Seagate FAT+ issues in Indexing content

sribuddy

Hi All,

So this is what happens to my FAT+:-

I copy the movie files into HD and plug into FAT+, the indexing content starts and takes anywhere between 4 mins to..... (exceedingly annoying) :annoyed:and hangs. My HD is a 500GB drive with 60 GB of movies.

Question - does anyone have this issue with FAT+. If no, then please let me know on the step by step process on how to go about reducing the time for indexing content...

Next, I plug in my 320 GB HD the indexing content starts and gets over in 5-10 mins (annoying again) :annoyed: and when done, i click on Movies it says 0 records.. no matter, how ever I browse through.....

I plug the device back to my PC and I can see movies??? not sure whats happening..:sad:

Please help.

check the partition table the fat+ supports.. also try resetting it to factory default..

any firmware updates.. see if there are any..

check if those are supported HDD as per the recommendations.

What brands are these HDs? I have seen a WD NAS reject a Seagate hard drive. It accepts only WD drives.

Cheers

Hi All,

I copy the movie files into HD and plug into FAT+, the indexing content starts and takes anywhere between 4 mins to..... (exceedingly annoying) :annoyed:and hangs. My HD is a 500GB drive with 60 GB of movies.

Question - does anyone have this issue with FAT+. If no, then please let me know on the step by step process on how to go about reducing the time for indexing content...

Next, I plug in my 320 GB HD the indexing content starts and gets over in 5-10 mins (annoying again) :annoyed: and when done, i click on Movies it says 0 records.. no matter, how ever I browse through.....

I plug the device back to my PC and I can see movies??? not sure whats happening..:sad:

Please help.

The long indexing time is a known issue with FAT+ . It happens with all drives and is maybe a shade faster if you use a Seagate Goflex.

Is your HDD FAT or NTFS? FAT+ has a problem with detecting and corrupting NTFS drives.

Are your file sizes larger than 4Gb?

Are you able to see smaller files?

Hope that helps.

Hi All,

Please help.

Did this problem start all of a sudden or has been there from the start? Try copying one file and playing the same. Atleast you will know whether it still hangs and there is some other problem. Try copying some other file format too. Try getting a file from a friend and playing the same. My guess is that there is some corrupt data which the player cannot read and therefore it hangs. This could be a physically damaged file or some unknown format. Silly me but I hope you eject the drive when you copy. Not ejecting the drive from pc also tends to create these problems. Try and do a windows copy paste of one of the files and not from some other proprietary backup software. Also try to run a simple dvd or a vcd file. Check and see.

Regards
Sid.

Hi All,

thanks for valuable suggestions and recommendations. I have a WD 500 GB NTFS drive... my daughter accidentally dropped the drive on the floor, and since then this issue.

the issue is with the entire drive... just indexing and nothing else. May be I need to reformat it. can someone tell me how to reformat the drive from NTFS to FAT32?

Which of this is more reliable?

I had 5 movies which were playing like charm before this incident happened and now even those movies are getting struck while playing.

I am running version 1.55, just updated from 1.26.

Please advise. thanks again to all.

thanks for valuable suggestions and recommendations. I have a WD 500 GB NTFS drive... my daughter accidentally dropped the drive on the floor, and since then this issue.

That would explain a lot - HDDs are very sensitive to sudden jolts.
can someone tell me how to reformat the drive from NTFS to FAT32?

Plug it in the computer - and then bring up the command line - then type

Format X: /FS:FAT32

Where X is the letter of the plugged in drive

do not reformat..

try to fix errors first..

also yes HDD's are very sensitive.. and thats one of the reason that it might not index..

do not reformat to FAT32 as you will not be able to copy any file larger than 4gb and you will have less storage space that ntfs..

right click the drive in computer > properties > tools > error-checking> check now> check the first box only..

also try to hear if any kind of clicking noises. generally u can hear the header clicking after these scenerio's... if thats the case it prone to complete failure or appear as an unidentified device..

so try to backup data asap and get it replaced stating that it sometimes work and sometimes does not work.. random behaviour...

if not covered under warranty.. open it up buy a 500gb 3.5in hdd and ur back..

but do try error fixing first.. it solves many problems...

Thanks TIH and Vardu,

I will use the option and see. if still iam unable to get the desired solution. will do a reformatting.

am using Seagate FAT + for me also same problem

and i found the solution

disconnect the usb drive from FAT+ and connect it to the computer

you can find one folder .theatre

you delete that folder after that you connect it to your FAT+ and switch on now it will work.

One question:
How to network my FAT+ with my PC? Can I connect the two directly with a LAN (Cat5) cable or do I need to do it through a router??

you can find one folder .theatre
you delete that folder after that you connect it to your FAT+ and switch on now it will work.

Is this a virus?

Shredder, to answer your question, an external HDD has to be connected to a PC, a player that can read drives, or as part of a NAS. A network or a router cannot read a drive directly.

Cheers

Is this a virus?

Shredder, to answer your question, an external HDD has to be connected to a PC, a player that can read drives, or as part of a NAS. A network or a router cannot read a drive directly.

Cheers

No my question was, if I want to access movies on my PC through the media player, can I do so by connecting the two directly with a LAN (Cat5) cable?

No my question was, if I want to access movies on my PC through the media player, can I do so by connecting the two directly with a LAN (Cat5) cable?

No, you cannot. You have to set up a local area network, assign IP addresses to the PC and the media player. When you do this, the media player will search the LAN, recognise the PC and show you the hard drive contents. The drives/directroy, BTW, have to be shared to be viewed on the network.

To set up a LAN you need a router.

Cheers

Following worked with WDTV -sometimes you might be able to get away by doing this

A crossover cable might not be required; ordinary CAT-5/e/6 will do.

Set the PC network adapter's TCP/IP settings to:

IP: 10.0.0.1
Subnet: 255.0.0.0

All other settings blank. And the media player set to:

IP: 10.0.0.2

All other settings blank.

This might work (very iffy depending on the peer devices) - else you can try the same with a Cross-Over cable.

Connecting them to a hub/router is the cleanest way to go through.

Following worked with WDTV -sometimes you might be able to get away by doing this

A crossover cable might not be required; ordinary CAT-5/e/6 will do.

Set the PC network adapter's TCP/IP settings to:

IP: 10.0.0.1

All other settings blank. And the media player set to:

IP: 10.0.0.2

All other settings blank.

This might work (very iffy depending on the peer devices) - else you can try the same with a Cross-Over cable.

Connecting them to a hub/router is the cleanest way to go through.

Thanks a lot. So a standard straight through cable will be enough to connect the two devices together?? Even if it does not work, are you sure that there will be no fireworks at either end???

Thanks a lot. So a standard straight through cable will be enough to connect the two devices together?? Even if it does not work, are you sure that there will be no fireworks at either end???

Usually for any normal Tx/Rx between two peers the choice is cross-over but since you mentioned having a standard cat you can give it a shot and it worked once with another similar device.

At worst it won't work - no fireworks are to be expected :).

FIREWORKS ..... wont happen.. just connect them with a normal lan cable...

assign manual ip to both of them..

and you are good.. then map it as a network drive and no need to type IP again and again..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back