screens with the name Vue Max. In fact they have given an Ad in the latest AV Max. Its not that their screen will be the best. Da-lite, Panoview etc. could be better, but I am very comfortable dealing with Kshitij. He will ensure it is properly installed and service will be prompt and at my convenience. All my speaker cabling (3 rooms + terrace) and interconnects in the rooms are DAC and he has been very helpful so far. So, as long as the screen is not bad I prefer working with Designer-Audio.

Thanks
Raghav

p.s.: Projector lift not possible, but am trying to get the lighting automation done. Also implementing Wall Panelling and Armstrong Ceiling.

Hello Raghav,

I think for watching movies on a 4 X 3 screen is not a good idea, unless you are going for the other screen too 16 x 9.

For a 17 feet room length, the screen size 102 inches is too big, keeping in mind that 17 feet, at end of the day is going to be only 12 feet if you are using recliners. There will be more problems also like front speaker placements keeping in mind that if one uses projector, then things have to be on a larger scale, there should be no book shelves.

V.

Hi Raghav,

Indeed for beaming TV via projector, 4 X 3 screen is the best way to go forward.

I am confident that the screen size will be still bigger for your room size, in the early days you will enjoy it, later you may regret it, but one never knows one may just enjoy the big screen in your room size.

One of the things i would suggest is that you come to my place and spend a full day, i will set the screen image in different sizes, and then you try to take a call for which size you want to consider. I had actually done a dynamic dry run by painting my wall and then beamed the image via projector, i took several days to decide the screen sizes i will be comfortable with and then only i ordered them.

If the dealer is giving you a warranty for longer period then the branded screens, then you can consider.

V.

Hi Vinay,

The screen is actually 100" in 4:3 format. This, I am keeping as the height is not a restraint. Also, the screen will be used for TV as well, like Sports (cricket, Football world cup etc..) so I thought to keep 4:3 as well.

Also the screen will be a 92" for 16:9 ratio and 87" for 2.35:1. This would mean that for majority movies the screen will be only 87". Therefore I thought that 7X5 will be fine. I am not not getting a full recliner. My viewing distance would be around 14 feet. What do you feel?

Regarding the branded screen, Designer-Audio have just entered the market for screens with the name Vue Max. In fact they have given an Ad in the latest AV Max. Its not that their screen will be the best. Da-lite, Panoview etc. could be better, but I am very comfortable dealing with Kshitij. He will ensure it is properly installed and service will be prompt and at my convenience. All my speaker cabling (3 rooms + terrace) and interconnects in the rooms are DAC and he has been very helpful so far. So, as long as the screen is not bad I prefer working with Designer-Audio.

Thanks
Raghav

p.s.: Projector lift not possible, but am trying to get the lighting automation done. Also implementing Wall Panelling and Armstrong Ceiling.

If the dealer is giving you a warranty for longer period then the branded screens, then you can consider.

V.

I have not asked about the warranty period. But I am sure, I will not be left high and dry if something does bad. Also I have never used the warranty on any product for anything major and tend to rely on personal relation with the seller to get it rectified if it goes kaput. Also I checked out the screen in demo room and it looked good, with crisp picture quality. Also, I can get it replaced for different size if it does not go down well in the room.

I already have a 50" plasma in my parent's room. The only reason to go for a projector and screen costing 150k approx is to get a huge picture. Keep in mind it is only 87" for movies.

The offer to spend the day watching a movie is too good to give up on. Just a little tied up in the coming week and weekend. Will request you when I am more free.

Raghav

View attachment 2077

Now there is another issue. In the image you will see that the room width narrows to ten feet, 3 feet from the screen. Along that line a beam runs across the ceiling and it has a drop of 18".

Problem: With the presence of the beam at just 3 feet distance from screen, I will not be able to project to the top of the screen. This I presume will be blocked by the beam. Effectively if I buy a 80" X 60" screen, it will only function as a 80" X 45" (I should 3" as the screen will have a border at the top. otherwise it would be only 80X42 size) screen. The top 15" of the screen will be blocked by the beam

Any thoughts or suggestions?

View attachment 2077

View attachment 2078
Raghav

View attachment 2077

Now there is another issue. In the image you will see that the room width narrows to ten feet, 3 feet from the screen. Along that line a beam runs across the ceiling and it has a drop of 18".

Problem: With the presence of the beam at just 3 feet distance from screen, I will not be able to project to the top of the screen. This I presume will be blocked by the beam. Effectively if I buy a 80" X 60" screen, it will only function as a 80" X 45" (I should 3" as the screen will have a border at the top. otherwise it would be only 80X42 size) screen. The top 15" of the screen will be blocked by the beam

it wd help if u can post an actual photo of the beam with distance from the prj (modify the image, if u can to mark the specif points)

Is it possible to keep the screen the opposite direction? Incase, if you dont have enough space to keep the speakers, bring the speakers into the room (about 2ft from the screen) so that it will not block the view.

Not possible due to other aspects of the room like entrance and placement of doors. Plus as you said speakers were getting very cramped for space here.

Anyways now the wiring is complete for the PJ and Speakers. I just checked out that from where the PJ is we can project upto 3" above the beam because of the diagonal. I feel that a 80 X 60 screen will end up being used as a 80 X 45 screen. Thats is a pretty good 92" 16:9 screen.

I get the feeling that 96 X 72 will be too big a size.

Is it possible to keep the screen the opposite direction? Incase, if you dont have enough space to keep the speakers, bring the speakers into the room (about 2ft from the screen) so that it will not block the view.

Hello Raghav,

About your new problem, we all will try to take your forward though you also have got a sound mind on these matters, be prepared there could be many more problems coming and very importantly do a lot of drills on the work which you have completed and be assured that you will realize more errors etc, moral of the story is simple, plan well, no matter how much the delay happens otherwise you will have to semi live with un-satisfactory job etc.

It is simple forget buying the screen at this point of time.

I give good chances that inspite of the beam you will get the desired image you are looking for.

I think you should buy the projector and then beam the image on wall and see how much of the wall you can fill and then take a call for the screen and importantly there are projectors in market which can give bigger images from short distance of the projector mounting, like as you know i have two projectors in my mini theatre, the one which is hand held can give a very big image from a short distance.

V.

View attachment 2077

Last edited:
Back